Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding polarity, a lesson learned.
the_fbi

posted on 29/9/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Welding polarity, a lesson learned.

Few weeks ago my trusty arc welder died, nothing wrong connectivity wise, just the coil breaking down it would appear.

So I bought a cheapy invertor (previous thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=73301 ) and was slightly purturbed at the welds I was getting.

I didn't spend much time with it, as I had no current need to use it, but after 30 minutes playing with both mild and stainless I concluded that either I'd totally lost my touch, or that the rods were damp and ruined.

The other day I read thread where somebody mentioned that on an inverter you reverse the polarity for arc compared to tig.

Remembered this earlier and thought I'd just go check that I had actually connected the leads correctly.

Unfortunately I hadn't. I've always assumed the earth clamp is exactly that, and earth/ground/-ve clamp. Clearly with arc this isn't the case. The clamp is actually +ve!

I know the front of the welder (shown in other thread) clearly shows the earth clamp picture next to the +ve connection, but I'd just looked at the + and - pictures and connected accordingly.

So, after changing the electrode holder and earth clamp around, I now have this as a result.

Inv. Weld Test
Inv. Weld Test

Thats a 2.5mm (perhaps 2.1mm) rod, on 82 amps in the filleted corners created between 2 pieces of 20mm shs.

The slag just fell off, as it should, and the top of the weld is flush with the steel.

Photo isn't great, but its a nice weld

Given I've got to weld a a couple of flanges onto a cat and a cat bypass next weekend, in stainless, I'm glad its all working as it should be.

Chuffed

[Edited on 29/9/07 by the_fbi]

BenB

posted on 29/9/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Show off

Looks good!

zilspeed

posted on 29/9/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just read your previous thread and he is listing these inverters again.

Good prices.

the_fbi

posted on 29/9/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Last I saw he was listing 75 or 70's, not 105's ?
Mark.

posted on 29/9/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Now try doing that hanging off scaffolding in the rain vert welding pipe
gazza285

posted on 29/9/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
With low hydrogen rods.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.