Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which motherboard?
Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Which motherboard?

I want to upgrade my computer to use an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 (2.2GHz) L2 1MB (2x512KB) Retail Boxed Processor as I always have about 10 programs open and use dual display. I dont need onboard anything as I already have PCI cards for sound, 802.11g, etc.

I know I will need new memory and probably a PCI-e dual display Video card (I already have a AGP one). What I normally do when I upgrade is to get a motherboard that will take the fastest processors available(and memory to match) and put the cheaper, slower ones in and swap later as the costs come down.

Any recommendations?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 12/9/07 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of the Asus A8N-SLi range, and it hasn't given me any jip yet, its part of a watercooled system, with an AMD athlon 64 F CPU, and was a pretty high spec board.
Would thoroughly recommend any of Asus' products though.
Regards
Matt

ecosse

posted on 12/9/07 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Asus everytime, quality kit, although Abit and Gigabit boards are pretty good too.

Cheers

Alex

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am running an ASUS socket A at the moment, it has been fine for the last 4 years (hence upgrade!!).

Does this seem like a good setup?

Asustek M2V AM2 VIAK8T890 Sound, Gigalan And USB 2.0 2000MHz FSB SATA ATX 112169 £33.47 1 £39.33
Kingston 1GB Kit (2x512MB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL5 - Non-ecc 125136 £32.77 2 £77.01
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 (2.2GHz) L2 1MB (2x512KB) Retail Boxed Processo 118226 £39.10 1 £45.94
ASUS EAX1550TD X1550 256MB DDR2 Hypermemory supporting 1GB DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card 127034 £25.58 1 £30.06

Total £192.34

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 12/9/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
ASUS here too - rock solid!

Looks like a good setup... I would double the RAM at least (I have 2Gb - but rarely hit 100% capacity on any multitasking applications, I don't play PC games) and watch the limitations of the old PSU.

Steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
The ram is for 2 2x512 making 2 gig so I should be ok

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just added 250g Hd to the list and am now £250 poorer (could have built a whole car for that!!!!)

BenB

posted on 12/9/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Jeez, I really need to upgrate my computer!!!!

500MB mem (I had a gig but one bank went south for winter and never came back!!), 2.4Ghz Celeron with 120GB HD and a shitty 9800se graphics card.....

No wonder it's slow editing videos!!!!

LOL....

Only trouble is, do I blow £250 on a similar setup or on a lathe

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 13/9/07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
get the lathe, get the lathe

I could do with upgrading my pc but i've been so 'out' of PC specs i haven't a clue what motherboard / chipset goes with what.

(and i work in IT - i should be shot)

So i just keep plodding on using the old pc

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/9/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
get the lathe, get the lathe

I could do with upgrading my pc but i've been so 'out' of PC specs i haven't a clue what motherboard / chipset goes with what.

(and i work in IT - i should be shot)

So i just keep plodding on using the old pc

Now the computer is sorted out, best set a new toy box target Rescued attachment lathe.jpg
Rescued attachment lathe.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.