New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mercedes 190e
bigstuboy

posted on 22/8/07 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
mercedes 190e

has anyone used a merc 190 as a doner car
ned

posted on 22/8/07 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I know someone has fitted the 190 cosworth motor...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 22/8/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
The thought has crossed my mind as I use a 190E every day...

speedyxjs

posted on 22/8/07 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
The advantage of building your own car is that you can have whatever spec you want. Im using a jag xj40 so if you want to use a 190e then why not? I've made my engine bay longer and wide though so you may need some chassis mods aswell.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

bob

posted on 22/8/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
I know someone has fitted the 190 cosworth motor...

Ned.

That 190 cosworth might well be available soon ish, will have to check but JB has purchased a brand new zetec to replace in the new project.

dream

posted on 22/8/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
190e

The 190 parts are far too heavy for a seven.
You can better try mx5 parts or 200sx.

Matty Dog

posted on 22/8/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
From what I recall, the 190E uses multi-link rear end, rather then double wishbones. The Mk3 Toyota Supra that I have used as a donor uses a similar setup. The problem that I found is that the point at which the rear trailing arm mounts to the chassis is pretty much exactly the same place the driver and passenger would sit. I have decided to convert the Supra rear end into a double wishbone arrangement to get around this problem, which I am hoping will work. It does make me think that perhaps I should have just used a more suitable rear end to start off with.
chrisg

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking at the190 as a possible donor for the second edition of the book.

The problems with the rear are that the rear uprights are fixed to five seperate links none of which are in plane with either the axle centreline or the wheel mounting face.

I think this can be overcome by the fabication of a new upright with a machined bearing carrier, This also applies to the Vauxhall Omega/Carlton/Senator range

There might be a way to use the original upright by fabricating top and botom bridging pieces, but I'm not that far on as yet.

The front upright may be usable, it has a top and bottom ball joint, which maybe suitable for mounting to a double wishbone/coilspringdamper set-up.

Again I haven't done the calculations yet but with a blank canvas for wishbone pivots etc, it should be possible to get a workable geometry for the upright.

As standard the upright steers from the rear, which could be a problem regarding engine clearance, but the steering arm is a bolt on unit and it may be possible to swap them side for side or fabricate new arms which front steer.

The four cylinder engines are tall, about the same as the pinto, I don't think this will be a problem in the Haynes Roadster, but could be in a Locost chassis.

The six cylinder engines are the same height but 300mm longer and quite heavy.

Gearbox wise the tunnel will need widening, probably about the same as for the MT75 mods on my forum.

Nothing is impossible, but you do need access to the right suspension software to ensure that any changes work, don't got bolting stuff on and crossing your fingers.

If I can work out how to take diagrams from PDF's i'll post some pictures of the bits.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.