Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering rack adjustment
locoboy

posted on 14/8/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
steering rack adjustment

I am trying to overcome my self centering problems.

I have a non adjustable castor set up.

I want to set my wheels kind of dead ahead then adjust the same amount in or out on each wheel which should keep them on the same deg toe in or out and see how i get on.

I have taken my rack extensions off and the TRE.
I have the same number of threads on the end of each side of the rack but when i set the rack extension the same number of thread turns out from fully home on the rack and hook it up to the uprights my wheels are no where near doing the same thing!

Are the racks lop sided as standard or am i barking up the wrong tree and missing something obvious?

ATB
Locoboy

rusty nuts

posted on 14/8/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Have you centralised the rack? turn to full lock then turn in opposite direction and count the number of turns, divide by 2 and turn steering wheel by that amount. Then set your track rods etc. Some cars have a removable bung in the rack which enables you to insert a locking pin which sets rack to central position , not sure if that is possible on the Ford racks . Once you are happy with steering settings you may have to disconnect the splined coupling from your rack and turn until steering wheel is central .
eagle

posted on 14/8/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
nice to see the car nearly finished
I had to reweld my top wishbones to get the correct castor
It sorted the problem rather thanquick fix for the test

mark chandler

posted on 14/8/07 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
If the rack is off centre it does not matter, what you need to do is feel in the gators for the knuckle joints and get these the same on both sides relative to the wishbone bushes.

Now pluck off the steering wheel and set to 12 oclock and set the track rods up to the same length each side.

If the rack now gives say 2 1/2 turns on e way, 1 1/2 turns the other you will need to make a spacer to fit behind the knuckle that is travelling to far to restrict its movement.

If you centralise the rack and its fixed in the wrong place then you will have bump steer issues + each side will behave differently.

Regards Mark

britishtrident

posted on 15/8/07 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
With a manual Streering rack centering will have little or no effect on self centering. The main effect it will have is on bump steer.

While you have it in bits make sure the rack isn't binding towards full lock in either direction --- ie the rack damper pad spring adjustment isn't causing too much friction. ---- as racks normally wear noticeably only around the centre position it is quite common to find a rack has been over adjusted so it is perfect around straight ahead but binds on full lock.

[Edited on 15/8/07 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.