Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW diesel TD LoCost 7
Philippe

posted on 16/1/08 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
VW diesel TD LoCost 7

Hello,

I am one of the (rare?) builders who chose turbo diesel for my LoCost. My engine is a VW 1.9 L Turbo Garrett T3, and modified injection pump, I am running an intercooler and I have built an inboard exhaust system with mostly 3" pipes, cat and muffler. The car has not been driven yet. My expectation is that I will get about 110 bhp and 140 lbs/foot out of this mill.

If someone else is playing with a turbo diesel I would love to trade tips and photos. My hope is to figure a way to get 200 bhp out of this beast.

Philippe.

[Edited on 17/1/08 by Philippe] Rescued attachment lotusdec2007pics 170.jpg
Rescued attachment lotusdec2007pics 170.jpg

donut

posted on 16/1/08 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Very interesting, what gearbox have you used?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 16/1/08 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
NOOOOO DEISEL
Sorry looks like a cool project.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/1/08 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
looks very compact, quite a big exhaust as well, cool

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 16/1/08 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
wasn't there a PPC magazine westfield Oil burner project ?

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

bimbleuk

posted on 16/1/08 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Not in a locost but my ancient 90BHP/130 lbs ft TDi Audi/VW engine chipped very easily to 110BHP/160 lbs ft with a simple fuel chip and that wasn't anywhere near its max settigs. Have you looked at propane injection which when used in small amounts helps to burn the diesel more completely. Increases mpg, reduces emmisions and of course creats more BHP/torque. Then of course you want a bigger turbo as you may not necessarily need max torque from 1800RPM in a kit car!
ditchlewis

posted on 16/1/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
yes PPC are running a series of articles using the exact same engine. they are calling theirs a wiesel.

you need a bigger turbo and chip mods, i think that the racers well over 200bhp from their engines

keep posting as want to see how this one drives

ditch

MikeRJ

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
yes PPC are running a series of articles using the exact same engine. they are calling theirs a wiesel.

The Wiesel name originaly came from a car that Westfield built quite some time ago with a Ford 1.8TD engine (about the most agricultural unit they could have used).

2b_pablo

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
robinhood made a derv 7 afaik. dont know any other details tho.

seems a bit wrong imo

NigeEss

posted on 16/1/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I like the idea, but.........

It won't match the sound of a BEC and the weight has to be the
downside.

ditchlewis

posted on 16/1/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall the old wiesel had 105BHP and a 0 to 60 time of 6.5 seconds.

old technology and an old sierra engine. Ohh i'm using and even older ford designed engine in mine so i'd better watch what i call old

ditch

Hammerhead

posted on 16/1/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
My new daily drive is diseasal V10 TDi VW Touareg It's pretty quick for 2 1/2 tonnes. Heavy engine though.

AlphaX

posted on 16/1/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
We've been working on it as well. How did you mate it to the gearbox and how are you going to run it?
Cheers

K999NNY

posted on 16/1/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Companies like Revo will remap your car which gives a pretty impressive increase in BHP.
Simon

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon it's a good idea

Diesels, so long as the mechanical noise is kept down, can sound quite sweet with a noisy pipe.

If I were to do it, I go for a Viento sized car and chuck in a bmw 330 lump. 286bhp and an auto box. Performance and economy!

ATB

Simon

K999NNY

posted on 17/1/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I reckon it's a good idea

Diesels, so long as the mechanical noise is kept down, can sound quite sweet with a noisy pipe.

If I were to do it, I go for a Viento sized car and chuck in a bmw 330 lump. 286bhp and an auto box. Performance and economy!

ATB

Simon

Id agree minus the auto box. Drive a 530d auto and work and they take a lot of control out your hands. Cant beat the manual though.

Philippe

posted on 17/1/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Very interesting, what gearbox have you used?

Hi Andy,
I used a 5 speed manual from a 1991 Suzuki Samurai which I owned. The adapter kit came from the US firm ACME.

Philippe

posted on 17/1/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
wasn't there a PPC magazine westfield Oil burner project ?

Regards

Agriv8

Yes I have read a piece about Westfield building a Ford diesel based LoCost for an Italian customer.
Philippe

Philippe

posted on 17/1/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
Not in a locost but my ancient 90BHP/130 lbs ft TDi Audi/VW engine chipped very easily to 110BHP/160 lbs ft with a simple fuel chip and that wasn't anywhere near its max settigs. Have you looked at propane injection which when used in small amounts helps to burn the diesel more completely. Increases mpg, reduces emmisions and of course creats more BHP/torque. Then of course you want a bigger turbo as you may not necessarily need max torque from 1800RPM in a kit car!

I have heard from IDI-TDI VW forumers that the 1.9 L VW diesel TD (no chips, no bells and no whissles) can be doctored into producing 200 bhp and the same number in torque. To me diesel looks promising in sports cars, witness the Audi R10 (V12) LeMans and the Peugeot V12 in the same power bracket (800 foot/lbs 900 bhp). Experimenting with modern diesels is challenging for us because the idea that they can power sports cars is rather new. Propane injection is still (I take) at the experimental stage and potentially hazardous.

Philippe.

[Edited on 17/1/08 by Philippe]

iank

posted on 17/1/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philippe

... The adapter kit came from the US firm ACME.

Cue jokes about Wile E. Coyote

Interesting project, the large torque you'll get when getting to 200bhp may be you're biggest problem - spinning the wheels in 5th is only fun for a short time.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Philippe

posted on 17/1/08 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
My new daily drive is diseasal V10 TDi VW Touareg It's pretty quick for 2 1/2 tonnes. Heavy engine though.

I will buy your V10 engine one day!!!!!
Philippe

Philippe

posted on 17/1/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
I like the idea, but.........

It won't match the sound of a BEC and the weight has to be the
downside.

Yes for the sound. I am not too found of the diesel sound myself. Yes with a 3" exhaust line I may get a rather virile roar...we will see.

The weight? VW engine 285 lbs+ Samurai Tranny 50 lbs. Compares favorably with common (non BEC)gasers.

Philippe

Philippe

posted on 17/1/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaX
We've been working on it as well. How did you mate it to the gearbox and how are you going to run it?
Cheers

Glad to hear that you are working on the same subject. I bolted my VW diesel 1.9 TD to a 5 speed samurai transmission via a kit made by the US firm ACME (about $300). My rear axle is a 7.5 Ford (live) I changed the crown-pinion gear from 4.25-1 to 3.08 to 1. My VW engine is a AAZ entirely remanufactured, with a modified Injection pump and a larger turbo (T3 Garrett). My diesel move was motivated by a curiosity towards biodiesel. I plan to run this engine on B100.
Keep us posted of your work on diesels.
Philippe.

[Edited on 17/1/08 by Philippe]

akumabito

posted on 17/1/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Should be good for touring!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.