Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mobile Internet Access
RazMan

posted on 26/12/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mobile Internet Access

Just looking at getting a mobile broadband connection so I can get on line while at work (in the middle of nowhere)

'3' are advertising a broadband deal at £10 per month but want a 24 month contract. I only want a short term contract so is there anything better out there?

Also, what is a mobile broadband connection like? Is it reliable or will it let me down?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pdlewis

posted on 26/12/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
My experience with Vodafone mobile broadband is that it is fantastic in the middle of large cities otherwise it is the most fustraiting thing you have ever tried
RazMan

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
How does the billing work? I assume that downloading large files would be expensive but all I want to do is forum chat and emails - is it payg?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you just want to surf/email, do a search for speedsurfer 2.
I am looking at this as it is gprs and is cheap.

RazMan

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a link Nitram? All I can find is some ISDN related stuff

Cheers,
Raz

fatfranky

posted on 27/12/07 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've just gone on to a T Mobile contract, which includes unlimited daily internet for a maximum of £1 per day (I don't use internet every day) or £7.50 per month for unlimited access.

Much faster in 3G areas which you would suspect that middle of nowhere probably doesn't have

r3nuf

posted on 27/12/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Raz ,

I think this may be the product that Nitram was refering to?

Pocket Surfer 2

I am sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but it may be a good option for you.

Gary

Drive Fast....Brake Late....Take Chances

nitram38

posted on 27/12/07 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry you are right, pocket surfer 2!
I have been doing 12 hour shifts over christmas

NeilP

posted on 27/12/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Mike,

Been looking at this for my parents.

3 have a map on their website that shows coverage of the 3G product - they also have a 'turbo' product (I don't know so don't ask ) which is already on in the cities but goes wider in Apr 08. They've also just announced a merger (IIRC) with T-mobile so their coverage is going to get much wider fairly soon.

They do a PAYG and a Pay Monthly product - latter has 'free' download included and I think you can add packs to this for £5 increments.

HTH, Neil.

p.s. No good for parents as just outside of the range

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

nitram38

posted on 27/12/07 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Pocket Surfer gives you 20 hours per month free included in the purchase price of £179. Renewel is going to be £40 per year or less.
If you want unlimited access, you can pay £5.99 per month.
The good thing is that you can opt for the £5.99 unlimited for just a month if you want too.
To me it looks the cheapest option out there and with the wide screen, will make surfing easier than a small screen mobile and not as bulky as a full blown laptop.

zxrlocost

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
hi raz I have the 3 mobile internet

they have from memory 3 options 1gb a month £10

3gb a month £15 and a bigger one £30

you pay for the dongle £79 if you have 1gb a month at £10

£49 for the £15 3 gb a month ad free if you have the bigger one at £30 a month

its an 18 month contract

but I have gone for the £15 a month 3gb and I paid 49 pounds for the dongle

its basically a sim card inside a smart little usb thing very small nothing else needed apart from USB

you plug it in it installs itself I had some prob installing as it kept recognising a storage device

basically for £15 a month they just DD it out of my bank it tells me how much ive used in the lilttle options under the program it installs I doubt ill get near to it as I dont really download

I bought it for my unit as I dont believe in getting stung for things like business broadband and phone I can log on here ebay and do my emails which is all i intended it for

review

Sometimes its quicker than my home broadband it downloads little files quick

occasiionally you click things and it takes a bit to react then suddenly downloads the page

but for what I want it for it does the job
hope that helps

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

RazMan

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys

I think the Pocket Surfer is probably a bit too basic for me and as I will always have a laptop with me perhaps one of the dongle systems would be better.

The 3 deal sounds about right - £10 per month would give me more than enough download capacity as I do my serious downloads on my home system anyway. I wonder if the dongles are available separately (eBay?) as they seem a bit pricey.

I'll check the coverage of the area first before I commit to anything.

Cheers,
Raz

McLannahan

posted on 27/12/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Raz - 3 now offer PAYG Tinterweb. May suit you better than signing up for a contract.

Basic allowances but at least you'd be independant!

Good luck in your new job!

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/index.omp

Schrodinger

posted on 27/12/07 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Raz check very carefully what the turbo coverage is like where you want to use it. I was tempted by this earlier in the year but found that the Turbo coverage ammounted to nil outside London at the time.nut may be better now.

Keith
Aviemore

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.