Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Warning bad drawing ahead
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Warning bad drawing ahead

Please excuse if you can the sh*t^ drawing (no cad at work). Has anyone come across a design that has the upper wishbone offset like that? It's how it’s been done on the Honda Williams (possibly for the spring link arm to clear the drive shaft) and if I was to change it so it looked more normal would really affect the authenticity of the replica.

Is there any downside to that layout? Or does it just look odd..

Cheers.

[Edited on 17/12/07 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment suspension.GIF
Rescued attachment suspension.GIF

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
unless the upright is very stiff it looks like there could be some twisting movement changing the geometry by the steering loads. If done by Honda Williams then you know they have engineered it in for a reason.
I doubt you could make it work for you at home without the complete package of williams engineers.IMHO

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

D Beddows

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

really affect the authenticity of the replica.

what, you mean more than having a wheezy old Ford V6 from a Capri for an engine and an automatic gearbox.....

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
quote:

really affect the authenticity of the replica.

what, you mean more than having a wheezy old Ford V6 from a Capri for an engine and an automatic gearbox.....

do you have a spare F1 engine lying around? neither do I anyway you can't see the engine but those wishbones are huge, what's worse is the bodywork is shaped by the rear ones.

It's not wheezy, it thunders! and whines loudly thanks to my metal timing cog

[Edited on 17/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
one benefit of this set up (assuming it is as it looks) is that you can adjust toe without changing camber. Though im sure as simple a reason as this didnt motivate honda.
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/07 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
My first ideas for an explanation to it purpose was to do with the direction of resultant forces from accelerating, though an engineer would probably say I'm talking bo$£ocks

[Edited on 17/12/07 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment thrust.GIF
Rescued attachment thrust.GIF

bigbird

posted on 17/12/07 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
offset wishbones

It is similar to a Fisher Fury IRS which mounts the coil over on the bottom wishbone, but offset to one side to clear the driveshaft, though the top of the upright is a triangular shape rather than being rectangular.You can see pics on their website... www.fishersportscars.co.uk then go to the gallery site from there.
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigbird
It is similar to a Fisher Fury IRS which mounts the coil over on the bottom wishbone, but offset to one side to clear the driveshaft, though the top of the upright is a triangular shape rather than being rectangular.You can see pics on their website... www.fishersportscars.co.uk then go to the gallery site from there.

cheers dude, that does look similar

nitram38

posted on 17/12/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think it could be more to do with anti-dive geometry
britishtrident

posted on 17/12/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
It will work --- however the bottom wishbone and toe control link should be separate pieces.

You get some odd twisting forces on rear upright which i turn will increase the loads on the upper wishbone and the ball joint.

However I also would be more worried about using that titanic anchor of an engine.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Bob C

posted on 17/12/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
JoelP hit the nail on the head. It's so you can adjust toe independent of camber.
Bob

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

However I also would be more worried about using that titanic anchor of an engine.
quote:

everyone’s got it in for my lovely engine

It's not heavy it just big boned! Though if anyone’s got an alloy timing gear cover that would be nice

jambojeef

posted on 17/12/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Whippy,

In an effort to at least keep the engine from the same manufacturer - how about the v6 2.7 litre Honda Legend engine?

All Aluminium and I have it on good authority that its one fine engine....U2U Liam he is obscenely knowledgable in this particular field of automotive engineering.

Seriously - I cant think of a worse engine to put in an FW11B replica - apart from maybe a mower?

Just been looking at some old pics of the 11B and turboing the Honda v6 could give you the looks and packaging of the F1 engine plus respectable power and weight and if mated to, Im guessing, an Audi transaxle could make it at least the right layout.

Youve gotta at least give it some thought - hopefully as the final nail in the coffin - a mte of mine who is currently digging foundations for a garage found a cologne v6 buried in the garden!

Do you really want to use that engine as propulsion for an F1 replica from the turbo era?

Im sure you have your reasons for choosing it intially but this is gonna be a long project and I reckon a bit of extra fuss now could save a lot in the future?

[Edited on 17/12/07 by jambojeef]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.