Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donnington - what did you think
MikeR

posted on 13/9/03 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Donnington - what did you think

Well i've just come back from Donnington and I'm not impressed.

The car parking organisation was terrible
The cost (10 pounds per person, 2 pounds if you've got a kit car) is a rip off.
The number of exhibitors is rather poor
The autojumble is third empty and only consisted of 1 tent.
The westfield and caterham car section where over half empty.
Caterham didn't even have a stand inside the hall - makes you wonder.

VERY VERY unimpressed.

On a positive side,
I got to see a number of locost builders and have a good long chat with them.
Spent ages on the Stuart Taylor stand outside gossiping and drooling.....
Got to look at MK's GT1 again - it just looks better and better evey time i see it.

In fact the only thing that made the show worth while was the gossiping with friends.

Perhaps tomorrow will be better with the track day.

MK Goldrush

posted on 13/9/03 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Mike,

Glad I never went today then...

Track day should be better... plus more people? Hopefiully

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark H

posted on 14/9/03 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I have to say i was dissapointed with the Saturday turnout. Lets hope the Sunday crowd have more positive things to say.

Re the parking - we ended up in the Westfield Only bit (I went in convoy with one Westy and another Stuart Taylor) - a few stalwarts were giving my car a right looking over (and it wasn't because they thought it was a lovely example either)!

We only saw about 8 locosts too - didnt see any flags for MKOC either?

I went down with a bit of a shopping list - bought some carpet, some rubber undercoat (sold by the oldest man in the world), and two reflectors (80p), but most of the important stuff just wasn't available, or I can get it cheaper locally.

And I thought the stalls are going a bit Max Power (all blue LEDS and stuff).

Dave & Dick - big apologies, firstly we got to Donny after 1 - left later than expected. Then I lost the bit of paper with tel no.s and who wanted what on! I didn't see one person who I knew.

For me, Newark is now the show to meet at.

On the way home, one of the cars had a bit of an electrical issue. Took us five hours to get back to Leeds!

All the best,

Mark

[Edited on 14/9/03 by Mark H]

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

DaveFJ

posted on 14/9/03 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Have to agree with mike here - very disapointed... still parted with another £500 though!

And got caught out by the accident on the M1, wifey ended up helping out for a while (perils of marrying a nurse)
Hope no-one from here was involved....

[Edited on 14/9/03 by protofj]

[Edited on 14/9/03 by protofj]

locoboy

posted on 14/9/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Not too impressed either, v poor spares/uto jumble section. Was forced to but stainless bolts from the "rip off merchant" as he was the only one selling the stuff.

Bought some carpet and a few other small bits and bobs. I have never been to Donny before and wont be too keen to go rushing back.

Was looking to meet up with a couple of you guys off here to put a face to the avitar!, but couldnt find the MK area and didnt know where else to try and meet up.

I agree it is a bit worrying that W£stfield and Caterpork didnt have stands inside.

IMHO not worth the 10 quid, only good thing was that there was no big cue to get in, hmmmmmmmmmmmm doesnt that say something too?

Also what is the deal with all the max power shite and who the F*ck said people could sell mobile phone covers, it all takes away from the whole ethos of the show IMO.

Col

[Edited on 14/9/03 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

Dick Axtell

posted on 14/9/03 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
1 contented visitor

At least one bloke was happy enough. See pic below. Rescued attachment Donny03.JPG
Rescued attachment Donny03.JPG

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Wadders

posted on 14/9/03 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
It was worth 2 quid, just to see the girl in the skimpy white outfit, near ST's stand.
Things kinda went downhill after that!

Al

Viper

posted on 14/9/03 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Wadders
that must have been about the time you drove past us at the bar

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 14/9/03 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
some of you must have been to a different show,the mkoc stand had cars a plenty,we had a whale of a time ill agree about the size of the show though,id like to say thanx to all who turned up and entertained me,provided 5* facilities and entertainment jasper for not frightening me toooooooooooo much on the track and last but definatley not least to hicost,sorry about your misshap and we all hope you are better very soon.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Wadders

posted on 14/9/03 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
the mkoc stand had cars a plenty.

Bloody hell conrod, wer'e they under a cammo net or summat? without a word of a lie we walked round the field 3 times and never found them. gave up in the end and went for a coffee and another look at the girlie in white, fnurk!
p.s for all we take the p#iss out of Robin hoods, what a turn out they had, quite impressive ( the turn out you understand, not the cars).

Al.

MikeR

posted on 14/9/03 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
MK had his stand in the hall and the MKOC had their cars right next to the 'normal' car enterance road. If you came in a kit car you wouldn't have gone any where near them!

So it seems Today was a better show - oh well, always the way. At least today i got on with some car building (slowly!)

chrisg

posted on 14/9/03 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking for some time that the kit car shows are going down hill, I havent been to Donington this time but I've been to all the others and there's definately a trend towards less manufacturers and more dross.

we've had fudge stalls, model car racing etc.

The catering is terrible and expensive and the cost rises every year.

I think I'll be going to Newark next year, unless it clashes with Le Mans.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

blueshift

posted on 14/9/03 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hurrah, we found the MK owners. mostly by recognising the tent thing from photo albums and spotting a familiar looking face or two..

not before we'd wandered up to the loCUST owners club and asked them if they were locosts.. "NO!"
I think they have aluminium envy. I mean, a plywood bodyshell.. fnar

I've never been to an event like that before but I had a great time. bought some useful cheap tools, got a copy of building and modifying kit car suspension and brakes, which I don't think amazon have, talked to Mr. M of MK Engineering about him doing a dedion axle for locosts (answer: no), had a ride in Jasper's car (thanks -weeeeeeee!), talked crap, ate crap, drank beer, watched films, got sunburned, argued with conrodkid about jap cars..

theconrodkid

posted on 14/9/03 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
wadders,we were next to the porsche wannabees,spotted the girlie in white thou

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MK Goldrush

posted on 14/9/03 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sunday Donnington

We went on Sunday and I'm sure Westfled had a stand inside. Or do my eyes deceive me? Yep, deffo Westfled!

MKOC was pretty easy to find - as was the MK Track Trials, got some pretty good pic's of em too! The MK Test was easily the most frequented and busy... Rescued attachment mk4up.jpg
Rescued attachment mk4up.jpg

bob

posted on 14/9/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
MK owners club area

A big sorry to those who couldnt find the area,my fault i'm afraid.
I got there early friday afternoon and thought since the the field was empty a corner plot would be a good idea,better than being buried in the middle i thought.
Pinned the banner in facing the road of entry,i also thought this was a good idea.

Trouble is limelight exhibitions do not penn any areas for us unlike Newark who couldnt have helped us more and are much better organised,we also only have the one 10ft x 2ft banner at the moment so maybe we could do with another and also a flag or two.

The end result of not having penned or roped off areas = club next door pushes you off the edge,we did have some room and a nice little turn out of cars too incuding some room for locost builders which was nice.

Covin car club who were next to us did have far more cars turn up than us and did need room,i havnt got a problem with that but limelight exhibitions should really take a look at newark promotions efforts IMO.

THE SHOW

Yep most of you who have been the show over the years will probably agree the best things were the weather and the track on sunday.

[Edited on 14/9/03 by bob]

mr loo

posted on 14/9/03 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
the show was brillant,parked at mkoc. suppose i better join now only bad thing is i broke down on the way home, bloody fuel pump's
Rob Lane

posted on 15/9/03 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I arrived at 12 noon Sunday and couldn't find anyone around, eventually found 5 Locosts parked near Robin Hood guys, so I parked behind the 'Newark Show Best Locost Winner' car.

The show had the best turnout of kit cars it's ever had. The caterhams outnumbered the westfields and there was a very large turnout of Robin Hoods.

That said, the catering was expensive, the autojumble or parts sellers were very poor.
Midland Wheels Supplies had about 6 stands, it was they who made the parts sellers look anything like usable. They sell the flashy shiny bits etc. Usually junk!

I too wanted some stainless fastenings but would not buy from the one stall who was a rip off with prices. There have been better than that at other shows.

I'm not surprised at the lack of stalls selling though. We enquired after a stall and the cost put us off at £125 per metre.

It must be difficult to put on this show and get the price balance right, although I believe they would be better served by slashing the parts stall pitch prices, to attract more entries and more buyers.

To put it in perspective. I once tried to hire Donington to put on a Locost Club day. Three years ago, the cost of the track alone was £12,000 for 6 hours with 1 hour break (Planning Regs). The hire of the main hall was £15,000 with heating and lighting extra. Staff and facilities were charged extra per unit cost. i.e. per man!

I assume that's why the £2 cover charge for kit cars. If they publish attendance figures then it would be possible to get a breakdown of the event. Even so I reckon they are making £k's.

[Edited on 15/9/03 by Rob Lane]

Wadders

posted on 15/9/03 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
You should have shouted up mate, i'd have stopped and let you buy me a pint]

]Originally posted by Viper
Wadders
that must have been about the time you drove past us at the bar [/quote

Jasper

posted on 15/9/03 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
As usual it was badly organised (including the track day), but there was still plenty to see and a great time was had.

My first time out on a big grown up track and the car behaved impecably and went like a b*stard all day long - fantastic fun even with a few w*nker drivers and lots of red flags.

Great weather - lots of builders camping over - and a noticable absense of northeners??????????

Peteff

posted on 15/9/03 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I was there!!

Sunday about 11.30 till 4.30. Didn't see anybody obviously locost related, said it before, sort out some hats Chris. Had a good look round, went to the pits where the MK crew were doing their stuff and had a couple of hours lounging round on the infield. Went in my locost so I missed the MOCK () but I did see the locusts and the 3 wheeler things. Get rid of the section dedicated to them 'cos you have to be 110 to drive one and have a beard..

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

locoboy

posted on 15/9/03 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
and they bring the missus to every event and all those old dears seem to have a seat welded to their arse and a picknic basket glued to the side of it. I have never seen one of them get in the chair, they just seem to be in it all the time, i think they arrive at the show already mounted in the chair!

ATB
Locoboy

Chazzy

posted on 15/9/03 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
LOL! its the main reason my girlfrind won't do shows with me, she won'tsit in a chair reading or knitting all day. "Havn't they got a life" she used to ask.

I went both days (I live close) sat very empty, sunday chocca!
Forgot to bring driving licence so had to be content with being thrown around the track in Raw Engineering's striker. after that i was glad i wasn't on track. there were some BIG speed differentials out there.

mackie

posted on 16/9/03 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I was only on track for a few laps with Jasper but I was track-side most of the day and it did seem a bit hairy! That Cossie was certainly giving it some and spewing god knows what out the back on lift off. There was a particularly fast turbo Nova too, quite impressive to be honest!
I had a pretty good time, met some good chaps and talked locost.
Wishes go out to Hicost for a speedy recovery too.

GO

posted on 16/9/03 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't make it at all this year unfortunately, so I missed whats sounds like the main attraction...

someone must have a picture of the bird in white...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.