Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: axles again... toyota hilux?
blakep82

posted on 27/8/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
axles again... toyota hilux?

Hi, i'm back on the axle thing again.

considered the one i've already got. its too wide and only 5 studs (i need 6 to match the front)

Capri 2.8i, the same basically as they use for the racing trucks, but 4 studs, and so i'd need the new driveshafts, hubs and brake discs caliper etc. all available, but at a price.

been told on here to look at volvo axles. not enough bolts, and the 6 stud hubs would be even more difficult to find, and more expensive to have made up

considering toyota hilux now... same bolt pattern as the bedford midi uprights i have on the front. don't know what width they are...

so, question to every one on here is,

1) do you have a toyota hilux with live axle on the back?
2) what's the stud PCD?
and
3) whats the distance between the outer faces of the brake drums? ideally looking for 58"

cheers!
Blake

[Edited on 1/9/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ned

posted on 27/8/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's a good job you're not being too specific

Just checked outside for you but afraid I dont own a hilux

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 27/8/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
how important is the bore size

[Edited on 27/8/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

zilspeed

posted on 27/8/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible you've backed the wrong pony with the Bedford front uprights ?

You seem to be ploughing a new furrow with that choice of ironmongery which is clearly causing an issue with your choice of back axle.

blakep82

posted on 27/8/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Is it possible you've backed the wrong pony with the Bedford front uprights ?

You seem to be ploughing a new furrow with that choice of ironmongery which is clearly causing an issue with your choice of back axle.

the bedford uprights are the ones they use for racing, so the chassis is built around them (not by me) and i'd like to use the same axle they use for racing (capri 2.8) but they're very hard to find.

locost_bryan

posted on 28/8/07 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Give Jeremy Clarkson a call at Top Gear - they've got one sitting out the back and the axles really are indestructible.

Hilux PCD is 139.7mm, rear track is 1405-1425mm (depending on year and wheels/tyres).

Good news is most have LSD as standard.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

DIY Si

posted on 28/8/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Would it not be easier to just re-drill the rear drums to get a 6 stud pattern? Or use a suitable steel plate to adjust the pattern?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

blakep82

posted on 1/9/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
^ its still too wide, and i'm not keen on drilling holes in brake parts.

bah, i've changed my mind again... I'm going for an atlas axle again... was there any difference in strength between 1.6, 2l and 2.8 capris? ie are all the casings the same, just different half shafts, or are they all as strong as the next one?

[Edited on 1/9/07 by blakep82]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.