Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: POR-15 : working time
gingerprince

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
POR-15 : working time

Can anyone divulge what the working time for POR-15 is? I seem to recall somewhere reading that once the tin is opened you have to pretty much use it all there and than, as the top sets and you can't get to the rest. Is this true, or is it not as bad as it sounds

Basically can I buy a tin and use it in a few sessions, or do I need to do everything I want in 1 go?

Cheers, Sy

DaveFJ

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
you need to decant a small amount which you can use in about 20 mins. you then need to resel the tine using a peice of clingfilm under the lid so it seperates again...

And do NOT get it on your skin - I really doesn't come off!!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Another method is to decant what you need, replace the lid FIRMLY (re-use those spring clips, if you've still got them) and store the tin upside-down. The surface of the paint that's in contact with air ends up at the bottom of the tin the next time you open it.

One warning: I ended up with a ring of paint on my shelf doing this trick, when I failed to replace the lid as tight as I should have!

iank

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ What he said (especially the bit about getting it on your hands/face - wear vinyl gloves!)

I had a big can which I decanted from and it lasted about 6mo before going off suddenly, guess I hadn't quite sealed it. Use glass jars to decant into, plastic cups melt

Frost sell packs with 6 small cans which while a little more expensive makes life a little easier.

Finally don't shake the can (easy to do with the little cans) it puts bubbles in the paint which become a pain.
The idiots guide (on the POR15 website) claims a single drop of sweat will ruin a whole can which at the price is worth knowing.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
tip i wastold it to turn the can upside own so the paint coats the lid to form a seal.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
tip i wastold it to turn the can upside own so the paint coats the lid to form a seal.

Wake up at the back! (see my last post...)

gingerprince

posted on 11/1/08 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, hopefully should stop me wasting a whole tin
Avoneer

posted on 11/1/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - as above.

it reacts with air.

I found that when sprayed on my chassis which was treated with their zinc stuff, if was a very shiny top notch finish and was better than powdercoat - very hard to scratch off with a screwdriver.

But I never got the same joy both in finish and durability when painting by hand.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 11/1/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have to thin it to spray it? If so, what with and how much?
iank

posted on 12/1/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Do you have to thin it to spray it? If so, what with and how much?

The thinners supplied by POR is naptha petroleum IIRC (I'll go and have a look in my sub-zero garage if anyone really needs to know).

I've not tried spraying so I don't know how much to thin, but I wouldn't use a gun I cared about it's very very hard to remove once it's gone off.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Avoneer

posted on 13/1/08 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
I can't remember - it was as per the tin and website.

Finish was like a mirror:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=42831

Was an arse to clean the gun though - needed lots of the thinners.

The toughness was like nothing I have ever seen - I was just never able to replicate it by painting by hand.

When I do anything else, I'll pay someone to spray it with por-15 as you need a booth as it makes a right mess.

Pat...

[Edited on 13/1/08 by Avoneer]

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Keith Tanner

posted on 26/1/08 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I threw one of my old tins of POR in the freezer after sealing it with clingwrap. A year or two later, it was still good. I'm not sure if the freezer had anything to do with it or if I just sealed it well, but it's got a good long shelf life after opening if you keep it out of fresh air.

www.slowcarfast.com

carpmart

posted on 29/1/08 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Where is the 'locost' place to buy POR-15?

Thanks

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Keith Tanner

posted on 29/1/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
The price doesn't really vary.

www.slowcarfast.com

smart51

posted on 29/1/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
How much POR 15 do I need to cover a chassis? (painted by hand and no floor fitted)? Its pricey stuff and I don't want to buy too much.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.