Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where are all the donors ?
John22000

posted on 13/10/03 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Where are all the donors ?

Hi All,

First post to the forum so be gentle.....!!

Is it just me or is it getting more difficult to find 2.0 sierra donors ?

The MK kit is ordered and delivery is due in approximately 6 / 7 weeks, the problem now is finding a suitable donor locally. Sods law states that when you are not really looking i.e two months ago the country was overun with the things, now that I need to find one with a degree of urgency there are none to be found.

I have found a J reg 2.0 DOHC which I am now seriously beginning to consider, can anyone let me know if they have already fitted one of these motors to an indy and how much extra work was involved. Also does a 92 vintage 2.0 GLX come with a type 9 gearbox.

Does this engine uses different engine mounts to the pinto ? If I can use the pinto mounts that have been ordered with the kit from MK then I might just bite the bullet and go for this engine instead of the pinto. I don't mind being flexible with how it all goes together (as long as eventually it DOES all go together !) but I don't want to complicate things any further than they already are.

Or is this just prebuild nerves/excitement and I am just panicking uneccesarily ?

Yours in the hope of some salvation,

John.

ned

posted on 13/10/03 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
John,

First of all, welcome, secondly donors....

Well, mine came from ebay, quite a good place to look. findit.co.uk, local free-ads fridayad.co.uk, loot.co.uk, adtrader.co.uk etc are good places to look too.

http://www.crustworld.co.uk is a good site for sierra info.

Mine was a 2ltr pinto, d reg. think the 2ltr engined changed to the 8v dohc around 1989.

Just keep looking, something will come up!

Ned.

sorry, forgot to say, most people avoid the 8v dohc as it is taller, heavier and not so tunable as a pinto, though is slightly more powerful in standard form. i *believe* the block is different and engine mounts won't fit.

[Edited on 13/10/03 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 13/10/03 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John

Welcome

I can only echo what Ned has said, I am not far from you, and have just gone through the same excercise. I got my donor from loot.co.uk, and it is best to pay the extra to get first look at the ads.
I have also got an Indy on order so will be interesting to swap notes during our build. Good luck keep posting.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

andyps

posted on 16/10/03 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Try your local car auction - most of them have sales specifically for cars with very low reserve prices, and these often take place in the evening - Sierras can be anything from £20 upwards, just remember the buyers premium. With most auctions you can ring first to see if they have a particular model entered for the sale.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/10/03 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I would not worry unduly, they are like busses, a few will turn up all at once, if you do get a choice, try not to get a Ghia if you are going to use the loom.

Try putting the word out in the trade, they may take a P/X that they would normally refuse if they know they have a quick home for it - it means a deal for them and a donor for you

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

DaveFJ

posted on 17/10/03 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I took a drive around my local council estates until I found a poorly looking sierra in someones front garden - then just knocked on the door - £40 got me a running 2.0l Ghia with 80,000 on the clock and a FULL dealer service history!
bob

posted on 17/10/03 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've had two from local 2nd hand car dealers,they are pleased to get rid of them and i paid £20 each.

Just pop along and see the smile on there face,my local dealer normally pays people to take them so was more than happy to take my cash

MK Goldrush

posted on 17/10/03 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Another alternative: Try www.findit.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK Goldrush

posted on 17/10/03 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Or another alternative: www.freeads.co.uk

Mark H

posted on 17/10/03 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I can vouch for what Bob is saying - even Up North.

Costs them £4 per shell to get rid of stuff they don't want to break (ie stuff over 10 years old). Wouldn't take my shell off me for that reason!

What about police compounds? I'm sure they are full of unloved Sierras.

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

Mix

posted on 18/10/03 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find that a 92 DOHC GLX has an MT75 gearbox which, although being wider at the back will fit into a standard book or an MK chassis.

Mick

JohnN

posted on 18/10/03 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
My first post, closely followed by my first mistake.
I bought a running J reg Sierra GLX for £75. It has a 2 litre DOHC carb engine & MT75 Gearbox.

The Engine is way too tall for a sleek 7

Now looking for a Zetec... or maybe a bike engine....

ChrisW

posted on 18/10/03 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by protofj
I took a drive around my local council estates until I found a poorly looking sierra in someones front garden - then just knocked on the door - £40 got me a running 2.0l Ghia with 80,000 on the clock and a FULL dealer service history!

Best way of getting donor cars IMHO!

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.