Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Trader status justification
MkIndy7

posted on 19/1/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Trader status justification

I suppose you could say I am writing this with a vested interest, but both for myself and probably alot on the forum.

What justifies a "Trader" status?

We stand to loose some very knowlegeable people over small technicalities with regards to links to their own private websites which may or may not happen to be selling things but contain some very useful information to all users.

I'm writing with regards to "daxtojeiro" who is now leaving the forum as he has been branded a "trader" when he has never outwardly offered to sell anybody anything, only impartial advice and links to information that just happened to be on his site.

Unlike others who have trader status and make posts up about nothing in
inappropriate sections to advertise their products and i'm sure lots know who i'm implying there!.

I think either a little link to their site should be allowed when they make such useful knowlegable contributions or there should be a sliding scale for the trader fee's, from a small link upto people who post little more than pure adverts for their products paying more.

What does anybody else think to the matter? and whats the official stance?

graememk

posted on 19/1/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had to take this up with fozzie the other week, after quite a few tellings off I was branded a trader for advertising my own computer web site, and even though I have been selling at trade with no profit for myself it wasn’t allowed.

Its a shame to the site users to loose this resource from me but a few know what I do and I will still offer trade to site users.

I’ve just taken it that it’s the rules of the site and that’s it, there still loads of useful stuff on the site with out my link being on it.

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/1/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO we stand to lose one of THE most knowledgeable guys on Megasquirt. I also have not seen any references from him offering to sell his site or information and it does seem unreasonable.
Of course we could all log on to his site and get the relevent information it would be quite easy to do so.
BUT this is a guy who has appeared from nowhere to offer advice on this site and AFAIK has not asked for any information for himself yet.
I say we need to keep him onside as he is and will be a valuable source of free information to all MS users.
Untill the time he may or does try to sell his wares them surely it is not a problem.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

stevec

posted on 19/1/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a quick look through a few of daxtojeiro's posts and it certainly appears that the guy has passed on very useful info to forum members without trying to flog stuff, It would be a great shame to loose people like this.
But people who have paid to have trader status will feel a little miffed I think.
Steve.

[Edited on 19/1/08 by stevec]

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/1/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

But people who have paid to have trader status will feel a little miffed I think.

Why? they should be making money from yhier status and AFAIK Daxtojiero has not offered services at a fee to any members (unless it's by U2U) so he is not actively trying to make money from the site.

graememk

posted on 19/1/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
personaly i think it should be over looked and left, trader status to me is MMr Mac1 MK GTS etc etc etc, not my website or cheap megasquirt bits etc etc but the rules are there..

stevec

posted on 19/1/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
quote:

Why? they should be making money from yhier status and AFAIK Daxtojiero has not offered services at a fee to any members (unless it's by U2U) so he is not actively trying to make money from the site.

You misunderstand me, I am on his side.
It still dosn't stop people getting miffed.
Steve.

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/1/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
No No I understood you.
Just putting the other side of the argument mate.

stevec

posted on 19/1/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
No No I understood you.
Just putting the other side of the argument mate.

I'll get my coat.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 19/1/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have looked at daxtojeiro's posts and they look like they just from someone who is enthusiastic about what they do and willing to help others. In our garage we charge money to fix cars because we are traders but when we are at the stock cars or the autograss we offer advice and set up cars free because its our hobby and are enthusiastic about it. I see that he has a link to his site (advertising) but i am advertising www.scottishmini.co.uk with no problems although it is a forum where traders help out for free.

Ps Get your M.O.T done at Diesel Jocks M.O.T Centre.

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/1/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ps Get your M.O.T done at Diesel Jocks M.O.T Centre.

Burgoyne????

ChrisW

posted on 19/1/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Right guys, this is how it works.

If you are in the business of selling a commercial service that is likely to be of interest to members of the site, and you are regularly mentioning this fact, or using your signature to promote yourself, you are a Trader. If I (or Fozzie) spots you, your status will be updated to reflect this. In DaxTojero's case, his sig contains a link to his webstie. The first line of this site...

'We are dedicated to sales of fully assembled, tested and warranted MegaSquirt ECU's '

Sound like a business to me, which means he is gaining exposure to his business and possibly making sales by taking advantage of my generosity of providing this site for free.

Trader status does nothing to prevent posting, except in the for sale area of the site. They can still use the site the same as everyone else, but readers are reminded that this person has not paid for trader status, and I would like to think there is some loyalty to the site that may make them think twice should the trader try to advertise a commercial service either directly or indirectly. Most traders are good with this and respect the rules, but some do not, and I rely on you all to let myself or Fozzie know if someone is trying this on.

Note that any Trader may request that their status be removed. They will need to remove any advertising they have placed on the site, and this is at my discretion as to whether they have already gained sufficient exposure and just seek to sit back and wait for enquiries to come in.

The next step up is to become a registered trader, and this involves paying a small contribution towards the cost of running the site. If someone was making money out of something you put time and money into each month and gave away free, you'd expect them to help out now and then, wouldn't you? It's not expensive compared to other forms of Internet advertising, mainly because I run this as a hobby and I'm not greedy. The registered trader gets free reign to advertise his/her products to a very targeted audience, and feedback I have recieved tells me that it is a very effective and extremely cost effective way of advertising.

So, in short:

Anyone who sells on a commercial basis either directly or indirectly through this site is a Trader. They are more than welcome to post, read and enjoy the forum like everyone else, but if they want to directly market using this site, they must pay to register.

Cheers, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 19/1/08 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Burgoyne????

No. Do you think the Burgoynes would be on here. They never do anything locost
You would have seen our car with Diesel Jocks MOT centre on it a few years ago at Crimond. Hot Saloon 24

NeilP

posted on 19/1/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
ChrisW

When is your Viento going to be on the road?

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

ChrisW

posted on 19/1/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well, Conrod has always said it won't be done before 2010. I'm determined to prove him wrong!!

If I spend as much money and time on the car as I do on this site I'd be long finished by now!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 19/1/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Chris W. Good points. Its the law of internet forums that things like this have to be talked about
I will contribute shortly as its on my list of things to do this year. One question: Would you take a ford mondeo instead of money?

Ps Thanks for this site. It certainly beats real life.
Cheers
Ronnie

ChrisW

posted on 19/1/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'd accept a Mondeo 2.0 (or just the engine!) as payment for a trader status, yes!

Chris

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 19/1/08 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I'd accept a Mondeo 2.0 (or just the engine!) as payment for a trader status, yes!

Chris

Brilliant. Its a 2.0 4x4 ghia with M.O.T (Diesel Jocks M.O.T Centre) till october. When do you want to come and pick it up?
Cheers
Ronnie

daxtojeiro

posted on 19/1/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...... If someone was making money out of something you put time and money into each month and gave away free, you'd expect them to help out now and then, wouldn't you.....

I have spent years developing the MS code, software, help files, manuals, running the forum and answering peoples questions all for free! I dont ask anyone for money for it, in fact its not something I will ever ask for.
I make money from building MS's for people, but thats not a great deal and it is for work that I put into building that ECU not all the work Ive ever done. I'd be a millionaire if I was payed an hourly rate for all the work thats gone into MS over the past few years!!

Anyhow, what I am upset about is the way it was done, I had no idea I had to pay money to post on here if I wanted an advert of my site as my banner. You didnt have the decency to tell me about it, you have not even replied to my emails when I questioned it. I can't even see how I can pay for it, I dont see a link!

So if I do pay does that mean I should ask people to pay for me to answer their questions so I can make the money back? Or if you ask me a question may be you should pay for it?

Im a member of several forums and non of them I have to pay for and they are all run in someones spare time.

This is a can of worms, I only came here to help, your members have been great, they are a nice bunch of peope.

Its your ball, you play with it your way,
Phil

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/1/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Paradox?
Does this mean that as ChrisW advertises NetrinoUK and also sells advertising space on the forum, he should also be a registered trader?

I'll get my coat.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/1/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Valid points from ChrisW I suppose but I still say it's be a pity to lose this member.

[Edited on 19/1/08 by omega 24 v6]

MkIndy7

posted on 19/1/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Right guys, this is how it works.

If you are in the business of selling a commercial service that is likely to be of interest to members of the site, and you are regularly mentioning this fact, or using your signature to promote yourself, you are a Trader. If I (or Fozzie) spots you, your status will be updated to reflect this. In DaxTojero's case, his sig contains a link to his webstie. The first line of this site...

'We are dedicated to sales of fully assembled, tested and warranted MegaSquirt ECU's '

Sound like a business to me, which means he is gaining exposure to his business and possibly making sales by taking advantage of my generosity of providing this site for free.

The next step up is to become a registered trader, and this involves paying a small contribution towards the cost of running the site. If someone was making money out of something you put time and money into each month and gave away free, you'd expect them to help out now and then, wouldn't you? It's not expensive compared to other forms of Internet advertising, mainly because I run this as a hobby and I'm not greedy. The registered trader gets free reign to advertise his/her products to a very targeted audience, and feedback I have recieved tells me that it is a very effective and extremely cost effective way of advertising.

So, in short:

Anyone who sells on a commercial basis either directly or indirectly through this site is a Trader. They are more than welcome to post, read and enjoy the forum like everyone else, but if they want to directly market using this site, they must pay to register.

Cheers, Chris

So if somebody asks where to get something from and a link is posted up where to obtain it from, aren't they benefitting and gaining exposure from this forum?

Is there no chance of some kind of comprimise, if the link is made smaller would it be allowed?

Could there be a sliding scale as to how big the advert is and in what context it is used? i.e if the product isin't pushed and advertised.

He's only really used a small link to a website and isin't actively advertising the product itself.
There's no "Buy your megasquirts from here" or "I'll sell you one for xxx" etc.

It doesn't sound like the case has been handled very well from an admin point of view, either through crossed wires or whatever, this is not a direct critisism of ChrisW as I haven't the slightest clue how it all operates and how much time it must take up, bus I can only echo other peoples comments that this would be a sad loss the the forum and I hope a comprimise can be found.

Besides, shouldn't Hellfire be a trader for all the bike engines they've been pushing

Fozzie

posted on 19/1/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It doesn't sound like the case has been handled very well from an admin point of view, either through crossed wires or whatever, this is not a direct critisism of ChrisW as I haven't the slightest clue how it all operates and how much time it must take up, bus I can only echo other peoples comments that this would be a sad loss the the forum and I hope a comprimise can be found.

I deal with issues such as Daxtojieros differently, but still as per ChrisW's guidelines (to me)........

ChrisW was online at that particular time and he IS The Boss............he has explained why as above.

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

dave1888

posted on 19/1/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Surely its not much to ask for, i dont know how much it costs to become a trader but it cant be 100's of pounds or iam i wide of the mark.
stevec

posted on 19/1/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps we should have a Boffin status with a traders discount
I'll get both of my coats.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.