Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: High Speed,Low Cost
robinbastd

posted on 10/10/03 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
High Speed,Low Cost

This book has been discussed in this little corner of locostbuilders before,usually along the lines of "where can I get it,etc"
Well, the good news is that it has been reprinted and is available from Rob Macknay. Signed by Mr Staniforth himself!
It is £24.99 + p&p. Robs email address is RMc at aol.com (just remove the at bit,blah blah.
Absolutely nothing in it for me,apart from a warm glow from helping a nice bloke to sell a few books!
Regards,
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

fastenuff

posted on 12/10/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Read the book about a yeatr ago a shame there were no plans with it any more as they 've gotten lost after not finishing the car. Reckon the book will be without plans.

Ingmar

robinbastd

posted on 12/10/03 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
The plans are available on 3 large sheets. £60,which is fine if you are building a Terrapin,but if you are going the mid engined locost thing the back of an envelope is a good a place as any!

Ian

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/10/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think a rusty X19 (<£100)would be a good place to start, everything you need in one small, cheap package, ...oh, and I believe a bertone expert lives not too far away from you!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 24/10/03 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
got the book earlier in the week, not read it yet just keep diving in reading little parts..... fantastic read so far. Couple of quotes stick with me,

(heavily paraphrased as i don't have the book with me)

"Some people like to just maintain vehicals with no interest in racing them, these people are like gold dust, if you find someone who is female marry them"

"time spent on making the suspension accurate can pay dividends. Badly made suspension could end up with you in hospital or next door at the mortuary!"

Alan B

posted on 24/10/03 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it is fully of many words of wisdom.

It has inspired me as much (if not more) than the "booK"

The only thing a little out of date based on my copy is the lack of cheap MIG equipment at the time of writng, and hence the use of brazing. If the choice was braze or gas wekd then I would have brazed too....however had MIG been readily available....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 26/10/03 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Now who's stumped up the 60 quid for the plans? Are they any good cause i'm really tempted.... next project you understand
Terrapin_racing

posted on 6/2/04 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
High Speed Low Cost 140MPH racer

Just picked up on the mail here on your exellent site. If any members want to buy the book (and yes - full scale engineering drawings to build the car are once more available. You even get full support from Allan Staniforth himself!) please quote this site and I'll give you 10% discount.

See this site for direct order details

http://groups.msn.com/Locost/terrapinracecar.msnw

Cheers & best wishes to all car builders
Rob Macknay

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Terrapin_racing

posted on 6/2/04 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
High Speed Low Cost 140MPH racer

Just picked up on the mail here on your exellent site. If any members want to buy the book (and yes - full scale engineering drawings to build the car are once more available. You even get full support from Allan Staniforth himself!) please quote this site and I'll give you 10% discount.

See this site for direct order details

http://groups.msn.com/Locost/terrapinracecar.msnw

Cheers & best wishes to all car builders
Rob Macknay

fia289

posted on 6/2/04 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I Rob nice to see you posting here !!

Mike R: Yes the plans are good... and the book should be in everyones library I found it more insightfull than the Ron's book...

I've already built a small balsa model of the car and I'm picking up my steel next week for my build...YES the saga has begun ......

Fred

robinbastd

posted on 7/2/04 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rob,
As has just been said,nice to see you here!
Do I get a 10% rebate??????
Ian

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/2/04 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Saving pennies for something special?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

robinbastd

posted on 7/2/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well Mark,every penny counts.......and I need about 949999. Found one today when collecting Dreckly's GTS kit.
2nd hand kidney anyone?
Ian

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/2/04 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
All that for a latin book, as Bugs Bennets would say!

robinbastd

posted on 8/2/04 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Jeez, he was my form tutor!
Just about to start ebaying most of my possessions.......................

Ian

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/2/04 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
He was my form tutor '72-'73, the bugger is still going strong, bit greyer, but still as sharp.

Reg Watkiss, on leaving the Star in Penzance, grabbed my by the ear and accused me of truanting - as I was walking up Market Jew Street pushing my daughter in her push chair whilst shopping - nothing changes!!

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/2/04 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
He was my form tutor '72-'73, the bugger is still going strong, bit greyer, but still as sharp.

Reg Watkiss, on leaving the Star in Penzance, grabbed my by the ear and accused me of truanting - as I was walking up Market Jew Street pushing my daughter in her push chair whilst shopping - nothing changes!!

Terrapin_racing

posted on 16/2/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes of course you can all have 10% discount. What more can I say?

Retail is £24.99 + £4 (uk insured next day delivery)
So Locost site members on UK can have it for £26 "all in" - I think the maths is right?
Just mail me & I'll let you have details.
About a dozen serious builders now on the go (there were originally 80 registered cars build)
Also - I'll try to remember to include a photocopy of an early press coverage - Terrapins take on the local in Barbados - a humerous account of the Terrapin team trip to the Caribbean - Team leader Staniforth in charge!). Rum punches seem to figure a lot in this?? Rescued attachment WilliamsTerrapin.JPG
Rescued attachment WilliamsTerrapin.JPG

Terrapin_racing

posted on 16/2/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
A (poor) shot of one of the plan sheets for info.
PS: Buying the plans from Allan includes full tech support from him. Rescued attachment plans1.JPG
Rescued attachment plans1.JPG

cooper5

posted on 3/2/14 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
high speed lo cost book

Hi Guys - i am about to start building a Terrapin over here in New Zealand but i would really like a copy of the book, we had one at our local library untill our rather large quake destroyed a few buildings one being the library which still has not sorted the mess - can anyone tell me how to get a copy i cant seem to hook up to the link provided, not sure why - any help would be appreciated regards Mark
kb58

posted on 3/2/14 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
This was the book that started me on this crazy car thing. I borrowed an original copy, then when it was reprinted maybe 10 years ago, I immediately placed an order and even got to talk to Allan himself. I let him know that he had passed on a wonderful gift in the form of all his knowledge, and I was glad to have been able to tell him so before he passed away. Oh, and he signed it!

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Sam_68

posted on 3/2/14 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cooper5
Hi Guys - i am about to start building a Terrapin over here in New Zealand but i would really like a copy of the book, we had one at our local library untill our rather large quake destroyed a few buildings one being the library which still has not sorted the mess - can anyone tell me how to get a copy i cant seem to hook up to the link provided, not sure why - any help would be appreciated regards Mark

I have a copy of the original hardback edition, in very good condition, that I'd be willing to part with for the going rate (call it £70 plus P&P to NZ):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Speed-Cost-Allan-Staniforth/dp/085059037X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391422361&sr=8-1&keywords=High+Speed+low+Co st

... Or you could but it directly from one of the vendors on Amazon, of course!

It was Allan who set me off on the road to an obsession with suspension and chassis design: he lived not far from me, and used to compete regularly at our local hillclimb venue at Harewood, near Leeds. As a teenager I used to bother him on an almost fortnightly basis with increasingly complicated questions, which he bore with great good humour and tolerance!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.