Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 306 pulls to the left when I let off accelerator
MattCraneCustoms

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
306 pulls to the left when I let off accelerator

Hi all, after driving my sisters 306 I noticed that each time I let my foot of the accelerator, the steering wheel jolts to the left, has anyone any idea what this could be? my first thoughts were suspension bush, but when I rocked the wheels it didnt seem to shift. Im just wondering if anyone on here has experienced similar.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

billynomates

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Right knee catching the steering wheel
speedyxjs

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billynomates
Right knee catching the steering wheel

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
haha if only it were that simple . .
rusty nuts

posted on 11/12/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try watching the front wheels when someone is driving off or reversing, you may find one wheel moving in the wheel arch due to weak lower suspension arm rear bush. May show up if you try rocking the wheel backwards and forwards.
rallyingden

posted on 11/12/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Pound to a penny its front tie rod letting the front wheel move back as you decellerate.
Had the same thing on son's Nova.

RD

rusty nuts

posted on 11/12/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
No tie rod on a 306
rallyingden

posted on 11/12/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rusty Nuts

OOPS

The pounds yours then.........

Come collect any time

RD

MkIndy7

posted on 11/12/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rallyingden
Pound to a penny its front tie rod letting the front wheel move back as you decellerate.
Had the same thing on son's Nova.

RD

Same thing happens on my Nova when the bottom ball joint comes loose from the wishbone.
And I think the steering arm ball joint gets pulled out of its taper and buggers the thread on the locknut as well!

Poor things having to try and resist the power and torque of a Red Top XE

I think my old fiesta started to do a smiliar thing when the wheel bearing was on its way out, So its looking like its something suspensionbearing related

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 11/12/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
More than likely to be a bush away or even the ball joint. The wheel must be moving backwards to make it pull to one side. You will have to jack the car up and use a lever on the bottom wishbone bushes to check for movement. Get it checked out soon though as it won't get better. Failing that i will give her £20 for it
jollygreengiant

posted on 11/12/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom ball joint, track rod end, steering rack ball end, bottom arm bush, or, front strut inner support bearing. These WILL be the likely culprits.
The ONLY way to check them is with the front wheels of the ground and with a good strong lever bar. Except for the strut inner support bearing, hold the wheel at 10 to and 20 past then give a good in and out heave (after you have checked ball joints). If the steering wheel is jolting, then the play should come from the left, if the car is pulling to the left then look on the right side.

Hope this helps.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Craig T

posted on 11/12/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Happened on a fiat bravo my girlfriend used to have. It was the lower suspension arm that needed replacing on that.

Craig.

hillbillyracer

posted on 11/12/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Bottom ball joint, track rod end, steering rack ball end, bottom arm bush, or, front strut inner support bearing. These WILL be the likely culprits.
The ONLY way to check them is with the front wheels of the ground and with a good strong lever bar. Except for the strut inner support bearing, hold the wheel at 10 to and 20 past then give a good in and out heave (after you have checked ball joints). If the steering wheel is jolting, then the play should come from the left, if the car is pulling to the left then look on the right side.

Hope this helps.

Not the only way, try watching the balljoints, suspension bushes & track rod ends & inner steering rack joints with the car on the ground & someone moving the steering wheel about 6" one way & the other.
I've seen play in balljoints in particular using this method when it didnt show using other methods.
Not to say dont do the other stuff folk have mentioned, do them all because sometimes one way will show a fault when another doesnt.
Favorite is the bottom balljoints or the suspension arm inner bushes, I think you can get bushes seperate but the balljoint is part of the arm which comes with new bushes anyway.

Chippy

posted on 11/12/07 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
The one thing that has not been mentioned, could be a sticking caliper. Had that happen on my car, drove fine, but as soon as you lifted of pulled to the left. Just a thought, Cheers Ray
balidey

posted on 12/12/07 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem on my 206 about 8 months ago. Took ages to find out what it was, lower ball joint on one wishbone was completly shagged, but there was no wheel movement when jacked up, even with long pry bars. So out of desperation I changed a wishbone and as soon as it was off you could see the ball joint could move about 10mm
westcost1

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
how many miles has it done? If it is bottom bj or top get the hole arm not just the ball joint, costs more but is a lot less messing around and the inner bushes will probably be worn to. Is there any uneven tire ware? if the break is sticking on the wheel will be v hot so check one side and compare to the other after a short drive.
MattCraneCustoms

posted on 12/12/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
its done 70000 miles. Thanks for the replies chaps, my thoughts were lower rear wishbone bush. I'll jack it up at the weekend and attack it with a long bar, see what I get. I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks and regards,
Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.