Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Back on the bodywork again....
Alan B

posted on 4/9/03 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Back on the bodywork again....

Just in case you thought I'd done a runner or something..

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/Bodywork%203.htm

At least it is a lot quicker than the first time around.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 5/9/03 at 04:01 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, That must have killed you to break the body up like that and cover it with fillers... With so much time and effort spent on the first go-round. Or are you excited to get the new look going?

In either case, I think it's fantastic what you're doing in muggy, hot Florida!

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 5/9/03 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Alan,

the rear end from the left hand pic is my preference and if i had to choose the front end, from the right, but from the angle you've given I think I preferred how it was originally. sorry, but i know you like all feedback whichever way it goes!

keep up the good work.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

pbura

posted on 5/9/03 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
You're really moving along, Alan, congratulations!

Just curious: How do you control your dimensions? Are you sculpting by eye, or have you made templates?

Pete

Alan B

posted on 5/9/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Steve:

Thanks. I'm driven now by the thought of the revised shape.....it really is nowhere near as much work as the first time as many edges, hard points etc. are already defined.

Ned:

That's the way it goes I guess...I still appreciate the feedback though.....

Pete:

Cheers. The first side is largely by eye, but the second side is copied using a combination of measurements, templates, and doctored (reversed) photos.

Noodle

posted on 5/9/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
Just curious: How do you control your dimensions? Pete

A calorie-controlled diet and exercise

pbura

posted on 5/9/03 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
Just curious: How do you control your dimensions? Pete

A calorie-controlled diet and exercise

Huh, I'll have to try that. So far I've been relying on radical surgery and bulemia!

Pete

Noodle

posted on 5/9/03 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
My neighbour's a bulemic amnesiac. She's fat.

Neil

Hugh Paterson

posted on 8/9/03 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
New profile

Hi Alan, what r u using to paint the filler with when u have the profile the way u want it?
regards
Shug.

Alan B

posted on 8/9/03 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
There is a paint here called "Kilz".....it is a primer/sealer.

I put about 10 coats on and it is hard enough to sand with wet and dry 1000 grit or finer. Good thing is it dries very quickly too...and is not expensive.

http://www.masterchem.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=23

sgraber

posted on 9/9/03 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
Alan, how many hours do you estimate that you have spent on body work and how does that compare to the amount of time you have spent on the rest of the build? *NOT* including the amount of time you spend bullshitting on the forum with us lackeys!

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

merkurman

posted on 9/9/03 at 02:53 AM Reply With Quote
are you using kilz or kilz2?

if you are using plain kilz then that shop must be pretty fumey after a weekend of painting it.

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

Hugh Paterson

posted on 9/9/03 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Paint buildup

Cheers Alan I like the sound of "cheap"
I normally use 2 pack Hi build, or poly Hi build both anything but cheap,Just thinking of alternatives you see
Regards
Shug.

Alan B

posted on 9/9/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Steve:

Difficult question. Certainly it is more than it need have been with going through this current re-work. Rough estimate for a complete first set of body panels (if say for instance I was doing it again from scratch...) would be around 500 hours....
My best advice would be to have a very good plan/design/model to work to (like I have now) rather than making it up as you go along and re-working stuff (like I did at first)

Nick:

It is just plain Kilz. I don't recall excessive fumes, although I wore a fume mask and then opened the doors and walked away afterwards. After about 30 minutes of good ventilation it seemed clear again. Of course it is something to be aware of and take suitable precautions.

Shug:

Reading the Kilz spec, it says it an Alkyd primer...(whatever that means)....must be something similar in the UK I'd have thought...but yeah, very cheap less than $10 (6 quid) a gallon IIRC.....

Hugh Paterson

posted on 9/9/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Primer

Alan Mmmmmm, yup we have similar gunk here, must be the heat in your part of the world that makes it go so quick, a typical Alkyd primer here does not flash off so fast, its also a wee bit more expensive. I use Durabuild primer as well as the Crystal clear gloss that finishes the surface. Its good stuff but even with a chemical mask and extractors going full tilt boogy you can get Gagaaaa quite fast. Its almost as good as the dope I used to paint my model aircraft with
This is an American product
I will get the suppliers address for you to do a search for it near u. I would not be surprised to find you can get it for half the price I pay for it here.
Shug.

tadltd

posted on 9/9/03 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Paterson
... Its good stuff but even with a chemical mask and extractors going full tilt boogy you can get Gagaaaa quite fast. Its almost as good as the dope I used to paint my model aircraft with...

So THAT explains it! Or is that just your excuse...?!

Steve.

Alan B

posted on 10/9/03 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
I was going to blame the haggis...
Hugh Paterson

posted on 10/9/03 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hedgehogs in Corams?

Har har har, Do your bloody panelling yerself smart ass, Whos the dude trying to be cool in the blue Car
Anyway beats sniffing butane
Shug.

Spyderman

posted on 10/9/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
My personal favourite is Glass fibre polyester resin.
I could sniff that stuff all day. Or at least till I fall over!

Could never get the hang of butane. Kept getting singed eyebrows and nose hair!

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 10/9/03 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Erm....Terry you aren't supposed to.............oh never mind........
MrFluffy

posted on 10/9/03 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ill second alan, its a bugger to get the resin out your nose hairs once its gone off

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.