Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What tyres are you using?
Puk

posted on 13/1/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
What tyres are you using?

I could be on a hiding to nothing here, but I'm working up some "ideal" suspension geometry for a 7. I've got some useful back ground (a rather dusty engineering degree) but haven't actually gone through the process before. But if you can help me establish some target camber angles for the design of the suspension of a 7esqu I'd be grateful.

Can you answer any of the questions that follow:

How much does your 7 weigh?
What are their sizes?
What is the front back load split?
What lateral and linear G forces being generated?
Front and rear static camber?
Front and rear target camber at max corning load?
Front target camber at max brake?
Rear target camber at max accel?

If you've been through this and think that I'm barking up the wrong tree - then feel free to point out the error of my ways

Cheers,
Puk

[Edited on 13/1/08 by Puk]

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

Hellfire

posted on 14/1/08 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
As unhelpful as it may sound.

All se7ens do not weigh the same - from 397Kgs to 700Kgs. Depends on the engine, chassis etc etc
Loads of different tyres and sizes
Front back load split is kind of irrelevant for normal use.
Lateral and linear G force - this is locostbuilders forum - we dont want to afford equipment like that
Static Camber for normal road use is irrelevant
Target camber - for normal road use is irrelevant

I suggest if you want to know this information you would be better subscriving to a Caterham Forum where money is irrelevant and may give you the answers you are looking for.

I dont mean to P!SS on your chips, but most of the questions you have asked are not important and therefore possibly not even measured by the manufacturer never mind the assembler...

Kindest Regards - Steve

t.j.

posted on 14/1/08 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puk

How much does your 7 weigh? I'm aiming around 850 kgs
What tyres are you using? RADIAL ) I use same as on the sierra. (extra height needed) 125 mm bottom height in front 1350 mm in rear
What are their sizes? 195/65R14
What is the front back load split? I think 50/50 or 60/40 could be possible. (afterwards measured)
What lateral and linear G forces being generated? (I don't have a clue, so good luck calculating )
Front and rear static camber? I will place in first 0,5 - 1,5 negative front and rear
Front and rear target camber at max corning load? It's the gain you get by moving the arms. mine is around 1 degr/ inch movement strut.
Front target camber at max brake? total movement absorbers are around 70 mm so ...

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Puk

posted on 14/1/08 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
As unhelpful as it may sound.

All se7ens do not weigh the same - from 397Kgs to 700Kgs. Depends on the engine, chassis etc etc

Steve - sorry I wasn't clear enough. What I'm after is the data for your car only - which I appreciate you may not wish to give up if you are involved in competition. So if you have it, and are happy to divulge it, the weight of your particular car, the tyre type and sizes, etc. The last few questions I appreciate most folk won't have but if any one does it could help.

Incidentally Car & Driver tested a few Locosts (Locost Car & Driver) and saw 1.0g lateral.

I'm looking for the data to help design the geometry for my car getting that right won't cost any more in parts and labour than copying the book geometry - but it ought to work a bit better out of the box. I'll keep the process "open source" so that anyone that wishes can all benefit or contribute.

Cheers,
Puk

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 14/1/08 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puk

How much does your 7 weigh? I'm aiming around 850 kgs

Good grief!! 850kg!!! You must be trying quite hard to make it that heavy!!!! What engine are you using there??? I'm aiming for 450kg with a ZX10R myself

t.j.

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to Europe

One reason is that i need to pass the emission-regulations I use a Car Engine
Then i'm using 2 mm instead off 1.6mm.
IRS. using 3 mm tubes

Maybe it will be lighter, but with 850 kg i'm happy.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Tralfaz

posted on 14/1/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puk
I could be on a hiding to nothing here, but I'm working up some "ideal" suspension geometry for a 7. I've got some useful back ground (a rather dusty engineering degree) but haven't actually gone through the process before. But if you can help me establish some target camber angles for the design of the suspension of a 7esqu I'd be grateful.

Can you answer any of the questions that follow:

What are their sizes?

If you've been through this and think that I'm barking up the wrong tree - then feel free to point out the error of my ways

Cheers,
Puk

[Edited on 13/1/08 by Puk]

Hi,

I have followed your questions both here and on the USA Locost Board.

While my car isn't finished I will answer your questions to the best of my ability based on my work.

Weight. - Expect between 375-600kg,depending on your build details (Mine should be around 400 kg....Lotus 7 Series III sized chassis, BEC)

Tires. - I plan to use Avon ACB-10's. ( 15" ) as they are extremely light.

Front Rear Split. - Expect anywhere between 50/50, to 40/60 for a BEC. I expect to be close to the latter with a 1/2 tank of fuel.

Lateral G's. - Attaining 1.0 G shouldn't be too difficult to acheive, with a Max of 1.1 or so being a long term development target.

Braking G's - 1.0g +/-

Camber - I designed my suspension with Susprog3d. My static camber both front and rear is set at about (-2.0 deg). At max chassis roll (anticipated 1.8-2.0 degrees) tires see approximately (-.45) degrees of camber.

Considering the very light weight, and very low Center of Gravity I am not particularly concerned about pitch during accel and braking.

bimbleuk

posted on 17/1/08 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Some info for a CEC Striker

550kg
R888 or AO38
What are their sizes?
185x60x14
50/50
??
-1/2 front
+1/4 to 0 rear
-1 1/2 to 2 front
-1 1/2 rear
??
??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.