Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2007 ZX10R dyno results
PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/1/08 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
2007 ZX10R dyno results

Took my car for a dyno check at John Lambs at Clowne nr Worksop,top service received,he explained everything along the way,took time,and great care with the car,a real car enthusiast .I was there for around 3 hours,and only charged me £69,top man,his number is 01246 810476.
Anyway the results,standard zx10r,standard airbox,Martin keenan 4 into 1 exhaust,non race carbon can.
166bhp at the flywheel at 13065 rpm
120bhp at the wheels
77.9 ftIbs torque at 8825 rpm

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/1/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
That seems a big chunk of transmission loss there Paul, more than Id expect. For comparison I think my 2003 R1 was around 155-160bhp at the crank yet had 138bhp at the wheels, and other BECs Ive seen on the rollers seem to give a similar 15-25bhp losses on average.

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 14/1/08 by ChrisGamlin]

imp paul

posted on 14/1/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
yes he is very good up there not so far from me has a good name for him self thats not bad 120bhp nice engine zx10r cheers paul
Grahame L

posted on 14/1/08 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Glsd to see you have the car on the road Paul! Used to go to Lamby years ago, does he still wear a flat cap as he does the dyno run? Ha!

He knows his stuff though!!!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
That seems a big chunk of transmission loss there Paul, more than Id expect. For comparison I think my 2003 R1 was around 155-160bhp at the crank yet had 138bhp at the wheels, and other BECs Ive seen on the rollers seem to give a similar 15-25bhp losses on average.

cheers
Chris

Yes Chris it does look on paper a big transmission loss,in fact my 2001 929rry blade made around 146bhp at the flywheel and around 124bhp at the wheels,so around 22bhp transmission loss.and at that time on standard road 195 wide tyres,But John explained this if I have understud it correctly, I have 225 wide R888 on the rear,transmission loss is calculated after maximum power has been achived,on the run down the transmission resistance is calculated,my tyres were a little bit hot and sticking to the rollers,this could greatly effect this figure,so like you say around 25 bhp loss would be a more usual figure,this reflects on the cars on the road performance it feels a little bit quicker than my old blade

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yep the losses are usually calculated on the rundown so anything that increases resistance, such as low tyre pressures, sticky tyres etc will all add to that loss a bit.
It also depends how they do it because normally with an H pattern gearbox you'd knock it into neutral but obviously you can't easily do that in a sequential when you're in 5th/6th gear, so the operators often end up dipping the clutch which would add a little to it because the wheels would be driving both the input and output shafts whereas if it was in neutral you'd only be driving the output shaft with nothing in mesh.

bigrich

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Paul
glad your up and running without any problems now.
looks like a visit to the dyno will be in order.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Coose

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
This then means that the only true figure (depending on the dyno correction factor) is the BHP at the wheels, as if tyres are sticking to the rollers etc. it will inflate the crankshaft horsepower value.

Spin 'er off Well...

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
Nice one Paul
glad your up and running without any problems now.
looks like a visit to the dyno will be in order.

Thanks Rich,just need to get booked onto a few track days now make up for loss time

bigrich

posted on 14/1/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Paul although the figures appear low is it noticably quicker than your old blade car,as i know how quick that was haveing tried to chase it around at kitcar live.
I know mine is much quicker than my old carb blade car. It's also much torquier and smoother aswell

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/1/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
It would be good to get yours on the same rollers to compare figures,I am very please with the figures even though the bhp at the wheels figure appears low,its giving a good torque figure and flywheel bhp,and at the end of the day the most important figure is your lap time,it feels very powerfull to drive quick reving,and smooth,as you no Ive driven quite a few mk's on road and track,with many different engines,the zx10r feels most similar to K5 gsxr 1000 to drive,but I think power wise there not alot between all of the late model 1000cc superbike engines.
bigrich

posted on 14/1/08 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
i do want to dyno mine just for interest etc just did'nt know who to take it too really as BEC's are not what alot of places are used too. Also someone who cares about the cars they work on is always nice.
Looks like i will be visiting Clowne to get a power run and see if the maping needs a little work or if the guesstimates are close

Rich

DarrenW

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
120 at the wheels - comparable to my car then

However i think not. Ive driven Rich's car and it will leave mine standing + vat and postage. (yeah i know - its a weight thing - im on a health kick so dont rub it in....... Chris)

Toady1

posted on 15/1/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same prob on my RR sesh, using 205 A32r's which got very sticky! Im surprised that your car didnt make more than that tho?! is it using equal length headers on the manifold? Im guessing not? my 954cc blade made 130 at the wheels. A bit less torque tho, i think it was 68lbft.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 15/1/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toady1
I had the same prob on my RR sesh, using 205 A32r's which got very sticky! Im surprised that your car didnt make more than that tho?! is it using equal length headers on the manifold? Im guessing not? my 954cc blade made 130 at the wheels. A bit less torque tho, i think it was 68lbft.

You guess right Liam,I am not using equal lenght headers,and its a 4 into 1 system,not 4 into 2 into 1 as on the bike,so this will be loosing around 8 to 10 bhp,thats why it would be good to get big riches car on the same rollers as a comparable,I dont have a lot of experience in having cars on the dyno could the torque figure be a better way of comparing results?????,the 954 engine you have I think is one of the most under estimated superbike engines,like the old 929 I had,don't show a big increase in power over previous fireblade engines on the dyno,but feel a lot quicker to drive.
I do think though the only way to compare is on a dyno shoot out day,when all cars are tested on the same day on the same rollers,the results I am sure would be interesting,I might see if I can get a bit of interest,and if so arrange a day at John Lambs in the summer,its only just of the M1 junction 31,so pretty central,cheers Paul

MB CUSTOMS

posted on 15/1/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
If that purple line on the dyno sheet is your fuel it is going lean around 6000 rpm which is some of your power loss,with a power commander correctly set up,you should be able to get the a/f to 12.5 from 4000 rpm to red line.

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad gaz
Builder

Posts 190
Registered 20/9/07
Location doncaster

Photo Archive Go!
Building: indy blade built indy spec r ,another indy r busa

posted on 15/1/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Im up for a rolling road shoot PAUL maybe we can get chris mason to bring his scales .then we can put all the myths to bed Rescued attachment gulf indy 013.jpg
Rescued attachment gulf indy 013.jpg

bigrich

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea guys a proper LCB dyno shoot out and weigh in session. as you say will put some myths to bed

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.