Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyres for BEC
Avoneer

posted on 30/8/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Tyres for BEC

A539 for all year use or A048's or Toyo's for asthetics and less grip in winter/rain ???

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortie

posted on 30/8/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I use R888 but I don't really use the car in the wet, I would suggest you'd find it hard to beat a set of Toyo T1-R's or if you can still get them T1-S's

Rich.

stuart_g

posted on 30/8/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
What about the Parada spec-2 from Yokohama?
higgsti

posted on 30/8/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
what rim size
if 13" id go 048 or 888.best alround 13" tyre id say are 021s yoko
if 15" marangoni zeta linea at £29 a tyre there as soft as the above and supposedly good in the wet and if they did these in 13" id give them a try

[Edited on 30/8/07 by higgsti]

Hellfire

posted on 30/8/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pat, do you not already have a set of slicks for trackdays? If so, just go for Toyo T1-Rs (or similar) for the road...

Phil

TimC

posted on 30/8/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
A539 are more progressive than Toyo T1-S/R IMHO.

BenB

posted on 30/8/07 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
My only worry about a539s (like what I've got on my motor) is that my bro calls them ditch hunters because apparantly the rubber quickly loses it grip (ie after a year or two). Mine are now 5 years old
nitram38

posted on 30/8/07 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not only are T1-R's a good tyre, they are very quiet and suffer lower road roar compared to Goodyear etc.
Another recommendation from me

alanr

posted on 31/8/07 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running with 888's on my MNR Blade and they are brilliant - tyre pressure is important to get right with a light car - I run at 15psi all round and it works for me - they even handle OK in the wet if you don't go to mad

A

2b_pablo

posted on 31/8/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
IM going 888s on the front and a good road tyre on the rear. on the track the front end was the only end to give bother (prob due to the 2ton pinto lump). had a habit of pushing the nose a lot.

plus I like to explore the limits of traction the odd time and the thought of constantly putting 888s on the rear would kill me!

smart51

posted on 31/8/07 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have T1-S at the moment and they're not as grippy as the Pirelli P6000 that came with my wheels. I won't have T1-S again.

[Edited on 3-9-2007 by smart51]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 31/8/07 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I had a go on a set of A539s at Spa on a mate's Megablade and was pleasently suprised at how grippy they were.

Ben - are you sure they did 539s 5 years ago? I thought the A539 replaced the A509 which is what I have on an old set of rims and are indeed crap, they arent even very good in the wet.

NS Dev

posted on 31/8/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
A048R's would be my choice if wet use is very limited!!!!!!

I have been absolutely shocked by their level of grip in my car.

Its a CEC not BEC but still 560kg so not that different.

They grip unbelieveably, its actually an effort to provoke oversteer, which is not a normal 7 trait!! They also grip plenty well enough to require a dry sump, no amount of foam fill and baffling stops the surge!! which is unfortunate!!

[Edited on 31/8/07 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 31/8/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
PS for comedy value the other day I tried some P6000 pirellis that were on some spare rims and by comparison to the yokos they felt like driving on ice, absolutely no grip at all in any gear!!

Also tried the Avon ZV3's off my road car, again sideways at a touch of the throttle, on a bend where the yokos will take full chat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Avoneer

posted on 1/9/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, to further the pondering.....

I have 4 wheels with slicks, that'd I don't think I'll ever use after finding how good the A048's were today at Elvington and hearing that they may push my wet sump past it's limits so that leaves me 4 spare wheels once I ditch the slicks.

Two of the A048's on my car at the mo are now beyond legal limits.

I have 4 new cheapies that came on the wheels before I put the part worn A048's on them.

I will be doing track (ocassionaly) and intend to drive on the road all year round, just not every day.

Shall I get a set of A539 and put them on my nice road wheels.

Buy 2 more A048's to replace the shagged ones and put these on my track day wheels and use them for track days?

R888 come in cheaper than A048's so could just buy 4 of them and use them for road and track?

Or just buy 4 A539's and use them for track and road and spend more time going sideways on the track?

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
2b_pablo

posted on 2/9/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
stick the 4 cheap and nasties on, that will be a fun trackday
Avoneer

posted on 2/9/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thought about that, but I want to be quick and not swap ends!

Pat...

Hellfire

posted on 2/9/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Go for R888's all round, they're a great tyre. Are your slicks 15" and if so, can we have first refusal if you decide to get rid?

Phil

Avoneer

posted on 2/9/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, they're proper sized.

13"

Pat...

NS Dev

posted on 2/9/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
glad you got on well with the A048's, they are excellent!

I would go with two sets of wheels if you are going to do some road miles, as the a048's wont last long on the road and obviously aren't all that cheap.

Spend a few quid and get some road ones and a new set of A048R's for the track.

True multipurpose tyres don't really exist, track use kills most road tyres and anything with a true wet tread at full, new, depth, will flex so much that it disintegrates on the track (i'm bearing in mind that you seem to be a proper track user and not one that fannies about!!! )

For the road, I really don't know what to recommend as I have never used 539's and I use the 48's, but they ain't going to do much more than 2000 miles the way they are going. (they are medium compound ones)

Basically, anything harder wearing and better in the wet is going to seem poor in the dry compared to the 48's!!

[Edited on 2/9/07 by NS Dev]

Avoneer

posted on 2/9/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
That kind of sums it up nicely Mr NS Dev.

Gonna get some A539's on my nice wheels - used them on my Avon and they are very good (and cheap).

Put the two "intact" A048's on my track wheels and buy two more for the other two track wheels.

Pat...

Avoneer

posted on 2/9/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Or would work out cheaper to buy 4 R888's and hope they are ok cold and in the wet!

Pat...

procomp

posted on 2/9/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi yoko A048's all the way.

The 888 are not all they are cracked up to be when compared to the yokos on the limits. Most peoples expirience of them is driving on the road.

cheers matt

ChrisGamlin

posted on 2/9/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify, although I said I was impressed with the 539s on track, they still arent a patch on 032/048s for ultimate grip so would agree with the conclusion to go with A048s on one set of rims, and 539s for road / wet trackday use.

procomp

posted on 3/9/07 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Yep the A539's are an excelent all rounder if using mainly for road use. However no longer in production so check the date stamp if purchacing any.

Have been replace with the new C-drive or somthing simallar in name.

cheers matt

[Edited on 3/9/07 by procomp]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.