Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First attempt at fiberglassing.
Dale

posted on 24/10/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
First attempt at fiberglassing.

Well I certainly would not want to be paying me by the hour for my body part making. AT the point of no return on the bonnet and nose now. First layers on and a couple more to go before seeing if it will come off my buck without destroying it. It will need a good coating of bondo over the part to get a nice finish on it but its looking tollerable so far.
Dale Rescued attachment DSCF0007_resize.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCF0007_resize.jpg

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

emsfactory

posted on 24/10/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Coming on Dale.
Might want to put something in to support the mould. Some stiffeners or some transverse and longitudinal frames. Would also make it easier when your making your part from the mould as you would have a built in stand.

Dale

posted on 25/10/07 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I am not making a female mold. The glassing that I am doing now will be the final part. the buck was made to have an 1/8 inch of glass on it to bring it up to full size and be skined with body filler to give a proper finish. For a one off part I could not see going the full route of making the buck + mold +part. Let alone the cost involved. Hopefully it works out.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Mark.

posted on 25/10/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Dale, If you flat that down then use grp tissue you won't have so much filler work to do and it will help keep the finished weight down.
Looks good though....lots of hard graft gone into that.

Mark.

02GF74

posted on 25/10/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Although I have not done this I have thought about it.

My approach would to build it up in layers, then smooth each one and use a finer mat on top ending up with tissue.

A bit like painting and rubbing down with 240, 400, 800 and 1200 wet 'n'dry.

May not be necessary as I am sure you can be quite brutal with the sanding on the final layer.

emsfactory

posted on 25/10/07 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale
I am not making a female mold. The glassing that I am doing now will be the final part. the buck was made to have an 1/8 inch of glass on it to bring it up to full size and be skined with body filler to give a proper finish. For a one off part I could not see going the full route of making the buck + mold +part. Let alone the cost involved. Hopefully it works out.
Dale

Ah, didn't get that.
You have a lot of sanding coming then

RazMan

posted on 25/10/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emsfactory
You have a lot of sanding coming then

Rubbing down resin & mat is a hell of a job so Mark's suggestion of applying a layer of tissue makes sense (after grinding off any high spots). You can then have a thin skim of filler which will sand easily .......... still loads of work though so be prepared to spend LOTS of time getting the finish smooth and ripple free.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Syd Bridge

posted on 25/10/07 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
1/8" is plenty to work with for Locost bodywork. That'll be at least 3/16 in places.

Get stuck in with 80 grit on a longboard before you go any further. When you've got all the high spots down to the lows, ( a light spray with a 'shadow coat beforehand helps a lot),just give a light skim with Bondo, then longboard again with 120.

You should then be able to spray on some hi build primer, then it's longboard once more with 240, then more hibuild, then hopefully paint!

The above is method that I am not amiss to doing, ...but not too often! To be avoided if at all possible!!!

Cheers,
Syd.

Delinquent

posted on 25/10/07 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The above is method that I am not amiss to doing, ...but not too often! To be avoided if at all possible!!!

Cheers,
Syd.

Too right, avoid like the plague in fact

Good luck with it - personally think you'd have been better off with a mould (if for no other reason than any damage means a very easy replacement) but it's very rewarding when you finally get to sweep up the knee deep dust and put a coat of paint on

Dale

posted on 25/10/07 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
It is done with two layers of 1 oz mat- so far. I am considering taking it off the buck while it is still some what flexable. Then be able to set it back on the buck for more top coats. But I would like to do most of the reinforcing on the underside.
Thanks
Dale

Thanks
Dale

RazMan

posted on 25/10/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
It's a big lump to hump around and will probably distort under its own weight. I would work on getting a good outside finish (tissue & filler) then carefully do the inside with more matting.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dale

posted on 26/10/07 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
Its gong back on the buck for the next top coat. then I will make a cradle to hold it upside down for reinforcing. Its remarkably stiff as it is alreadly ( must be the complex curve of the top of the bonnet) Rescued attachment DSCF0010_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0010_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

Dale

posted on 26/10/07 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Time to reshape the front wing where the join soon. Rescued attachment DSCF0011_resize.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCF0011_resize.jpg

Thanks
Dale

Fred W B

posted on 26/10/07 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
That is really starting to look like something now. The wing curve at the front has a lot of MG TC/TD about it.

Well done

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 26/10/07 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

ross

posted on 2/11/07 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dale,
You can get a material called peel tape which you lay up with resin as your final layer. This kinda floats on the suface and levels the surface. Once cured you just pull the tape off the resin to leave a pretty level surface with a finish that mimics the weave of the tape. It's designed for making one offs like you are doing.
Cheers
Ross

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.