New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 20mph speed limit
ned

posted on 17/10/07 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
20mph speed limit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7046200.stm

Discuss

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 17/10/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7046200.stm

Discuss

If I expressed my true feelings they would need censoring. Therefore, I will discuss a point I have which is that 20mph speed limits with road humps make for dangerous roads. There is one near where I live and I was driving along it once trying to stick to the limit when I realised I had no idea what was happening on the pavement. My attention was so focussed on watching the speedo to see that I was keeping below 20, and steering road the various lumps on the road and chicanery which was installed that I would probably be oblivious to children who are too young to have heard of the green cross code and might not realise that cars hurt if they walked out in front of me.

Another point is, who will monitor all the speed cameras? How much will it cost and as pedestrians are to blame for the majority of accidents that take place on these types of road shouldn't they be educated rather than the motorist punished?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

bob

posted on 17/10/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I can understand this in school areas in rush hours but it wont work generally, doubtfull it will happen though.

I am thinking that driving at 20mph or less in 2nd or 3rd gear (1st gear for my mother) would produce more emissions.

Am i right?

Confused but excited.

posted on 17/10/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
"These policies have failed in spades. We need better drivers through education, information, and above all improved road safety culture."
Amen!

Traffic calming measures have been removed in Sweden because they cause more problems than existed before their inception.

Pollution inceased tenfold, because drivers accelerated between humps.

More children injured for the same reason (walking out from between parked cars).

When are the little grey men going to wake up, instead of having these knee jerk reactions, without thinking about the consequences?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

andyps

posted on 17/10/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is if they woke up and pointed out the truth they would be out of jobs so not much sense in that is there!

First gear through 20mph sections is ideal - make as much noise as possible to annoy the locals and get them to lobby for changes

Andy

wyatt

posted on 17/10/07 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
All the residential areas around my mum and Dads are 20mph

I think that it should be around Schools and parks were kids tend to run out and so on should be 20 but in general It should be a minimum of 90 sorry 30

www.bynxy.co.uk

DaveFJ

posted on 17/10/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
the speed limit in central ipswich has been 20mph for years... no real issues though as it really is only the very center of town where you can't generally get above 10mph anyway!

as long as it is kept to that kind of area and doesn't star including 'nromal' roads then fine!

to clarify - the areas in Ipswich that are 20mph would probably be pedestrian zones in most cities...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

v8kid

posted on 17/10/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
The figures are hard to argue with though. All those sweet little children murdered by us nasty motorists all for the sake of 10 mph.

Hang on a minuite I'm beginning to get a complex with all these people sniping at us poor motorists after all those children don't have to go to school do they? They could stay at home where its nice and safe.

Wait now. Don't I remember a government statistic sating 99.4% of all accidents happen in the home?

Thats it we'll ban homes and everyone will be Happy oh so Happy.

But I think my arguement, although rubbish, has as a sound a base as this bunck mytopic of half wits.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 17/10/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
has as a sound a base as this bunck mytopic of half wits.

Is that a bunch of myopic half wits ? We've had a 20 limit for a couple of years now and most people just seem to ignore it and carry on driving at 30, getting annoyed at the rest of us who follow the limit. It's funny watching them accelerate between the humps then brake and crawl over them. It's not a problem as the speed bumps would knock you about if you go fast anyway.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Confused but excited.

posted on 17/10/07 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
It's funny watching them accelerate between the humps then brake and crawl over them. It's not a problem as the speed bumps would knock you about if you go fast anyway.

But it is a problem.
Pollution up by a factor of 10, in residential areas with speed bumps,caused by hard accelleration between bumps.
Children crossing between parked cars, stick their heads out to see if anything is coming and promptly get them knocked off by a stupid chav accellerating like it's a drag strip, between the bumps.
Better education for pedestrians, as well as drivers is the only sensible solution.
IMHO of course.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

smart51

posted on 17/10/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel consumption is generally worse at 20 MPH than at 30. If the green lobby were told about that, even they would oppose it.

There would be mass disobedience, no-one would observe it. We need to let the politicians know about our feelings before its too late. None of them want to lose an election. WRITE TO YOUR MP, or start one of those No 10 petitions.

Ivan

posted on 17/10/07 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Everybody should just get Hummers then there's no need to slow down for speed bumps and you won't even feel the bump taking off little Johnny or Mary's head.

The local residents will also soon complain of the polution and shadow cast by the behemoths and do away with the limit then everybody can go back to their "mini" cars.

[Edited on 17/10/07 by Ivan]

billynomates

posted on 17/10/07 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
20 mph in pedestrian areas or around schools is fine by me, in fact, if you take to the road within a mile of a school at rush hour you'd be lucky to hit 20mph.

These nobbers that preach this kind of thing are work shy tossers if you ask me. Rather than going out and getting a proper job, which actually generates some revenue, they fanny about stating the obvious.

The latest one is that 230 people in a 'think tank' say thay fat people are fat because of the environment they live in. What a load of bo###cks.

cossiebri

posted on 17/10/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Most of portsmouth is already a 20mph zone.... with more to come (first city in the uk to have 'blanket 20mph zones' with a LOT more being phased in day by day

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

caber

posted on 17/10/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
What's the problem? average traffic speed in London is about 11 MPH during the day! Ken is just getting some press grabbing headlines in before the election and maybe hoping to get Boris done for speeding on his bike as well!

It should be interesting regular fit bike riders frequently exceed 20 mph on the flat, who is going to be nicking them while the traffic is at a standstill!

Caber

andyps

posted on 17/10/07 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt that anyone has an objection to a 20mph speed limit in areas such as outside schools, but typically where and when they are needed they become unnecesary because all the Mums who drive their kids who have no legs to school block the road to the extent that anything else is imposible anyway.

The problem is that the proposal is for this to be extended to every street which has houses on it, so all roads through towns and villages will gain 20mph speed limits. I don't think there is anyway anyone could persuade me this is either necessary or appropriate. And even worse will be the speed humps which would probably persuade me to buy a 4x4 which Icertainly have no other need for....

Andy

02GF74

posted on 17/10/07 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billynomates

The latest one is that 230 people in a 'think tank' say thay fat people are fat because of the environment they live in. What a load of bo###cks.

They're right you know. I am 28 stone and live just round the corner from mac donalds.

Macbeast

posted on 18/10/07 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't mind a 20 mph speed limit round here AS LONG AS THEY TAKE AWAY THE SPEED BUMPS

As said, it's very difficult to get up to 20mph in London.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.