Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Joining GRP Panels
scootz

posted on 17/10/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Joining GRP Panels

I want to make a one-piece body, but I don't have the space to do it in one go.

I don't have a great deal of experience working with GRP, so was wondering if it would be okay to make the four quarters independently and then join them all... next question I suppose - what would be the best technique for joining GRP panels to maintain strength?

Cheers

designer

posted on 17/10/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
You mould a lip at the panel joints and then join by bolting through.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 17/10/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Was hoping to have smooth seams.
blakep82

posted on 17/10/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
if you do it that way you could then fill the seams with filler.

other way i guess is to line all the panels up PERFECTLY, and then layer fibreglass over the inside of the seams. 3 layers. then filler over the top again

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

caber

posted on 17/10/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Gaffer tape

Caber

RazMan

posted on 17/10/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
As above, use the 'glass tape' method. Position panels in a good butt join and apply a 100mm strip of fibreglass mat behind the join. Then fill the front of the join with filler and sand down to a smooth finish, apply hi-build primer and paint.

*edit* You can always apply flowcoat to the inside when all the joins are done - that will make it opaque, hide the surgery marks and make it a bit stronger too.

[Edited on 17-10-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 17/10/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
oooh, and you said about panel strength. get some paper rope, and fibreglass that in to form fibreglass ridges to add some strength

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mave

posted on 18/10/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Be carefull with butt-joining two parts together, and only applying glass on the rear. Eventhough you will put filler over the gap, in due time the gap will work its way through the filler, and show through the paint (at least it does on my car; and the proper filler has been used). Best thing would be to add a glassfibre strip on both sides.
Mark.

posted on 20/10/07 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Imagine you are joining heavy steel plate, you would chamfer the edges so you get penetration(ooooerrr..) same applies with grp. chamfer both edges then use summat to hold both faces inline but with a wee gap...gel coat the join from the inside so this penetrates the gap...bit like using it as glue if yer like then lay up the inside with a good over lap but key the matting first and wipe it with acetone or it WILL fall apart.......once cured the gel coat ridge can be flatted and hopefully polished if the joins are good enough.......easy really

Mark.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.