Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to remove the hazard warning switch from a Seat Leon (51 plate)?
SixedUp

posted on 6/9/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
How to remove the hazard warning switch from a Seat Leon (51 plate)?

Subject says it all really ... indicators and hazards on the wifes 2001 Seat Leon have packed in. Fuses etc are all OK, so its almost certainly the flasher unit ... which is apparently integrated into the back of the hazard warning switch. So in theory an easy fix. Except I'll be damned if I can work out how I get it off the car to replace it. The trim doesn't want to move (with reasonable amounts of force, anyway!) and having removed the switch "cover", the switch doesn't seem to be removeable either.

Any (sensible!) suggestions, given that my wife would like the car back in a fully working state ASAP, and I don't want to admit defeat and call a mechanic ?!

Thanks
Richard

[Edited on 6/9/2007 by SixedUp]

givemethebighammer

posted on 6/9/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
If it's anything like the one on my old VW Passat, I had to slide a thin piece of metal in top and bottom to release the clips (may have been the sides). I used a pair of feeler gauges.

[Edited on 6/9/07 by givemethebighammer]

nick205

posted on 6/9/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
having watched a guy fit a hands free kit in my Leon, you might be able to get to it by removing the radio and reaching up behind it. Although you will need the little metal prongs to release the radio and make sure you have the radio code if disconnect it.
SixedUp

posted on 8/9/07 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys ... got it out. The switch front comes off with a little force, and then givemethebighammer's trick of feeler gauges down the sides of the switch released a pair of surprisingly large retaining clips, and the whole lot just slides out. Of course, none of the SEAT dealers hold parts any more, so its minimum of Tuesday before they can order it in for me, but at least it's underway, so SWMBO'd no longer views me as completely inept
givemethebighammer

posted on 8/9/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Glad it worked, you could always try your local audi, vw or skoda dealer the switches are the same in all of those.

SixedUp

posted on 9/9/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I wondered about trawling around them all, but I figured that all their parts departments would be closed by midday Saturday, and (in all likelihood) they'd all be looking to order the part in from the same "distribution center in the sky", so the "bird in the hand" approach looked appropriate ... especially as my central heating system went t!ts-up on Friday night too, so I also needed to get to the plumbers merchants. It's been a busy weekend over here - looking forward to going back to work for a rest

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.