Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Custom alternator belt supplier?
albertz

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Custom alternator belt supplier?

I think i have now managed to fit my alternator to my 2.0 Zetec. However, due to having to fabricate brackets etc i will need a unknown lenght belt. Basically i have two questions;

1). Where can i buy a multi vee belt of custom length.

2). When measuring the belt do i measure from the inside of the vee, all the way around (with alternator set at a tight position) i.e. with a narrow piece of string that sits right into the groove?

Any advice gratefully received. Cheers.

oadamo

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
i just put some string around where the belt went then went to the local motor factor and he found one that was just the size. make sure the tensioner is all the way in tho
adam

big_wasa

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thread a bit of string around and measure it.

Spent loads of time in halfords to find one.

HB 925 G = 925mm long and the belt patern on the zetec is G as fitted to Ford Galaxy Diesel.

BenB

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
If you go to the Contitech website you can find the length of various multirib belts then cross-reference to an OEM part and either buy off a main dealer or a parts shop.

Otherwise I asked Think Auto and they had various sizes of the 6-rib belt I needed. In fact there was more than enough choice..... Not sure how competitive Think Auto prices are but their belts were only about 10 quid which seems reasonable enough for me!

albertz

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, this site just never fails eh!
higgsti

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
brammer bearings also do belts i got my dry sump belts from there
owelly

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you need to give a belt over the counter for some parts monkey to match for you, just cut an old belt to the right size and give them that! Try to cut out the bit of belt that has the size on it as it can confuse some folks when you are trying to explain what it is you want. "no, you don't have an original part number, no, you can't give them the make and model of car and no, giving them the reg of the vehicle won't help...."

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
halfords have belts out on display; the part number has the legnth as part of it.

so take you piece of string and buy a couple belts on either side of what your measure )think they are 5 cm increments?) and KEEP RECEIPT so you can get refund - better than having to return for a different one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.