Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger - New Brochure - Hhhhhmmmmm
unkle

posted on 28/11/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger - New Brochure - Hhhhhmmmmm

Now i'm certainly no expert but I quote from Tigers new brochure and the Avon section regarding 0-60:

".......fitting a 2ltr Zetec with Webers will give approximately 5.3 Seconds"

Sounds a bit optomistic to me - no?

Marcus

posted on 28/11/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds reasonable to me. My 1700 crossflow is a gnats over 6s to 60. A standard 'blade car will do it in around 4s.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nib1980

posted on 28/11/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nope sounds fair to me, my xflow, isn';t far from that.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/11/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i'd have thought they could even be a little pessimistic at that!! My Super 6 was around the 5.5 second mark and that was a fair bit heavier than an Avon. If you look at the B6 they are claiming 4.5s 0-60mph with a GSXR1000. Now i have been a passenger in a ZX12r tiger that was doing easy sub 4s even with me in the car as a passenger so again could hardly be accused of exagerating the performance.

Most manufacturers would be claiming sub-5s i'm sure for a 165bhp car!!

[Edited on 28/11/07 by Paul TigerB6]

unkle

posted on 28/11/07 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I stand corrected

Told you I knew nothing!

Interesting though as a conversation I had with Chester Sports Cars suggested an Avon with a 2.0l standard zetec would be 6.5 - 7 seconds - thought it sounded a bit too high.

Glad to hear it shoudl achieve sub 6 - or more with a bit of tuning

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/11/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unkle
Interesting though as a conversation I had with Chester Sports Cars suggested an Avon with a 2.0l standard zetec would be 6.5 - 7 seconds - thought it sounded a bit too high.

Glad to hear it shoudl achieve sub 6 - or more with a bit of tuning

The way Graham drives it might be 6.5 - 7s but give it some stick and I recon you'll be down around the 5s mark.

One of the biggest differences you will make on the 0-60mph time is not through a lower ratio diff or gearing but to get decent tyres (R888's or Yoko A048r's) as traction off the line is the tricky bit IMHO with "standard" tyres designed to last 20k miles on a ton of tintop.

So are you ordering from CSC then?? Graham gives fantastic service and comes very highly recommended. They also do a bike carb / MegaJolt kit for the Zetec which is lots cheaper and in my opinion far better than Webers. You could save some cash going DIY but for your first build its worth considering. I only live 15 mins from CSC so know them really well now.

unkle

posted on 28/11/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Still not 100% Decided! (on which car/kit) -

Although if I go the Avon/Tiger route then yes it will be from Chester/Graham. Reasonably priced as well to build I thought.

I know not the cheapest way to do it, but if you bought the "full kit" from Tiger delivered to your door is a little over £10k on a standard 1.8l Zetec. And no doubt some parts wouldn't fit, the engine/box would probably need a recon (and thats a 1.8 zetec) etc.

A fully built Avon from Chester - recon 2.0l zetec engine (rebored, new pistons, new water & oil pumps, recon cyl head, new clutch, flywheel etc etc) and as you say comes with Kawasaki bike carbs and ignition tuning, rolling road, SVA, tax etc etc for only about £2k more!

add to that all new brake parts included (could upgrade as well) boot and tonneau covers etc all included in the price, i'm not sure how Tiger ever sell a comprehensive kit!

And your lucky - i'm about 200 miles from csc otherwise that would probably make my mind up between the tiger & striker.

speedyxjs

posted on 28/11/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking of optomistic, that website that was shown on here a little while back showing potential car stats said that my 2.9 155hp jag engine would do 60 in about 3 seconds
The 4l supercharged will aparently do it in 2.7

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Avoneer

posted on 28/11/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
And your Avon will still have 1 wheel arch 1" wider than the other, poor overall symetry and the wrong size front shocks supplied.

Don't do it.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unkle

posted on 28/11/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
And your Avon will still have 1 wheel arch 1" wider than the other, poor overall symetry and the wrong size front shocks supplied.

Don't do it.

Pat...

Sounds like experience talking

onzarob

posted on 29/11/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer

Don't do it.

Pat...

Sounds like experience talking

I get more confuse on which kit the more i read....

I like your building quote 'Nothing yet......still can't decide!'

I'm glad I started researching with no timescale this is going to take a while

(I like the look of the avon)

unkle

posted on 29/11/07 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm slowly learning there is no "best" kit car!

Different people want different things, cost plays a part of course and to an extent you do get what you pay for.

Avon's "issue's" are well documented on here and elsewhere, but I still think it's one of the best looking Kit 7's.

Having a drive does help - although sometimes it can just add to the confusion!

For what it's worth, this has been my thought train......

Caterham, V nice, very well put together, from those who have built them themselves it bolts together perfectly. But £13k for a base model (that for a 7 isn't that quick) discounted it for me, and £13k isvery very basic spec.

Westfield: just didn't like them, nothing especially wrong just didn't like the look, felt sloppy and again quite expensive for what you get.

Tiger, just don't like the look of the Cat or B/R6, Like the look of the Avon but build issue's - quite tight in the cockpit but felt a really nice drive.

MK/MNR/Mac : still need to look into more for these relatively small manufacturers. I think the MK has probably the nicest lines, especially bonnet. Have been in an MK Indy about 9 months ago ,may just have been a bad build but wasn't overally impressed.

Raw striker : Slightly different looking
think the rear is just the best on any 7 style, front a ok, sides - well different! However by far the nicest (or make that more akin to what I like/want) to drive, handles brilliantly and the engine (20v Toyota) is simply superb. And I guess thats why I keep coming back to it - ultimately I want a 7 to drive, to take around the track and (so far) this fits the bill, for me, best.

So there you go - today a Striker............tomorrow who knows!

Another thing i've found is the "advertised" prices though:

you start off and think - not bad, then comes:

Oh, I can upgrade to a close ratio box, £900
Oh, I can upgrade the brakes, £800

etc etc, oh it's just gone up £4k!

[Edited on 30/11/07 by unkle]

DaveFJ

posted on 30/11/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
for what it's worth i went through the same process 4.5 years ago and still settled on the Avon and an estimated budget of £5.5k. It currently stands at over £11k and it's not finished yet - probably another £1k to get it on the road!

[Edited on 30/11/07 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

David Jenkins

posted on 30/11/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,

I hope your wife isn't looking over your shoulder!

David

DaveFJ

posted on 30/11/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Nope - as far as she is concerend it is " a little over £7k" - obviously for a given value of "a little"!!!

Dave

unkle

posted on 30/11/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I just priced up the Raw striker - can't get below £13k.........

If I spec fully what I want it's nearer £15k

So that's a little over £8.5k then in wife speak!

Rudy

posted on 30/11/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I will need to teach my wife the "wife speak"

[Edited on 30/11/07 by Rudy]

Sorry about my English

DaveFJ

posted on 30/11/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I just priced up the Raw striker - can't get below £13k.........

If I spec fully what I want it's nearer £15k

So that's a little over £8.5k then in wife speak!

Just remeber you can never fully budget for the stuff you need... there are loads of things that I guarantee you have not thought of and they all add up! couple of quid here for some paint, a tenner there for some tywraps.... £150 to replace the wife's sewing machine broken trying to sticth vinyl

Dave

unkle

posted on 30/11/07 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Appreciate that, which is why what ever budget I end up for thinking "thats everything" I'm going to add a further 10% for unforseen eventualities like repairing sewing machines!

If you build I guess for most it's a "once in a lifetime" experience, therefore to an extent money's an after thought!

soggy 3

posted on 30/11/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I boubt i have spent more than 6K, but then it has taken five years!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.