Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boggs Rolling Road
DarrenW

posted on 9/10/07 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Boggs Rolling Road

Just got back from Boggs after getting bike carbs set up on their rolling road. Whilst i have never had a rolling road session done before so didnt know what to expect, i have to say Dave made the whole process extremely enjoyable. Once again all at Boggs have proven themselves to be a great bunch to deal with. I really cant praise them enough. They also set up my tracking for me. I was there about 3 hours in total and what they charged me amounts to no more than pocket money.

A big thumbs up from me.

We didnt set out to chase numbers so kept the revs down to safe limits, but even at 5K revs it showed 110bhp at the back wheels. Dave spent a long time getting the mixture just right across the rev range and boy does it feel smooth now! Iam so impressed. 110 at the wheels must equate to about 140 at the flywheel which for the mods done is very healthy indeed. I have now achieved my first goal of the same power to weight ratio as my old M3 Evo.

Sitting on the back of the car to add some weight whilst the wheels are touching 90 is quite an experience

If Boggs are reading this ill take the opportunity to say a big thankyou to you all for your hospitaility and service. Ive enjoyed every bit of our dealings.

jacko

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Darren am glad you had a good day and yes Dave bogg knows his stuff
you only went to 5000 rpm it would have been nice to see what it had at 6500
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 9/10/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Kent quote power from 2500 to 7000 on the FR32 but i dont know what it will peak at on my set up - guess 5700 or so. As we were only setting up the carb there wasnt point in taking any risks. Id guess at 115 at peak revs which will be between 140 / 145 at flywheel. Im very happy with this considering the mods are largely diy etc. It certainly feels far better than its been before.

Im pleased i went back - it was very lean at tickover before the set up. Apart from the rain its been a good experience.

I was also impressed by Dave's Mk1 Transit recovery truck that he has just finished, very nice indeed (V6).

[Edited on 9/10/07 by DarrenW]

coozer

posted on 9/10/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Darren. Did you get wet?

Did they have to change much in the carbs?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DarrenW

posted on 9/10/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I got soaked!!

Very little had to be changed. Basically setting the screws underneath, adjusting balance and setting needle height. For some reason my needles werent being retained correctly as well but Dave soon fettled that with no fuss or drama. He certainly paid a lot of attention to getting the mixture to stay good through the rev range.

Stoo

posted on 9/10/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting - so when I get my Zetec together with bike carbs is there anywhere further south that can setup bike carbs?

Anyone got any recommedations?

Stoo

MikeRJ

posted on 9/10/07 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenWAs we were only setting up the carb there wasnt point in taking any risks.

Normally fuelling should be set up over the entire operating range of the engine. How do you know it won't be running weak up around 6k-6.5k?

mcerd1

posted on 10/10/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be making my way down to Yorkshire (200 miles) for this with the Dax when I get it on the road (next year I'm telling myself) - so its good to hear another satisfied customer

Then I'll find out what a std injection head with a piper 285 and ZX9R carbs can do @ 7500+ rpm

the next evolution (once its been on the road a while) will be a cossie head - so I'd guess up to 8500 - 9000rpm

DarrenW

posted on 10/10/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenWAs we were only setting up the carb there wasnt point in taking any risks.

Normally fuelling should be set up over the entire operating range of the engine. How do you know it won't be running weak up around 6k-6.5k?

It was checked right at the end of the session at that point and found to be good, but all eyes were on the emissions and i didnt see what power it was producing .So in all honesty i can only quote what i saw at between 5 and 5.5K revs. And for me that figure is sound. Im well happy for now.

Im tempted to reset my shift lights now to a 6000 or 6200 red line. Doesnt seem much point taking the engine past that.

I was sceptical about driving the 180 mile round trip in the rain just to get the carbs set up, thinking they couldnt be too far out. Im now very pleased i did.

NS Dev

posted on 10/10/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

know what you're saying but with that cam it won't.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

david walker

posted on 10/10/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
You're right Nat, have told him before the FR32 is a crap cam for a Pinto in a lightweight car anyway!

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

DarrenW

posted on 11/10/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
You sure have David. If i recall correctly Piper A8 would be a better choice??? If i had some more pocket money id probs change it but alas i cant at the mo. Its still a fun car on the road though. for now im happy with 110 / 115 bhp at the wheels - even that gives me M3 P:W ratio.

Whilst at Boggs i saw a car with one of your engines (or at least it had your advert on the side). Looked like a grass tracker or something along those lines.

Im interested in understanding more about the cams. What makes the FR32 not so good in a light car? and the A8 a better choice?
I only stuck the 32 in as it was available cheap and the std original cam was in a bad way. I bought the cam off a chap with a Tiger who was looking for decent power. Apparently it had only been run up on the engine whailst at the Rolling road place - it didnt give the expected results so was taken out for something better - so that tells you a story i guess.

[Edited on 11/10/07 by DarrenW]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.