Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is a Flat Drill
ditchlewis

posted on 12/9/07 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
What is a Flat Drill

I have to re drill the base of my starter motor. it is retained with a allen headed bolt that is flush with the face of the base.

the man at cambridge motorsport said i needed a flat head drill. what is one of these?

i know that i have to drill a hole for the bolt but then i have to ream out the base to get the bolt to sit flush with the face.

is a flat head drill bit one of these?

Ditch Rescued attachment flat drill.JPG
Rescued attachment flat drill.JPG

Hurdsey

posted on 12/9/07 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Nope thats a Flat Bit for wood.
I'm not an engineer but I think a flat head drill is designed to drill holes with a flat bottom instead of a bevelled bottom iyswim. I'm sure a good Engineers merchants would stock them.
It may be reffered to as a Reamer but I'm not sure.

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
..or perhaps an end mill

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

designer

posted on 12/9/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
The drill you showed is for wood.

A flat drill the bloke is talking about is one used when the hole does not go through the piece being drilled and it leaves a flat bottom to the hole.

Where are you drilling on the base? Are you just making another mounting hole?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 12/9/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
It's not referred to as a Reamer.

But it is a drill designed to cut a flat bottomed hole.

Be very careful when using it - the shorter cutting edge (than a normal drill) means they need a lot of torque to drive them and can only cut relatively slowly

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Fred W B

posted on 12/9/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Its called a spot face tool.

If you can't find one can you change to a bolt with a countersunk head, as a chamfer tool is easier to find?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/9/07 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

ditchlewis

posted on 12/9/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
many thanks lads

the alloy mounting plate on my starter motor needs moving round. the existing holes have a flat bottom to them to seat the bolt flat and flush to the face.

Fred's idea sounds good.

the question i now have is in a high torque application is option A (see below) more likley to fail than the existing option?

ditch

[Edited on 12/9/07 by ditchlewis]

ditchlewis

posted on 12/9/07 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
here is the pick

Ditch Rescued attachment options.JPG
Rescued attachment options.JPG

02GF74

posted on 12/9/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quite possibly but not that you would ever achieve it.

basically, and I could be wrong, the weakest part of the bolt is the thinest part i.e. the threaded section - that would where it would fail so the shape fo the bolt head does not matter.

Mr Rob

posted on 12/9/07 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a bench grinder you can grind a normal drill bit flat. Drill the hole first with a normal drill an then go in with your new ground bit.... job done.
ditchlewis

posted on 12/9/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
just remembered that i bought some bits very early on in my build that may do the job.

i will have to look and measure what i have.

i will have to drill a hole for the bolt first then i will have to use these bits (see below).. these bits have a flat face on them.

Ditch Rescued attachment bit.JPG
Rescued attachment bit.JPG

iank

posted on 12/9/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a lip and spur drill (flat with a spike) I think they are just for wood (also called a dowel bit IIRC).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tks

posted on 12/9/07 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Rob
If you have a bench grinder you can grind a normal drill bit flat. Drill the hole first with a normal drill an then go in with your new ground bit.... job done.

i wouold try this idea, because with a flat drill its not easy to pick the right place of drilling, saying that, when you cut down a normal drill, you don't leave a cutting edge.

i would go for the countersunk screws.

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

timf

posted on 12/9/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
you need something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=A0P1YSBZSQFOYCSTHZPCFFI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=counterbore

or from ebay

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mattools_CUTTING-TOOLS_Countersinks-Counterbores_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3277677QQftidZ2QQtZkm

looks like

[Edited on 12/9/07 by timf]

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
- Sir Winston S. Churchill, 1952

ditchlewis

posted on 12/9/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
iank

the above drill was for steel and was titanium, it went through steel like butter.

problemis that i have used them all alot and they are probably blunt now and they were about a ten to fifteen quid each.

ditch

02GF74

posted on 12/9/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
when I had to do something like this i.e. fltten out hte bottom of a blind drilled hole, I used end mills.
mmart do a set from 4 to 10 mm.

Alan B

posted on 12/9/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
As Timf shows the correct tool is called a counterbore......a spotface is essentially a shallow counterbore used on castings or rough surfacee to give a true seating face.

They can be bought in sets with interchangeable pilots or individually.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 12/9/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Rob has the locost option.

In with a normal drill to below the surface, then take out the angle with a flat one.

A drill is a drill. How you just sharpen it depends on what you want to do.

Hth

Paul G Rescued attachment drills-tx-s.jpg
Rescued attachment drills-tx-s.jpg

NS Dev

posted on 13/9/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
as Mr Rob and 907 said, just grind a std drill bit flat at the end.

I have used this to do spot facing many times, as spot face cutters are very expensive!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 20/9/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
That looks like a lip and spur drill (flat with a spike) I think they are just for wood (also called a dowel bit IIRC).

But they do work on metal with a bit of modification! My spot weld cutter fell to pieces during a job some time back and I modified one of these wood bits to make the spike shorter and it ripped through dozens spot welds with little problem. It was a reasonably quality drill bit though, not a cheapy.

iank

posted on 21/9/07 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Using them as a spot weld cutter would be fine I'd image, but they bind if you try and drill thick metal due to the cutting geometry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit

The one's I've got scream into wood with the lightest pressure, they actually seem to tunnel into the hole on their own.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Vindi_andy

posted on 21/9/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
when we had to use flat ended drills at college during my apprenticeship(many moons ago) we always had to drill the hole with a standard drill first then just flatten the bottom of the hole with the flat drill

Part of the problem I experienced was as someone else said earlier about the centreing also if you dont have a pre drilled hole the bit has a tendecy to wander

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.