Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: chop shop is it a con??
woodster

posted on 29/10/07 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
chop shop is it a con??

watched chop shop last night for the first time .. I've got a few questions

1. can you weld 2 vw polos together and it be road legal.
2. Is it really just that mad indian and a few polish welders doin the work
3. would his work pass mot

westcost1

posted on 29/10/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
1 no
2yes
3no

blakep82

posted on 29/10/07 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
hmm, cut and shut. unless there's a proper space frame chassis built to support all the weight and strength of the car, but i doubt thats what they did.

whats chop chop? king of cars on bravo?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Fatgadget

posted on 29/10/07 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I take it you haven't come across a cut and shut jobbie then! Mate of mine nearly bought one.It was a Cavalier turned the front was a year old and the rear 5 years old!
iank

posted on 29/10/07 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
1. Only if it passes an SVA inspection - it's a radically modified chassis.
2. No idea never watched the show
3. Very unlikely If they spot the welding - without evidence of the SVA pass/engineers report obviously.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mookaloid

posted on 29/10/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's quite scary

I have watched it and even if they are capable of passing an MOT, I can't believe any consideration has been given to rust proofing and how the car handles with 6" spacers bolted to the hubs etc etc

It's probably ok in Bangladesh but not here thanks.

I don't think he has a business anyway - the cost of producing a car must be far higher than they could ever sell it for.

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

locoboy

posted on 29/10/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Its a propper con,

its all playing up for the cameras and they seem to get an awful lot of work dont 'off camera'

I watched one a few weeks ago where they apparently had a fire, looked well staged, and as for his cry baby antics,..............i have seen better acting on Corrie!

ATB
Locoboy

chrisg

posted on 29/10/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
What about the SIX INCH wheel spacers on the 3 series BMW?

There's no way in the world that any of the cars would pass an MOT never mind an SVA.

Load of cobblers.

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Guinness

posted on 29/10/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
My internet demons prevent me from surfing ebay whilst at work, but there is a jag on ebay, I think under classic cars that was done by them. Not my taste at all!

If someone could have a look for it, it'll give you an idea what some hoplessly optimistic fool thinks his work is for!?

Mike

worX

posted on 29/10/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
hoof!!!

EBAY LINK

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
My internet demons prevent me from surfing ebay whilst at work, but there is a jag on ebay, I think under classic cars that was done by them. Not my taste at all!

If someone could have a look for it, it'll give you an idea what some hoplessly optimistic fool thinks his work is for!?

Mike

locoboy

posted on 29/10/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
from what i have seen all of his work is just big arches and wheel spacers, and he does some sort of bullshit dance thing whilst coming up with his design.

I guess he only knows one dance then!

ATB
Locoboy

iank

posted on 29/10/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Oh lordy that Jag is terrible. £12,500 with 30 bids so far and still hasn't reached its reserve

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

3GEComponents

posted on 29/10/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
That's £12,500 too much!!!

woodster

posted on 29/10/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
What about the SIX INCH wheel spacers on the 3 series BMW?

There's no way in the world that any of the cars would pass an MOT never mind an SVA.

Load of cobblers.

cheers

Chris

Cheers Chris as always beautifully put

Last night they built a surf pickup they HAD to finish it in 3 weeks so they could sell it at a surf comp ..... it HAD to be sold to keep their garage going... they never said if they sold it

Think the Indian guys a turd polisher

thunderace

posted on 29/10/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
how can they drive round london in that taxi (thats in the trailer for tonights episode)its no way road legal did anyone see the trailer??
woodster

posted on 29/10/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/chopshop/_home/index.shtml
speedyxjs

posted on 29/10/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness

Mike

Thats been on there for 6 months or so. I wonder why?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jabs

posted on 29/10/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Defo con, no way can they make any money from taking a scrap car and just fitting a new custom body to it. It a entertainment show pure and simple.

Regards 6" spacers, the mr2 to ferrari 355 kits use 5" spaces on the rear without problems

Wonder how much body filler they use?

[Edited on 29/10/07 by jabs]

procomp

posted on 29/10/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi It's not all about just wide arches with 2 ton of body filler and 6" wheel spacers.
Did you not see Bernie doing the race tunning on the engines to give all the extra horse power.

I think there was a mention in the programe somwhere that the cars would sell for 20k

Whats worrying is how many people are sat watching this sort of crap and then trying it them selfs .

cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 29/10/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
1. can you weld 2 vw polos together and it be road legal.
2. Is it really just that mad indian and a few polish welders doin the work
3. would his work pass mot

Whats a Stretched limmo is its not a Cut and shut job using both ends of the same car.
There was a Stretched Volvo Limmo in front of me inthe SVA shed. The Guys told me they need a SVA, as they are radically altered., and need to be checked for safety etc, ie a SVA check.

They slated the US stretch job they see (imports) saying the standard was not as good as UK built ones (Technical standard).

If they had their way ALL stretched limos would be banned.

and yes, if it can be SVA'd then its fit for the road, and a MoT test should not be a problem. Unless its over 3 tonnes and needs a Class 7 MoT etc.

As for the indian and polish bit, i dont know.
The standards in other parts of the world are not the same, and probably not has high as here in the UK.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 29/10/07 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
Think the Indian guys a turd polisher

The key to polishing a turd is lots of liquid nitrogen

--
Anonymous

zetec mike

posted on 29/10/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Why did we not see what time the Sumo car ran at santa pod ? they said it had a really powerfull 170 bhp engine ? I bet it was impressive !

They were down at brighton speed trials this year with one of their creations, unfortunately I didn't see it run so I dont know what time it run so I'm looking forward to that episode.

Not sure I would let the head mechanic anywhere near my car after comments such as " putting the wrong plugs in upsets the engines compressions".

Having said that it does make compelling viewing just to see what a horlicks they can make from scrappers that they actually pay for! (£300 for a polo ! ).
I would still rather watch that than any of the drivel like strictly celebrity factor brother dance me out of here stuff.

Moorron

posted on 29/10/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
think its a con, not connected but this is why i question anything now on telly.

I was 'having' a day off some months and trying to find something good to watch on cable i flicked over to one of the channels like bravo or men and motors or something of the like, when one of those type of programs come on. It was a 'rebuild' of a LDV 400 convoy transit style dropside (a pickup). As we built those back in the day i thought i would have a butchers.

Well! i nearly spat my drink all over the place. They were taking a knackered old LDV 400 dropside and making it into some tarty pickup with a jet ski on the back!

They showed how they stripped it down, 'repainted' the body and fitted a jetski onto the back covering the wooden floor of the dropside. They showed how they fitted the stereo system and alloy wheels ect.

doesnt seem to bad does it? considering we (ingimex ltd) build this with LDV for the 2001 (i think) SMMT show at the NEC i wasnt too impressed. Not only was it a complete lye it wasnt even a repainted body, but infact an Ingimex 'F2' stlye body with painted sideboards. The old body was a 'LDV' spec F1 (basically a cheaper version of our cheap version! lol).

i was so angry and now never believe any of this sort of TV show.

i will see if i can find some pics of it....

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Moorron

posted on 29/10/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
like this

but it was the single cab version.

we biult 3 all in, allt he same 'flip' colour.

argh!

Moorron

posted on 29/10/07 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
for us working on it (Barry and I) our own comments were;

You cant polish a turd! lol

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.