Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hawk stratos replica!
R1 STRIKER

posted on 17/9/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hawk stratos replica!

Not locost in any way but after going to donington over the weekend it was the one car that I came away thinking , I really want one of those!

Anybody had any experience of Hawk cars? Was really impressed with the quality and thought that had gone in to the rolling chassis they had on display there.

opinions welcome.

Ben.

wilkingj

posted on 18/9/07 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Ive been drooling onver one of those for the last 18 months or so. I like it very much.

Hawk seem to have a good reputation, and the kits seem to be very well made.

However, Its just a damn expensive kit.
Also I didnt like the attitude I got at Stoneleigh.

I COULD afford one if I really wanted to. It would be a gut busting stretch, but I could.

The guy on the stand, basically told me to go away as I couldnt afford one. Bear in mind I had said nothing about the finance side of it.
I dont think my mode of dress for the day (I was camping in a pup tent and at 54 its a struggle to do anything in one of those, let alone look presentable and monied!)

He took one look at me and decided that I probably didnt have the money.
I wasnt impressed at all.

I am thinking of building another, and this WAS at the top of my list. Their attitude towards me as a potential customer has now moved it a long way down the list.

Having staff that are customer orientated, and a pleasure to deal and talk with is important in my books.

Just my 2d worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 18/9/07 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar experience to Geoff's. Funnily enough it was on a different stand. The attitudes shown by the (sales?) staff was pretty bad throughout the exhibition.
Only the Westfield stand looked as if it was being run by people who knew what they were doing.
Most of the kit car industry is populated by people who would have no chance in a real business scenario.
John

gottabedone

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
I went to the Autosport show this year (allbeit on the first trade day before they were run ragged at the weekend!!!) and the majority of the stands were manned by people that knew their product and were quite happy to shoot the breeze with another petrolhead. There seems to be a difference between those in the kitcar world and those in the stock cars/saloons/buggies - you name it. I hope that the kit car world isn't going back to the era of companies selling overpriced replicas, taking you money whilst trying to compete like the big boys with little regard for quality or service.

just my quids worth!

Steve

balidey

posted on 18/9/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Would you really walk away from a car you want just because of one 'bad experience' with one person at one show?

That person may have had dozens of 'no hopers' asking 'how fast is it mister?' all day. In their position i would almost certainly act in a similar way. We would all like to thnk we wouldn't, but be honest, we can all get hacked off with joe public. We shouldn't, but we do.

I say give them another chance. Only because I too love the Hawk cars, and if i could afford one then I wouldn't care if someone told me i couldn't afford it. Just take in the satisfaction of proving them wrong.

Hellfire

posted on 18/9/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Would you really walk away from a car you want just because of one 'bad experience' with one person at one show?

That person may have had dozens of 'no hopers' asking 'how fast is it mister?' all day. In their position i would almost certainly act in a similar way. We would all like to thnk we wouldn't, but be honest, we can all get hacked off with joe public. We shouldn't, but we do.

I say give them another chance. Only because I too love the Hawk cars, and if i could afford one then I wouldn't care if someone told me i couldn't afford it. Just take in the satisfaction of proving them wrong.

I'm reading this sat here relishing (NOT - I hate it!) the thought that tomorrow I'm going to the Hanover (EMO) Engineering Tooling Show for three days. I will be present on my stand as an Enginimeer... yes, I know my stuff. Yes, I could probably help 90% of the people that that ask questions. Yes, I get p!ssed off people asking me pointless, uneducated, ignorant questions... but to assume the person in front of me is "not worthy" is a cardinal sin and very possibly the worst advert for your products and IMHO unforgiveable.

We pay probably five figures (£) to occupy our hall space at EMO (to hopefully get that back in sales) and if we had reacted in a similar manner to the above spoken about, I would probably be out of a job, whether I was the worlds best or not.

If you feel so angry about being treated like this - personally, I would put pen to paper and spotlight this person for what he is... a total and utter w4nker who doesn't deserve the chance of earning commission from a possible future buyer.

Steve

akumabito

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How does that work? somebody is being rude, and you're handing 'm over a big (in this case VERY big) wad of cash 'just to prove them wrong'?

It doesn't work that way. Especially in the kitcar industry. I've had a very similar experience with Burton cars a few years ago. I was practically obsessed with their little car. Of course I could barely afford it, but if I really put my mind to it, and worked my butt off after school, I could get the money in a few months and start building..

Well, I won't go into much details, but the owner of the company basically told me that I might be better off keep driving my mom's Fiat Panda.

And that was it. Scrap the Burton from the list of kitcars I'd really like to own. I still love the design of the car, but I would NEVER give any of my money to them after that stunt.

Here's the thing with kitcars; buying the basic kit is just part of the process. It is likely you have to deal with these people numerous times, for advice, additional parts, repairs, whatever. If they're being rude bastards even before you buy from them, then why would they be any different after you hand over your cash?

sgraber

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Many years ago my wife worked in diamond sales...

Some of the wealthiest people showed up in the most awful clothing looking literally like bums off the street. But they were the ones making big purchases on the spot. And it was obviously all based on a salesperson not being deceived by looks.

Of course I show up everywhere dressed like a bum, because I am one!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 18/9/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
ex i went out with years ago came from a 'nice' family. Her mum in the 60's and 70's would often dress as a hippie, walk around with out shoes etc. She always got the best service in every shop ....... because the owners knew she had money.

In the diamond shop the owners know they have money.

I'm not excusing what these 'sales' people have done but I think i can understand it. Having stood on a stand for 3 days a few years ago as a technical representative, on day 3 I was really really really bored. My back ached, my legs ached, i was tired & hungry. If i got some muppet asking me silly questions all day, i might find i was less than accommodating when a real customer turned up who didn't look like the usual "load's'a'dosh" customer.

Simon

posted on 22/9/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
I had Hawk Cars modify a part of my car (needed engineering equipment) so have been to their premises a couple of times.

The quality of their cars is second to none, but I would certainly not hand over a penny more to them, as basically I found a certain person a bit stuck up his own you know what (when I told him what I was building he called the author of the book something I wouldn't say, let alone print on here).

Re dressing like a tramp, many years ago when I worked in London there was a story (I believe was true) of a bloke went into a BMW shop and was met with disdain by the senior salesman because of his appearance, who passed him off to a junior.

He ordered 14 new BMW's but paid commission directly to junior!

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 22/9/07 by Simon]

Doug68

posted on 23/9/07 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a picture of a real one from the local car museum.
Note the dodgy angle of the passenger window and the puddle of oil under it.
True authenticity in a Kit Cat build should not be too hard to achieve then! Rescued attachment Stratos.jpg
Rescued attachment Stratos.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

rpmagazine

posted on 24/9/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Doug, you have it all wrong. The window is correct. But most importantly the Hawk kits are easy to spot next to an original stratos as their fit and finish is far better than the original cars, which were after all a homologation special.
Doug68

posted on 24/9/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong or the first time I've stepped in a puddle of oil coming out of something Italian either!

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

timf

posted on 24/9/07 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
I've stepped in a puddle of oil coming out of something Italian either!

normally due to the sump rusting out

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
- Sir Winston S. Churchill, 1952

akrallysport

posted on 25/9/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
About 12 years ago, my dad's boss walked into a Volvo dealer, ready to buy a new wagon, only to be ignored for a good 20 minutes. Not a poor dresser either; was wearing a sport jacket, etc. He ended up walking up to the senior salesman: "How to you expect to sell cars if you don't approach potential customers?" only to get "You didn't like you could afford it" as a reply. Now, thoroughly pissed, he walked out, drove to Mercedes-Benz dealer, signed the paperwork for a new E320 (with no financing needed) and made it a point to drive back to the Volvo dealer and show what they missed out on.
gttman

posted on 25/9/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Absolutelly

For my first kit I had absolutelly decided to build the dodge viper replica from 'XXXXX'.
I went to the Stoneleigh to place the order only to be ignored on their completely empty stand with their ropes around so I couldn't even aproach...... after 20minutes I walked off in discust and walked round the corner only to place an order at the Ultima stand instead for a car I had never seen or considered before.

IMO if they are like this to you when trying to sell their product then what will they be like when they have your cash and your halfway through the build....

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

kb58

posted on 25/9/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Many kit car businesses aren't. Lots of enthusiasm and little in the way of business smarts. They don't seem to understand just how valuable customers are!

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.