Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: am i welding right
alan wheeldon

posted on 5/9/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
am i welding right

I have bought a MIG welder because I want to learn to weld but I have no idea what im doing.

Ive been playing about with it and have managed to weld 2 pieces of metal together but it doesnt look right im ny opinion??

I dont have the bubble effect that i have seen on welds instead it looks a bit inverted.

Basically this is what I am doing....

to start with, sometines i rest the welder on the metal I am welding and sometimes I am hovering about 1cm above the metal, so far I cant see any difference in the final result.

Next I am stop starting a line of weld. welding a little spot, then stopping briefly, then over lapping the previous spot with another.....

This is holding the metals together but i know it is not right.....

Is anything im doing right?? Like i said i dont really know what im doing but im at least trying.

Can someone point me in the right direction, idealy id like to do a course or try and get someone to show me

Built black pinto MK, black blackbird MK, yellow pinto MK. Now working on a Sierra.

logicaltuning.com (a new web site about cars and bikes)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oadamo

posted on 5/9/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
hi i live in wolverhampton aswell i could come down and teach you ive been welding 4 about 10 years now as my job.
adam

worX

posted on 5/9/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
there is no substitute for practice, but you could try reading this first for a bit of a start...

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Steve

ditchlewis

posted on 5/9/07 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I took a evening class in welding at the local tech college, it cost me £50 for a terms lessons.

ditch

BenB

posted on 5/9/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
There are lots of parameters to get right- gas flow, wire speed, power, torch angle, torch speed etc etc....

Only if you get them all right will you get the "frying bacon" noise....

If you've got a digital camera taking some pictures might be helpful- it's possible to diagnose some welding problems that way.

the best way though is to get someone good at welding to come down, set-up the machine for the metal you're welding so you just need to learn the actual technique. Then you can learn to adjust the machine once the technique is mastered....

If all else fails continue practising, read the midwelding website and you'll get there in the end

jack trolley

posted on 5/9/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good video (now on DVD)

SierraL_killer

posted on 5/9/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Stick all the settings on 'average' then adjust them to see the differences they make on the metal. Make sure its very clean so that weld holds and earth is good. Make sure both metals glow red when the arc is made so you know you're getting good penetration.... the suggestions are endless!
andybod

posted on 5/9/07 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget to use correct safety equipment Rescued attachment WELDING.jpg
Rescued attachment WELDING.jpg

Jed

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Take up the offer from oadamo. It will save you a lot of time because he'll know what looks and sounds correct and you'll learn a lot more in an hour with someone who knows what they are doing. It will also save you a lot of frustration and it will be using your welder which is a bonus.

I sort of learnt to weld the frustrating way and wish I'd met someone who was good for some tuition.

Oh and it's well worth having a case of beer ready as a thankyou

alan wheeldon

posted on 6/9/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
hi i live in wolverhampton aswell i could come down and teach you ive been welding 4 about 10 years now as my job.
adam

Thanks for the offer adam, you have PM

Built black pinto MK, black blackbird MK, yellow pinto MK. Now working on a Sierra.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 6/9/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I dont have the bubble effect that i have seen on welds instead it looks a bit inverted.

I think you're looking at tig welds there Alan, mig weld on steel looks smooth. Once you start a weld you should keep the gun moving away from you till you finish it. Adam should sort you out but you'll have to fine tune it to your own preferences after you have something like a set up.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

alan wheeldon

posted on 7/9/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
oadamo came round to see me last night and sorted me out. He set the settings right on my welder and my technique was totally wrong! Had a little play and after he showed me how to do It I could see an instant improvement!

Just need to practice a lot more now. I suppose it will be a bit like riding a bike, once you know you dont really forget.

Thanks Adam, top block

Browser

posted on 15/9/07 at 04:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andybod
don't forget to use correct safety equipment

Please tell me where you got that picture from Andy, I'd love to circulate it at work!!

Minicooper

posted on 15/9/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
quote:
Originally posted by andybod
don't forget to use correct safety equipment

Please tell me where you got that picture from Andy, I'd love to circulate it at work!!

Just hover over it and save picture as will do the trick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.