Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: velocity xt
Flick

posted on 14/8/07 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
velocity xt

Hi
Hopefully ill be picking up a xt kit in three weeks time. its not new but has never been started. Its got all the bits ready for a zetec, but after building a st with blade engine in the past im inclined to go for a bike engine. Ive never been in a cec only ever bec so am not in a position to compare. Just wondered if anyone had any experience, advice or pointers? I know theres a couple of folks who have put bike engines in xt's and beleive there is a few mods to be made to the chassis(although not major) and would probably have to get cradle made.
Perhaps I should just stick with a zetec? or should I go for something a bit different?
Flick

Andybarbet

posted on 15/8/07 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
if you decide against using the zetec, let me know if you w ant rid of the zetec bits
richard thomas

posted on 15/8/07 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flick
Perhaps I should just stick with a zetec? or should I go for something a bit different?
Flick

2.9 24v cosworth? Be tight.....if it fits at all.
Mazda RX7? Don't know if it'll fit though....
Vauxhall 16v?

neilj37

posted on 15/8/07 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Have a chat with Ben Lord at Luego as he is currently building a bike powered car. Not sure whether its a Velocity or Viento or what engine it is but sounded okay
Steve Lovelock

posted on 19/8/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
There is a chap around who has built a Velocity with a bike engine. He took it to one of the shows earlier on in the summer. I'm sure someone will know who he is and can point you in the right direct for first hand feedback.

I think that bike engines are ok for track cars but if it is to be used on the road at all then car engines are more effective. This is a hot topic of debate though and I can't see the benefit of going over it again.

Loads of cars have the Zetec in and I'm sure that the owners are happy with them. I'm currently building an XT with a Vauxhall 16V which I am hoping will be lively. Otherwise how about an MR2 16V engine if you have the money as they seem like a good balence between the two worlds?

Flick

posted on 19/8/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
hhhmmm..... shall give it some thought over next few weeks - not an easy decision for me as I really have no preference.
last car I built - KNEW I wanted the blade engine This one, really dont know....

Gazza

posted on 21/8/07 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I originally looked at the bike engine route - then went for a car engine - 4AGE from RAW. Revs nice and high 8,000rpm and sounds nice too!

Just a bag o' rusty spanners

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.