Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MR2 mk1 conversion
Dougie T

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
MR2 mk1 conversion

Hi I was going to build a car based on the haynes roadster book but I am finding it increasingly difficult to get a sierra donor. so I am now swaying towards converting the mid engined mr2 which seems to be surprisingly cheap and plentyfull.
Has anyone got any thoughts on this i.e is it not practical as I have never heard of anyone doing this. If this fails has anyone got a cheap sierra lying around..........

zilspeed

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Main issue is the gearbox for use in the Haynes roadster, seeing as the MR2 is mid engined, although you can buy a bellhousing to mate it to a type 9.

To be honest, a lot of people don't actually bother with a complete donor car, but just pick up the necessary bits as required, so the lack of cheap sierras needn't be a huge problem.

Howlor

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
As above really just pick up the few bits that you need from the Sierra either off here or somewhere líke Ebay etc.

Engine, gearbox, steering column, front hubs, brakes, steering rack, and the rear diff, hubs n shafts.

Thats is basically the main bits you need.

speedyxjs

posted on 2/1/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Anything can be done. Look at mine. I have had to modify the chassis but im fitting a jag engine and running gear.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

russbost

posted on 2/1/08 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Are you thinking of building a mid-engined car or are you thinking of trying to make the MR2 bits fit a Locost chassis? If it's the latter you would be making massive headaches for yourself. HTH

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
adithorp

posted on 2/1/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine has done a V6 Camry engine convertion on a Mk1 MR2.

Goes well and looks original (he took it into the Toyota dealer and they thought it was!). Sounds sweet too.

adrian

sgraber

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have plans for building a tube frame middy out of a MKI MR2. visit my website or PM me for more info.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.