Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do you think they'll make everyone fit one
Rek

posted on 8/10/07 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think they'll make everyone fit one

Neat invention but I hope it doesnt become compulsory. They'd never need a speed camera again..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7033353.stm

arrybradbury

posted on 8/10/07 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
If it allowed me to do 42 in a 30 i wouldn't complain :p
takumi

posted on 8/10/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I seriously doubt a speed camera can be almost 30% over reading..

But that doesn't matter, it was shown in a court hearing to be with conflicting more accurate 'evidence..'

Very neat device, I was thinking of buying a USB GPS Reciever just to play with.. very cheap on fleabay for under £20 for a simple one...

Speed testing anyone..?

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

RK

posted on 8/10/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
If the policeman retired, he wouldn't go to court would he? Therefore, it's thrown out. That's the beauty of contesting parking tickets: most of the time, the cop won't be bothered showing up, therefore there is no witness and you win. Cool invention nonetheless!
02GF74

posted on 8/10/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Dr Tann's invention is built into a mobile phone and records its location and speed on a computer database.

on whose copmuter is the database?

Dr Tann's own as far as I can see - so can who can say the data was not manipulated later by the inventor?

sonds like he got aweay with it by baffling with bull5h3t.

Accurate to 0.5 m? hmmmm, I find that very hard to believe - quick google shows it it be accurate to 3 m at best.

as ^^^^ says, it was thrown out rather than this super dopper system beating the system - what stupid reporting by the BBC.

as for introducting it - ISTR Norwich Union using GPS for a pay as you drive insuracne trial.

[Edited on 8/10/07 by 02GF74]

takumi

posted on 8/10/07 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
a MOD chap who was a student of my dad, brought him some (new at the time) military gps equipment to show him, and that was accurate to about 10cm..! and donkeys ago..

From what I gathered at the time.

Millitary spec gps systems have more advanced filtering software to remove the signal noise to generate a very low 'real' noise signal.

I can see it being rather like audio noise removal, you subtract a generic (artificially generated) white/pink/brown noise from your audio sample, and the result is amazing.. the underlying hiss air, is almost completely gone, leaving you with a crystal clear audio track that was originally recorded on tape..lol

[Edited on 8-10-07 by takumi]

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

iank

posted on 8/10/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly, but not quite

There is a thing called selective availability built into the GPS system. Basically the US military can introduce deliberate errors into the positions reported by commercial chipsets (used to allow within 25meters or so). The military receivers get encrypted information and so get full accuracy all the time. The idea behind it was to stop low rent nations building accurate cruise missiles based on GPS.

However for a while now the errors have been turned right down and commercial stuff is really rather accurate. However the control by the US military is one of the big reasons the EU is going to spend hundreds of millions producing it's own system.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ivan

posted on 8/10/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
However the control by the US military is one of the big reasons the EU is going to spend hundreds of millions producing it's own system.

And the chances are they will also downgrade accuracy to civilians.

You can improve your own unit's accuracy significantly by having one unit at a known location within about 50km of where you are and recording both units location and time then calculating the error in the known location and applying it to the remote unit's readings.

That way you could approach 500mm accuracy. Maybe that's what he does.

trogdor

posted on 8/10/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
well i know that the current systems used by oceanographers are accurate to 2cms or so, it is a very expensive system tho, £30,000 a go. so its not used in all data collection just where that kind of accuracy is needed.

the idea for relating your GPS position to a known location is already used, its called DGPS, this is the cheaper system used by oceanographers and allows about a metre accuracy. It will be used in sat nav systems within a few years apparently or by now probably at least in the higher spec systems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.