Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Re-taxing my car - MoT required?
nick205

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Re-taxing my car - MoT required?

Went to re-tax the MK this moring with log book, insurance cert and tax renewal reminder in hand. Woman at PO says I need an MoT certificate or else she can't issue a new tax disc!

Car was SVA'd, registered and taxed (6 months) in March 2007. I was under the impression that it wouldn't require an MoT for 3 years, but after speaking to the DVLA they pointed out the log book states the car was first registered on 31/08/89 (as per donor car) and has been issued with an age related plate.

What's the situation - do I now need to get it MoT'd before I can re-tax it?

fesycresy

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Taxed mine online. 1 year after SVA and on a J plate.

No need for an MOT for three years.

Do it online, at least the computer knows the score.

HTH

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

rayward

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
i had the same thing, and ended up having to mot the car,

others have manage to speak to th dvla and get it sorted

i have an age related plate

Ray

Benzine

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Big branch post office said the same thing to me. I took it to a small local village PO and they did it after I explained date of first reg, mind you mine is 2006 not 89 like yours...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it was first registered on that date but it has evolved into a new car so should have been 'newly' registered when you passed sva etc.

I would contest it to be honest.

Failing that if you cant be bothered to run the muppet gauntlet just get an MOT on it.

speaking of which i got my DVLA chassis inspection dont today, quick and easy although i did have a giggle when the woman doing the inspection said,

'oh i see you have opted for the hayabua, good choice!'

I thought she read it on the paperwork and had the wrong details on it, i began to painic and sait that it was a yamaha R1, she then went on to try to tell me that it looked like a hayabusa and that the better of the yamaha engines to use in a BEC was the R6......................

I just grunted and let her carry on with her uninteresting days work, good to see that the money i put into the civil service coffers isnt going to waste and they are all well educated!

ATB
Locoboy

tom_loughlin

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Take it to a different post office, armed with the reminder bit - when they scan it - their system tells them what then need to see. I did mine a week ago (No MOT),
but, a mate of mine is being prosectued at the mo for driving with no MOT (therefore invalidates insurance etc...) - his car was registered same as my (ex) car - Jan 06.

swings and roundabouts if you ask me!

02GF74

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
DVLA they pointed out the log book states the car was first registered on 31/08/89 (as per donor car) and has been issued with an age related plate.

the situation is your registration document is wrong - the fact you have age related plate is neither here nor there.

Either get the document changed or get MOT.

DarrenW

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I taxed mine at local small PO. Girl tried to tell me it needed MOT. I explained registration date and opened the door (well actually Pat Mangogrooveworkshop did) and she seemed to get flustered and gave me the tax anyway.

6 months after SVA i tried to tax online and computer said no. Lady from DVLA got me to return V5 and sent me tax in post. She returned V5 to Swansea etc etc. Im not sure why or if anything changed TBH. Will know soon when i try and tax it again. It does seem to be an ongoing grey area.

matt_claydon

posted on 31/8/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is your registration date is wrong, it should be down as the date you registered the Indy, not the date the donor was registered. As it stands you will not get away without MOT however you go about it - online or in a post office. If I were you I'd get DVLA to sort out the V5.
Humbug

posted on 31/8/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed - the V5 has the wrong date.

My 1 year tax reminder came asking for MOT and I just showed the guy at the PO the V5 with the correct kit car reg date and he crossed off the MOT line and gave me the tax disc.

nick205

posted on 31/8/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Right.....

After speaking to the DVLA (twice) they have said the only way it can be re-taxed is with a valid MoT. When questioned about the date of first registration on the log book they are insisting that as the car was issued with an age related plate against the donor car that the date on the log book is correct (31/08/89).

Now the way I see it I can spend my time battling with the DVLA to get the log book changed and in the meantime not be able re-tax the car. Or, I can get on and get an MoT (can be done by Mon) and get on and re-tax the car and start driving again.

bigrich

posted on 1/9/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but the DVLA are talking out their backsides. i had the same problem and eventually MOT'd the car under protest then had my log book amended by DVLA at swansea after admitting they were wrong and recieving and apology letter and a full refund of my MOT cost's
Don't let it drop keep on at them as they make the rules but don't seem to know them and as civil servents you pay their wages and they are there to serve you the customer.
do a search for Good old DVLA for my previous thread on this

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

nick205

posted on 3/9/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
Sorry but the DVLA are talking out their backsides. i had the same problem and eventually MOT'd the car under protest then had my log book amended by DVLA at swansea after admitting they were wrong and recieving and apology letter and a full refund of my MOT cost's
Don't let it drop keep on at them as they make the rules but don't seem to know them and as civil servents you pay their wages and they are there to serve you the customer.
do a search for Good old DVLA for my previous thread on this

To continue my thread...

I've had the car MoT'd today (it went straight through and recieved compliments from the examiner) and re-taxed the car online.

I'm currently waiting for the DVLA complaint form and procedure to arrive in the post. Rest assured this will be followed through. It's encouraging to hear you were able to get a refund of the MoT costs too!

DarrenW

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
The gods must be shining on me today Car has fired up for the first time on bike carbs and online road tax application has been succesful with no issues ref MOT. Looks like Stockton DVLA did a sterling job of correcting my log book a while ago.
This further proves that you defo dont need MOT for 3 years after SVA (or at least on age related plate).

Just to add to the comment about V5 correction. When registered for first time Stockton issued the tax disc and sent forms to Swansea. Swansea then issued the new V5 by post. After 6 months i tried to re-tax on line but rejected due to no valid MOT. Quick phone call to Stockton, sent paperwork and cheque to them. They issued next tax and sent log book back off to Swansea for me. Today is the next time that ive tried to tax on-line and it went through no probs (last time was at PO counter and there was some discussion so i thought on-line would be a long shot). So, there must be some code that Swansea add to the logbook to set it up as a new registration and make the 3 year rule valid.

[Edited on 5/9/07 by DarrenW]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.