Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil filter question
albertz

posted on 7/8/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Oil filter question

I am in the latter stages of fitting a new 2.0 blacktop Zetec to my Locost. I am having real difficulty fitting the alternator, due to the size and positioning of the Griffin Power Systems inlet plenum.

I can get the LRA100 alternator in postion, but cannot get any tensioning rotation due to the proximity of the oil filter and the plenum chamber. Tonight, I bit the bullet and "persuaded" the oil filter to move down a wee bit, by generally deforming it on the end with a mallet.

I was wondering what implications this will have (bit late i know!!), is it just a loss of filtering capcity or will there be something more sinister? Bearing in mind the filter is probably good for 20K and that my annual mileage is less than 1K, will i get away with this, or should i buy a shorter filter as a precaution?

Any help appreciated, as always.

RichardK

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
remote oil filter, or thinner filter needed.

Job done

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Renault 5 filter = £5-8

Fresh 2L black top ~£250

= No brainer

David Jenkins

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I use a shorter Renault 4/5 filter on my x-flow - on the basis that I'll probably change the oil once a year anyway (2 to 3 thousand mile interval).

Fram PH2874
Halfords HOF266

This presumes that either will fit your motor, of course!

oadamo

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Renault 5 filter = £5-8

Fresh 2L black top ~£250

= No brainer

pmsl

albertz

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, your obviously right. I'll get a Renault 5 filter. Really i was just wondering if the dent at one corner (does a circle have corners?) would affect the performance significantly. - Whats the point in taking the chance eh!!

Cheers

Somebody has to ask the stupid questions to make you lot sound clever answering them......

[Edited on 7/8/07 by albertz]

BenB

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Some filters have a pop-valve on the end of the filter that gets activated if sludge collects in the filter. Works on the principle that if you don't change the filter its better for some crud to get into the engine than loose oil pressure.....

Potentially if you deform the end of the filter that could pop-out the valve causing you to loose all filtering and allowing pure crud to enter the oil passageways

Some filters don't have the valves though.....

[Edited on 7/8/07 by BenB]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.