Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VX220 crash due to lack of experience
myeates

posted on 21/9/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
VX220 crash due to lack of experience

hi guys mate of mine had a small accident this morning ended up in loosing the rear end of his VX and swaped ends several times, thing is he only had it a week. no injuries, very tough cars underneath.

he had the front wheel rip off and rear suspension rip apart during impact

shows what can happen with inexperience he never drove a rear wheel drive car before this one check the links from my pictures below

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=21092007.jpg

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=3DSC00356.jpg

arrybradbury

posted on 21/9/07 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
WOAH glad he's alright, looks nasty! Just a case of a greasy surface and not much practise with RWD??
Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/9/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myeates
hi guys mate of mine had a small accident this morning

Tell him he better not have a big or even normal accident then!! The aerial on the roof looks intact there anyway!!

myeates

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
actually felt sick when got there to pick him up. i think he was showing off to his pasenger who has a Fury but went a bit one in damp conditions. would of been worse i think if it was a normal car. the doors still open a shut and chassis looks ok (apart from the suspension) could be useful he says he wont have another !!
BenB

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
DEfinately a 2nd hand motor

Nasty!!!

SeaBass

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Too late for T-Cut??

Look like he must have been spinning like a top to do that. What did he hit? I can't see anything in the pics apart from hedges etc.

Cheers

Peteff

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of a friend did the same in his MR2 last month but he went down a bank and if it hadn't been for a friendly tree he would have been in a river. He's found a car on ebay with the engine seized so he's going back for another try.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

arrybradbury

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myeates
.... would of been worse i think if it was a normal car...... he says he wont have another !!

Surely that's a good enough reason to have something that stands up well when you do that! Or is he off mid engined cars all together now??

speedyxjs

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote

Good donor though

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

myeates

posted on 21/9/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
he is used to front wheel drive so is off mid engined dont know why there great fun he just needed to be more careful.

the lorry looked like a skip lorry when driving away with all the bits on the back

the hedge and weeds in the picture are actually covering a 3 foot ditch he lost the rear and clipped the oposite bank of the ditch not far behind the car in the middle of the road. spun into the ditch before bouncing off in to the road there was a lot of energy in the first initail hit

[Edited on 21/9/07 by myeates]

myeates

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
bet the engines still good at least and the instruments would be great for a locost a nice stack display

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

Good donor though

AndyH

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Defo Donor time
Toady1

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
shit!!! looks a right mess! the roads are really slippery at the mo! as i found out last night!
myeates

posted on 21/9/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
they are, there hasnt been much water for a while and they hav just soaked it all in i think, hope it wasnt too major when you found out
ed_crouch

posted on 21/9/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
First RWD i drove was a 4 litre 'Stang in Florida. Had it 3 months, and even after that amount of time it scared the hell out of me in the wet. It was LETHAL.

Good fun in the dry, but when it rained it was SO twitchy.

One morning I had it fishtail by about 45degrees 5 times before I managed to catch it. I saw the car that was following me (A black VW Jetta...) through the drivers door window, just by the wing mirror! Proper sideways. That woke me up...

Ed.

[Edited on 21/9/07 by ed_crouch]

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

BenB

posted on 21/9/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think the problem is that when there hasn't been any rain for a while you get a film of oil on top of the road. First rain in a while just sits on top of it....
David Jenkins

posted on 21/9/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - first rain after a dry spell always brings the oil and rubber to the top... I wiped out a motorbike many years ago, because of that...

As for RWD - it's a driving skill that has to be learned, which is why experienced RWD drivers on here always recommend caution to newly-approved locosts. It's so easy to give it some welly, then get it all wrong on a tight corner... I was fortunate in that I learnt to drive on RWD cars, so the 'rules' are hard-wired into my brain.

'Slow in, fast out' and 'don't upset the car half-way through a corner' are rules that don't get taught to FWD drivers...

RazMan

posted on 21/9/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
'Slow in, fast out' and 'don't upset the car half-way through a corner' are rules that don't get taught to FWD drivers...

In a nutshell David! I used to drum it into my biker students when I was an instructor. First rain = potential pain

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 21/9/07 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Spot on David!

It wasn't for nothing, that when a VX220 was purchased from new, a day of driver training at Jonathan Palmers track was thrown in!

As you rightly say, those of us of a 'certain age' learned to drive RWD. Personally I prefer RWD, but even so, the VX220 (well the Turbo, I don't know about the NA as in the crashed one above), is a car that needs driving with care until you are used to it in all conditions.

I love the 'drive' but it is not everyones 'cup of tea'......

So very glad that no one was hurt in the prang.

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

bimbleuk

posted on 22/9/07 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
The Elise/VX220 quite often look a lot worse after an accident becaue the GRP and composite crash structure do their job and disintergrate absorbing the impact very well.

I've found you need to be confident o your ability with certain RWD cars such as the VX220/Elise. If you're unsure or even scared of the car you'll hesitate or freeze when something unexpected happens and then it's already too late.

My MR2 turbo having more mass tended to be much more ponderous when stepping out. The Elise would sometimes almost swap ends within its own length on track! Training or at least track time highly recommended.

NS Dev

posted on 22/9/07 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Again, spot on!!!

RWD is always better because you can FEEL the limit, where FWD pollutes the steering feel with trying to maintain traction.

After my brief spell with a 205gti I have vowed never to own another FWD car.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

David Jenkins

posted on 22/9/07 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 'driving experience' session in a Pug 306Gti at Silverstone a while ago - I could NOT get used to the idea of changing gear half-way through that long sweeping curve after the straight. Tyres screaming, me forced into the side of the seat, throttle wide open... and the instructor going 'go on! change up!'.

Totally alien to everything I had been taught.

gottabedone

posted on 22/9/07 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder what the testosterone level was if he was trying to show a Fury owner how to do it. Fury's are good handling cars at the best of times so he must have been pushing on some!!

Was the Fury owner in the car as well or in his own car?
I bet he hit a big downer when the adrenalin finally left - glad he's OK though.

Steve

myeates

posted on 22/9/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
fury owner was in car but now says never going in the same car again after that. VX driver was wishing he had learnt how to drive the thing now. i think they both will be more careful now. the vx here was the Lightning limited edition with 170bhp and was a bit of an animal especially for a first time.

i would love to have been in it around a track with someone who knows what they are doing they have great potential in the hands of a poffesional

having never driven a front engine rwd car before till mine is on the road and will deffinately be learning how to drive it after seeing what happens with inexperience

[Edited on 22/9/07 by myeates]

Volvorsport

posted on 22/9/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
was it a local road ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.