Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike engine angle
Rogue Se7ens

posted on 19/1/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
bike engine angle

My question has to do with the vertical angle of a bike engine when mounted in the car. I tried to search out an answer but haven't found anything yet so I'm hoping for some input.

I have a couple project that I am working on that will use a bike engine, and I am wondering if the engine will be affected adversely by tilting it back on the axis of the output shaft, (making the direction of the cylinder bore more vertical)? I've been working the design around the R1 engine and will maintain the wet sump. If the engine will be fine tilted back then for future reference, can it be tilted the other direction so the bores are moved more toward the horizontal plane making a lower profile?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 19/1/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
You need to keep the angle of the engine as similar to the bike as possible (ie, as it was designed).

Make the sump pan roughly level with the ground, otherwise you'll have oil surge/starvation issues and a short lived engine.

Compared with a car engine and gearbox, it's still a very light and compact unit.

[Edited on 19/1/08 by StevieB]

Rogue Se7ens

posted on 19/1/08 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
That was my main concern, oil starvation. One application I am designing for is a front wheel drive Mini, and I'm trying to keep it as compact as possible.

[Edited on 19/1/08 by Rogue Se7ens]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 19/1/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
It may be possible, but you can certainly throw an R1 in the back of a mini without problems
Rogue Se7ens

posted on 19/1/08 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
That will come later, but first I plan to market the car as a composite bodied FWD Mini. Rescued attachment mini frame assy.jpg
Rescued attachment mini frame assy.jpg

Chippy

posted on 20/1/08 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
You can mount any engine at a different angle to that which the makers set it at. But you need to redesign the sump to match the new angle, together with the pick up pipe, and any baffles. Easy enough if the sump is tin, but not so easy if its alloy. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

lsdweb

posted on 20/1/08 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
Rogue Se7ens

I can't quite tell from you drawing but, if that's an R1 engine, you'll have to find some way of reversing the drive or you'll need a very good rear view mirror as it will have 6 reverse and one forward gear!

;-)

Wyn

Rogue Se7ens

posted on 20/1/08 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'm laying it out both ways 'forward' and 'backward'. I like the way pro-motive has carried out their kit http://www.pro-motive.co.uk/4.html and it seems to have some advantages, except of course you have to go through a gear set to reverse the direction of rotation.

www.roguese7ens.com

Bob C

posted on 20/1/08 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
"it will have 6 reverse and one forward gear! "

except it won't have the forward gear.... ;^)

ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/1/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a on older (98-03) R1 as they're about the narrowest, most upright bike engine available thats suitable for a BEC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.