Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Metal chop saw
quadra

posted on 21/8/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Metal chop saw

I am in the market for a metal chop saw, I have done a search on here and there seems to be pro's and con's for both abrasive cut blade types and proper metal saw blade types. Does anyone have a recommendation for a chop saw with options to cut at differing angles. I have a wood chop saw which I bought 5 years ago and it is brilliant for speed and accuracy of cut. I find using a hacksaw ok but it takes time to get a perfect angle.

Cheers Mike

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

clockwork

posted on 21/8/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a rage 2. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/rage2-pro-355mm-multi-purpose-cut-off-saw-230
You can change the angle of cut easily enough, but it will not do compound cuts. Saying that I don't do many of them.
I would recommend it as it is much quicker than a hacksaw and I get little enough time to do my build as it is. Saying that I haven't tried the angle grinder trick.
Machine mart do Vat free days, unfortunately I bought mine before one so paid pretty much the price on the website :-(

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
"Well if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" Morons the world over.

Locost/Kit builders info and FAQ website:- www.carbuilders.info

nasty-bob

posted on 21/8/07 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a compound mitre saw and replaced the blade with a abrasive disc.

This works really well- saves loads of time and can be quite accurate.

Get a fairly cheap one (not too cheap- I paid £90 for a rexon one) forget about the laser and if it has one remove it as it will melt.

Likewise with the dust bag and the plastic slotted bit in the base.

Even better though- screwfix no stock a compound mitre saw called Rage that will cut steel with the TCT disc and no sparks, about £150

ATB

sammy

posted on 21/8/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I got the Rage Multi Mitre saw from B&Q.
Works well, but I find that the blade doesnt seem to last long when cutting through 3mm steel sheet.

Don't know if the blades can be sharpened, seems plenty of meat left on the cutting edge?

Build diaries...

the_fbi

posted on 21/8/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the market for a cut off / chop saw at the moment too. But can't justify spending much as its only for one prototype part for work. Hacksaw or grinder would do the job, but a cut off saw would be a nice to have for the future.

I have my eye on this, which I think is a bargain. May not be top quality but as long as it cuts where its told to, can't see why not to....

Price includes VAT and carriage too, which is even better (£52.99)

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_59/corded-power-tools/workshop-and-site-saws/250011-4-horse-power-14-355mm-metal-cut-off-saw.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.