Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto oil capacity
RichardK

posted on 5/8/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto oil capacity

I'm confused! Ok it doesn't take much but the oil capacity doesn't seem right.

Drained it all out about 2.5 litres, I basically measured the capacity of the bit of sump I chopped and deducted this off the 3.75 recommended amount when a new filter is fitted as well and didn't think no more of it.

But as I have had my engine running a couple of times have noticed a slight leak from the sump gasket. I also noticed it was above the max on the dipstick.

Thought I would double check the amount of oil just in case I had made a mistake and drained out 2.5 litres.

I have now put oil back into the engine and it took only about 1 litre of oil to reach max on the dip stick.

Seems a small amount to me.

What is the concensus of opinion, would you put 2.5 litres back in and forget about the dip stick or leave it at 1 litre and have it right on the stick?

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 5/8/07 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 5/8/07 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm confused now!

Are you saying your sump only holds 1 litre of oil? This won't even fill the galleries in the block when it's running and your pickup will be sucking on air.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RichardK

posted on 5/8/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thats why I'm confused

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 5/8/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder if the dip stick is the wrong type, it touches the bottom of the sump when it pushed fully home, is this correct?

Here is a picture of my chopped sump which is exactly in line with the bottom of the bellhousing.

My dipstick is 432mm from the oil end tip to the stopper which stops the stick being pushed in any further. The outer dipstick tube is 223mm in length.

Rich

mark chandler

posted on 5/8/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult.... so back to first principles.

When running the crank should not dip into the oil, so your running oil level should be at least 1/2" below the crank.

So do you know how far the crank protudes into the sump (if it has a shallow front end then the crank will be getting close to here so take this as the level.

Re-calibrate the dipstick to this level, if you indeed only have 1 litre of oil on refill I,d weld on some wings because thats not going to be enough.

Regards Mark

RichardK

posted on 5/8/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
My instinct is telling me that the donor has has the wrong dip fitted at some time as it hits the bottom of the sump and the min/max markings on the dipstick are close to the end of the stick (11mm) so this would mean that I only have that small area of oil with a depth of 11mm as said in earlier post that the stick touches the bottom as you can hear it tap the bottom when pushed in.

Can anyone confirm how long theirs is please?

Doing some web searching it appears that the Granada pinto dip stick was marked max about an inch lower than it is on a normal sierra, hopefully this is my problem solved. Just need to confirm.

TIA

Rich

DarrenW

posted on 4/10/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Did you get this sorted Richard? Ive also had issues with ex-granada Pinto, but im sure youve read those.

Strangely my tube measures 290mm from block to top (in a straight line rather than following the curve).
I have also tried a 450 long dipstick and this too appears to hit the bottom of the sump (although i cant see inside to confirm so it may be hitting a baffle plate.

From my research std sierra pinto dipsticks are 537mm to upper level mark, 460mm to lower level mark and 466mm overall.

What does your dipstick look like? The one that came with my engine was soild bar (ie not spring type) and 377mm to upper level, 402mm to lower level and 423mm overall.

You seem to have yet another variation on dipsticks and tubes!

mat.price

posted on 5/10/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pinto 205 and the dipstick is 455mm from tip (oil side) to the stopper bit and I’ve have put about 3.25 litres in and there’s a mark on the about 5mm below the min mark but the sump gasket is split as it was the old one
Got one today so will be fitting it tomorrow
I will try to measure the sump etc up as I got it from tiger
Seems I’ve been having the opposite trouble with the dipstick

DarrenW

posted on 6/10/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
455 to the tip makes it shorter than Jackos. Where is the upper and lower marks? If shorter then it will take more oil. My old dipstick (ie no. 1) is slightly short and easy to slightly overfill. Jacko's is a bit longer.

Compare to my recent posts and you will see what i mean. Dont forget to compare dipstick tube length.

mat.price

posted on 7/10/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
This is the dipstick that was with the engine that im using
To the top level it 420 and to the bottom level it's 444
The tube is 290 just like yours
As you can see the dipstick is the spring type
i take it that’s the wrong type then? Rescued attachment dipstick.jpg
Rescued attachment dipstick.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 7/10/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
It coulod be the right type Matt. Your stick is exactly the same as my old one that i have now started to use again. I wonder if the colour is anything to do with it? Mine is red as well. I think Andy's is different colour.

I used to run old block between lower mark and middle. Any higher and it wasnt happy (heavy breathing started).
Andy and Jackos marks are a touch longer and i know if Andy runs over halfway he starts to get problems. His halfway is virtually same as my top level mark.

Take a look at the measurements etc in my other post and you will see the overlap.

The big question is - which is right? and why the difference? Im going to recalibrate my stick. Ive added 4l into the sump (amount depends on how your sump is modded i think). If this doesnt chuck any out im probs going to add a bit (200ml?) and keep going till it chuck some out. The previous level can be the mid point then i can mark upper and lower accordingly.

This is my theory anyway, make your own mind up before following suit.

jacko

posted on 7/10/07 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi my tube is 300mm long
dipstick is from the top437mmto the top mark and 460 to the bottom mark
the plastic bit is whitenot red
i have tow sticks both from 20l pintos and both the same
Jacko
Ps but please ckeck and double ckeck dont damage your engine by getting it wrong

[Edited on 7/10/07 by jacko]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.