Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank inlet annoyance
tegwin

posted on 8/10/07 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank inlet annoyance

Having bought the worlds worst designed kit car over a year ago I have slowly gone through trying to rectify every design fault including lopping off the front suspension and starting again...

But im having an issue with the fuel tank..

Its a thin stainless steel jobby....The sender sits in one end just fine...but the other end where the inlet is suposed to be is just a 2.5" hole....

Somehow I need to perminatly attach a bit of pipe to the fuel tank so my inlet flexi can connect to it..

My initial thought was to get a stainless plate, cut a hole in the middle of it and weld on a suitably sized tube to take the inlet flexi....And then use some kind of fuel resistant glue to bond the plate to the top of the tank..... Would this be acceptable? and are there any fuel proof mastic sealants?

Idealy I would rivot the plate to the tank but as the tank is already embedded into the car with some fuel in it I cant risk drilling holes in the tank and getting stainless swarf into the fuel system.....

Anyone have any cunning thoughts appart from torching the entire car and starting again?

Simon

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
My initial thought was to get a stainless plate, cut a hole in the middle of it and weld on a suitably sized tube to take the inlet flexi....And then use some kind of fuel resistant glue to bond the plate to the top of the tank..... Would this be acceptable? and are there any fuel proof mastic sealants?

My fuel sender is screwed to the tank with self tappers and they have been fine. Maybe use a proper fuel proof gasket. If you're concerned about the self tappers coming undone, you could always crossdrill and lockwire them in place.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 8/10/07 by Simon]

tegwin

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Im still going to have to drill holes in the tank to take the self tappers though which brings me back to the issue of swarf in the fuel
caber

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would pull the tank out empty it and steam clean or water fill before attempting to drill, when cutting and drilling my stainless tank I got heating and sparks not to mention a fair few broken HSS drills!

Caber

Dusty

posted on 8/10/07 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
I found a flanged 2.5" tank connector and made up a C shaped plate to go inside the tank. welded six bolts to it and drilled holes in tank and flange, like drawing. You will still have to take the tank out and clean it. Rescued attachment tankconect.jpg
Rescued attachment tankconect.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 9/10/07 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Spoon covered in grease under the hole you are drilling will do the job.

Then use cheap £1 disposable filter just after the tank and throw it away and replace after a ew hundred miles.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinj66

posted on 9/10/07 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I think the Robin Hood tank is designed to use the Sierra tank filler tube & rubber seal (still available from Ford). Fits quite well on my S7 .

Strangely the fuel sender won't fit - the studs are too short and in the wrong place. guess you get one good hole on each tank

NS Dev

posted on 9/10/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
dont' know about the rh design, but have done the tank on a sierra and the rubber does just push in and is then held in place by the filler spigot which shoves inside it, so should work ok.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

dave r

posted on 9/10/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
buy a new ford rubber and they will seal
you can also make a spacer to make the tank a little thicker and use the old seal... mine lasted a long time like that

dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.