Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who will sell a kit without bodywork?
donut

posted on 3/1/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Who will sell a kit without bodywork?

After phoning around a few manufacturers i have been disappointed in the fact that no one except possibly MK are willing to sell the kit less the bodywork. I won't need bodywork for at least a year so i would rather spend my money on getting all the metalwork and engine sorted before worrying about the fiberglass.

Why doesn't anyone do a metalwork kit, it's so annoying!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 3/1/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I bought my MK chassis kit then bought the fibreglass about 18 months later. This was 4/5 years ago mind, but at the time most kit makers recomended this approach to save you having to store and potentially damage the fibreglass for ages.
Jubal

posted on 3/1/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
MNR offer a module kit in any bespoke combo. Unless the website is wrong...

I'm surprised by the rest of the manufacturers response. Seems the sensible thing to do. I doubt many are too precious about the danger of dodgy bodywork ending up on their cars because they have no control over the quality of finished product anyway.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/1/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
just buy the mk kit then

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 3/1/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi try westfield. They offer many packages.

Cheers Matt

donut

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
i phoned westfield and their packages are odd to say the least. I enquired about the MX5 donor package and it was £2500 odd and i said i didn't need the bodywork but i still had to pay for the bodywork. Then the next package was over 4k to finish the car!

They are not willing to supply what i wanted plus there parts are very expensive.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Humbug

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I thought your were going for a Fury/Phoenix, Andy? Have you tried those companies?

btw (having looked at the Rainbird Racing - Phoenix - website) would a Phoenix body easily fit on a normal Locost chassis?

speedyxjs

posted on 3/1/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
How about a haynes roadster? I think you can buy all the parts individually from somewhere (not sure where though, sorry)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Tiger Super Six

posted on 3/1/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger will sell just the chassis kit for the Avon and Cat.

Mark

Tiger Avon

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 3/1/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
fishers/bgh sell the fury without the bodywork as thats what ive done. if your go for a full bodywork car then it is preferable as the body can warp if it is left for a long time without being properly supported.
Ian D

posted on 3/1/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Try Tiger
donut

posted on 3/1/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Humbug: I'm just looking at all companies at the mo. Fury / phoenix is still on me list. I'm going to Fishers on Tuesday.

I wouldn't have a Tiger, just don't like them plus the one i sat in i couldn't fit my feet in the footwell

Andy

timf

posted on 3/1/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
I won't need bodywork for at least a year so i would rather spend my money on getting all the metalwork and engine sorted before worrying about the fiberglass.

they probably know its you and you'll sell it before you get the body work andy

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
- Sir Winston S. Churchill, 1952

Werner Van Loock

posted on 3/1/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
It may be that they interpred you saying no bodywork as if you're going to make your own and that's something they don't like.

So instead of asking for a kit without bodywork you might wan't to ask for a kit and that you can buy the bodywork later on.

But to be honest, it's best to buy it together with the car because some manufacturers make alterations to chassis/bodywork and the newer bodywork might not fit correctly then. Or for the worst if the manufacturer would cease trading then you really have a problem.

http://www.clubstylus.be

stevebubs

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.cyanacars.com/index.php?f=data_mx500&a=2
nick205

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
quote:
Originally posted by donut
I won't need bodywork for at least a year so i would rather spend my money on getting all the metalwork and engine sorted before worrying about the fiberglass.

they probably know its you and you'll sell it before you get the body work andy

LOL

donut

posted on 3/1/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Wow!

Cheers stevebubs

Andy

rusty nuts

posted on 3/1/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
You could try GTS , seems it takes best part of a year to get the bodywork? Light blue touch paper and retire.
donut

posted on 3/1/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.