Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll bars
bassett

posted on 27/12/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Roll bars

Hi just wondering what everyone has done about roll bars on their cars. Have you kept it low for aesthetics or is it high enough to protect you incase you rolled it. Also if you track(not race) your car is there any safety requirement?
Thanks

onzarob

posted on 27/12/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on the legal requirements, but remember its your head

I would/will go for a RAC approved one

(PS been upside-down a few times I know!!!)

[Edited on 28-12-2007 by onzarob]

Confused but excited.

posted on 27/12/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
If it isn't high enough to protect your head, then there's no point in fitting it.
What do you prize most highly? The look of the car or your life.
Not a hard decision in my book.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

caber

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
How many 7s end up upside down except on the track?

Caber

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Probably not that many but it does become a problem if it's your own one

Personnally at some time I'd like to see a full cage on my own one (Around 2018 LOL)

[Edited on 27/12/07 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the Tiger race spec rear bars which i think are made by Caged. The front half bolts on to this and is in use for the Tiger race series so for track days i intend to always use the full cage and maybe take it off for road use (might leave it on yet though as it stiffens the chassis further and improves handling apparently. Personally i think a se7en looks better with a braced rollbar anyway - and further to it needing to clear your head mentioned earlier, i'd say it really needs to clear your head whilst wearing a skid lid so probably another inch over.

If you are unfortunate enough to go over without a proper rollbar, well you might not get a chance to fit one next time!!!

Wasnt there some pics a fair while back of a Westie that was rolled in an accident on the road???? Was pretty scary from what i remember

bassett

posted on 28/12/07 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yes safety is a massive concern but what does everyone think of the roll bar on our kit were trying to decide to leave it or adjust it. Not sure how to add pictures at the moment but its on our blog http://bassettsbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

[Edited on 28/12/07 by bassett]

Simon

posted on 28/12/07 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
I have a bar and backstays, and think they're probably on the limit of not being much use.

Unfortunately, that's what happens when you try and figure out roll bar height without someone else watching what you're doing.

I'll have Grant (formerly of Luego) knock up a front bar at some point which will be the right height, and join the front/rear.

ATB

Simon

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
Yes safety is a massive concern but what does everyone think of the roll bar on our kit were trying to decide to leave it or adjust it. Not sure how to add pictures at the moment but its on our blog http://bassettsbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

[Edited on 28/12/07 by bassett]

Welded in by MNR?? I'd leave it as it is myself in that case.

chriscook

posted on 28/12/07 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
If it looks too tall then its probably about right!! From what I've heard/read then I would expect MNR to do it sensibly.

Sit in the chassis with an appropriate amount of spacing/padding to represent your seat - or use your seat if you have them. Stick a helmet on your head then get a long straight bit of wood and rest it on the roll bar and the front of the chassis. The top of your helmet should be below the bottom of the wood and have a reasonable gap to allow for movement.

What this is doing is using the wood to represent the ground in an upside-down situation - obviously you don't want your head to touch the ground.

TimC

posted on 28/12/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Again

I've read your concerns on the Blog - Even if MNR had installed a slightly higher bar than strictly necessary for someone of your height (which is a possibility), there is absolutely no way that I would change it. Also, remember that any height needs to take account of any helmet that you wear also. It looks fine to me.

This is my personal view only, but the first thing that puts me off a car (even some stunning builds that I've seen) is a roll-bar that is only cosmetic. It was one of the few things that I didn't like about my old MK.

I was stood in front of a Locost racer that ended up on it's cage at Castle Combe - it really made me think. I wanted to keep weight down hence mine is not a full cage and its asymetrical which would cause me issues with 'scrutes' at MSA events but I have no doubt that the structure would protect me if I rolled at a trackday. I have no intention of carrying a passenger. The same cannot be said for the 'mouse traps' that some fit.

Like I said, yours looks good! Don't do anything daft.

[Edited on 28/12/07 by TimC]

matt_claydon

posted on 28/12/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Rollover accidents are extremely rare (on the roads) compared to other types, even more so in sportscars with low COGs, so it's funny people bother with a roll-bar at all when you are so vulnerable in side/rear/severe front impacts.

That said, I intend to beef mine up over the winter as I feel vulnerable. I guess that's just human nature!

If you really want to make a seven safer the money would be better spent on some side-impact protection, moving the fuel tank and beefing up the rear 'crash structure'.

onzarob

posted on 28/12/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
This happened after the front disk cracked at 30mph

Like the Locost the front windscreen is aluminium, it broke in seconds the hood frame saved my head!!! It only held because the car wasn't moving forward when it went on the roof

Simon

posted on 29/12/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
BMW always used to go on about the strength of their windscreens on convertibles by balancing another car on the frame.

When one of the motoring progs on telly did a real life test and actually rolled a car, the screen went down without any hesitation.

Another thing to bear in mind is the give in harnesses. You will still move down (towards the road) in an inverted car.

ATB

Simon

bassett

posted on 29/12/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i can see the point completely but im also still thinking that we almost bougth a MK indy or Tiger cat and most have much more aesthetic than functional roll bars and we wouldnt have even considered a safe one. Tomorrow were going to measure it and go for the best compromise as the main use will be on the road without a 2 inch high helmet
JoelP

posted on 29/12/07 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
without a roll bar, you are guaranteed dead or paralysed if you hit the ground upside down. If that bar is just an inch or two too short, you still have a chance at least. Id do it properly myself, correct height and full cage.
TimC

posted on 30/12/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well, what did you decide?

iank

posted on 30/12/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber

Caber

All it takes is a bit of diesel on a roundabout and an inconveniently placed curb and any car can end up on it's roof.

I stopped last new year to help a saxo driver (sober) who managed to invert on a greasy bend that's had a couple of cars over the years. Fortunately all were wearing seatbelts and a bit of shock was the extent of the injuries - in a 7 without a rollbar I don't think I would have wanted to be first on the scene

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Beardy_John

posted on 30/12/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking about this a lot as i am still at the design/planning stage. I am thinking of going for a full cage, purely for the "what if" factor. But there seems to be as many cage designs as there are roll bars Are there cage plans availible anywhere?
TimC

posted on 1/1/08 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Bugger!

Sounds like a pain!

onzarob

posted on 1/1/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I think you done well out of MNR heres a pic from your site.

Look like 8 inchs above your heads there, If they are doing it for free thats great service, I'll put them up my prefered list

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.