Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing duplicates in iTunes
Jasper

posted on 8/10/07 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Removing duplicates in iTunes

For some very reason I now have loads of duplicates (almost every song) in iTunes - is there an easy way to get rid of these. There is an option in iTunes to show them all - but not to get rid of them.

I've done a Google search - but they all want £££ for software that does it.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

arrybradbury

posted on 8/10/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not just highlight and delete them? You have to be in the main library to do this though. Order your tracks by name and hold "ctrl" to multi-select.
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 8/10/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just delete the entire duplicates list by clicking on the 1st item, holding down shift, and clicking on the last item. Then hit 'delete and they will all vanish. It will leave the original in your itunes library. then just go to the drop down menu that you slelected 'show duplicates' in and it'll now say 'show library' or suchlike instead. Select that and there you go.

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

Jasper

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotlad
Just delete the entire duplicates list by clicking on the 1st item, holding down shift, and clicking on the last item. Then hit 'delete and they will all vanish. It will leave the original in your itunes library. then just go to the drop down menu that you slelected 'show duplicates' in and it'll now say 'show library' or suchlike instead. Select that and there you go.

I thought that deleted both the original and duplicates? Aren't both shown in the iTunes dropdown list for duplicates?

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't delete mine. Honest. If in doubt back em up.

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

caber

posted on 8/10/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
It's a Apple bit of software so by enlarge you can trust it to do what looks like is hapopening on the screen!

Caber

donut

posted on 8/10/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
View/show duplicates, then select and delete.

How are you ripping your CD's? If you rip in Windows Media Player iTunes sometimes automatically does a copy and shows it in the list but if you then import the folder you will then have a copy which is what i do sometimes by mistake.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.