Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: side vents
Moorron

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
side vents

After turbo ing my crb1000 BEC i am concerned about temp issues and mainly the flow of air out of the engine bay. I really like the look of the side vents that ive seen on DAX RUSH cars the are on the lower part of the engine bay below he bonnet. I own an MK Indy and wanted to know if anyone knows where i can get some from, hopeflly in the same black as my car.

I can get some made out of alloy or stainless at work but we dont have the press tools for the large (25mm+?) rads that are on the ones i have seen.

In other words, are the ones i seen just retro fitted dax items?

can anyone post some pics of said vents???

Cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

higgsti

posted on 22/11/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
why dont you cut and flare the tub from the scuttle forward vents it and makes it easier to get at your engine
Humbug

posted on 22/11/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean like this:

or this:

?

They don't look too difficult to make, as higgsti says. Ali would be quite easy. If you've got fibreglass sides, you could cut out 3 sides of a rectangle, leaving the front connected, and make up some long thin triangles to fill the gaps top and bottom.

welderman

posted on 22/11/07 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
i would say second picture, some westi boys do this ive been recently told

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

speedyxjs

posted on 23/11/07 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I like these but then i would

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

locoR1

posted on 23/11/07 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
After driving around all summer with no engine bay side panel guess what I'm doing when I've got the rest of the car back together? You've probably guessed "Vented side panels" like the second picture!

So after the initial bec turbo craze are we now starting the vented side panel craze?

Dave........

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

bimbleuk

posted on 23/11/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've made simple wedge shape side vents for either side on mine so nothing special to look at but they work very well.
saigonij

posted on 23/11/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
How could you go about making the side panel vents like in the second picture?

also, what about cutting some 120mm holes and using a PC fan to blow hot air out the side?

jamestziros

posted on 23/11/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all

I have made some from Aluminium, see my photo archive for some initial 1st go pics.

I must say it was not an easy job, the one you see in the pics are the first go with a square bottom which looks naff. The 2nd shot looks a lot better with a rounded bottom & need finishing still - let me know if you want pics...!

I basically started from the horizontal top chassis edge & formed the panel over a vertical wooden jig at the vent end which was fixed to the chassis - else it falls off and makes things difficult.

Getting a good radi bend from the front to the back on the top edge . I did use a bit of heat initially too.

After I got the general shape I trimmed the vent profile about 12mm long & them folded this back into the chassis around a painted steel rod (that was in the same form of the vent profile) Then rub down with wet & dry & flatten off any imperfection in the rest of the panel.

James

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=Side_with_Panels-WIP.JPG

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=NearSidePanels-WIP.JPG

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=Rolled_Panel_Close.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Vdub boy

posted on 23/11/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running flared side panels on my dax and its makes a huge difference to under bonnet temperture.

cheers

Leigh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.