Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: disaster!
Dillinger1977

posted on 8/9/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
disaster!

just took the car out, very faint rattling from what I though sounded like the rear prop->diff area, put it down to me not having my helmet on and hearing a 'new noise'

further down road, rattling got worse so suspecting prop bolts loose, limped it home (wasnt far!)

jacked car rear wheels up and started it, same rattling but actually sounded nearer the front.
It only did it in gear so I suspected the reverse box, vibration clunking could be felt though the handle, sounded like something was missing a few teeth.

just to try and narrow it down even further, Ive disconnected the front prop from the engine, so the engine sprocket is connected to nothing.

Start engine, smooth in neutral, put it in gear and the clunking starts again, in any gear.
(sounds like something is loose, rather than anything grinding or banging)

gearbox toast?

(5jj R1 with quaiffe reverse box and 2 pience prop btw)

not only that, I still suspect the reverse box...
looks like donny next week is out.. dammit!!

-Rog

smart51

posted on 8/9/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I know the feeling, except that yours is so new.
yorkshire-engines

posted on 8/9/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i wasnt aware you had a problem with box so not replied yet

ok sound like one of two things either gearbox bearings or selector forks bent

either way its the engine out and strip
and as im such a nice guy if you can get it to me ill do it for you for price of parts only

let em know

cheers mal

ps did i supply the motor i dont think i did but let me know

dave1888

posted on 8/9/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
2nd gear could be faulty/damaged, seem to remember being told this by a biker friend.

Dillinger1977

posted on 9/9/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I know the feeling, except that yours is so new.

yes after a slow start i'm certainly catching up in the grand scheme of 'get it done, break it, fix it, break it again etc..'

it doesnt seem to be gear specific (its any driven gear!) and didnt show any symptoms other than random clonking (only in gear, so hopefully not big end related)..
no jumping out of ears or anything like that, just horrible noise.
I've drained it overnight so will be at least getting the clutch out to have a look today.
If theres nothing obvious i'll see if i can yank it out and get it over to you sometime malc, thats a cracking offer!!

-Rog

Dillinger1977

posted on 9/9/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
clutch cover off, everything seems to be intact. light very scoring around the basket though which I cant remember being there last time....

I was hoping it would be clutch as its easily accessible..

Sump off, no obvious metal chunks in there. 4 or 5 tiny slivers of what looks like aluminium. perhaps 1 mm wide by 3mm long, slightly curved.

looks like its going to have to come out and go off to someone that knows more!

-Rog

smart51

posted on 9/9/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have you cleaned the sump pan? I found more flakes hidden there. If its only one or two it mightn't be that bad.
Dillinger1977

posted on 9/9/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
yeah thoroughly cleaned it, i found them in the nooks and crannies. They dont look like anything major. obviously they've come from something though

-Rog

Dillinger1977

posted on 11/9/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
what kind of noise does an oilless diff make?

i still think I could hear rattling coming from the rear of the car under throttle (not when coasting)

when taking the transmission tunnel cover off theres 3 strips on the inside which have been sprayed with grease, all around the props Universal joints. (2 beside reverse box, one at the rear)
but theres also another thin film of oil around the prop->diff area where it looks like it might have been throwing oil out of the diff.
My filler bolt is sealed so cant check it easily, but would an empty diff make a noise like a loose bolt vibrating on a metal sheet?
a metallic raspy sound?

of course, none of this solves why the engine clunks when not connected to the prop.
unless when it WAS connected I was actually hearing the noise of the engine reverborating down the prop to the diff.. ?

-Rog

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.