Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What type of wiper motor
vindicator

posted on 30/11/07 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
What type of wiper motor

At long last I am about to install the front window screen, but have been informed that I also have to fit the wiper motor etc at the same time...or Mr plod will get me....

I was looking at the cost of a new Lucas wiper motor, wheel boxes, arms and blades and it looks like spending over £200 on this alone.

What have other people used in the way of wiper motors from other vehicles at scrap yards., or is there a cheaper route than that going to the kit car shops and buying brand new.

Trying to see a clear way thru this....

Bluemoon

posted on 30/11/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
OLD mini, you will need motor wheel box's etc..... You might find one from the westfeild guys as they seem to replace the screen with aeroscreen. This is what I did cheap, and also very little ware on the parts. You might need to change the bundy tube but this is only about 12 quid. You will also find new wippers and arms on ebay for about 15quid all in..

The lucas parts are still available so you might find the parts form a lucas supplier.

Dan

[Edited on 30/11/07 by Bluemoon]

Rudy

posted on 30/11/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
try premierwiring, lucas motor kit 125,00, you will need to shortner wiper arm and also 10" blade are too long , maybe you will need 8". I did in that way.

[Edited on 30/11/07 by Rudy]

Sorry about my English

britishtrident

posted on 30/11/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
MG Midget is ideal, Mini or MGB are also OK Triumph Herald or Toledo/ Dolomite also might work..

I have a complete MG Midget setup lying in a box somewhere in my loft if you are interested, I would dig it out.

[Edited on 30/11/07 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bob tatt

posted on 30/11/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
i have a never been used mini moter with all tubes no blades bought it for a tiger i built about four years ago make me an offer they are about 165 new i think although it was a long time ago.
Simon

posted on 1/12/07 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
It's not Mr Plod that will get you, you wouldn't get to the road - SVA point

If you fit a windscreen, then you need wipers and an effective demister. If you don't fit a windscreen, you don't need them.

Easiest thing to do is fit small wind deflector, otherwise known as a flyscreen, which you look over.

ATB

Simon

Steve @ sVc

posted on 1/12/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
The most popular is the Lucas 14W wiper motor as its still in production and are readily avaliable from scrap yards (as are new brush sets etc).
sVc have a wiper section on the web site as we were getting twice the number of technical questions about wipers than everything else.
www.s-v-c.co.uk
One point to remember please. Whoever you get the parts from - do not use copper tubing for the drive rack as it wears out quickly and leads to the motor slowing down and potentially burning out. There was a lucas technical sheet about this, but some suppliers still insist on using copper.
hope this helps
Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 3/12/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't mind moving things under your scuttle, Vauxhall Nova work well, you do need to shorten the linkages though.
Doing this Makes you have tidy wiring underneath!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vindicator

posted on 3/12/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
not bothered about SVA as already have mine....Just have to fit the screen, wipers, washers and then hood and then I think I may be finished......Have an offer from a local guy with all the bits to fit together....for a reasonable price....Thanks for the offers lads...

regards

Tim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.