Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving position ergonomics
Wolf HR

posted on 25/1/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Driving position ergonomics

I'm currently in planning phase of my car, and am new to the forum. I'm going a bit 'radical' with the car and wouldn't like to have too much of the driver sticking out of it. I've come up with this position (I hope there will be no need for detachable 12" steering wheel)- which surprisingly doesn't feel uncomfortable sittong on the floor with back supported by inclined wooden plank... My intention is to use a GRP bucket seat and 5 or 6 point harness to hold the driver in place (everything above shoulders will be sticking out of the car), which would hopefully help things a bit.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome. TIA

P.S. this is indeed a mannequin of rougly my build and size (I've set it to be my height and weight)

[Edited on 25/1/08 by Wolf HR]

tegwin

posted on 25/1/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I cant help you, but the answers should be interesting...

What program have you used for the manequin?

Wolf HR

posted on 25/1/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I used trial version of ManneQuinPRO. At the bottom of the page is the link to download 30-day free trial version. HTH

http://www.nexgenergo.com/ergonomics/mqpro.html

Phil.J

posted on 25/1/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, just make sure that you have enough ankle/ leg movement to operate the pedals confortably, particularly holding the clutch down. Another consideration is pulling on the handbrake, especially if is to be on top of the tunnel.
nitram38

posted on 25/1/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
You need to make sure that your knees are bent and then supported, otherwise your legs will quickly get tired.
Wolf HR

posted on 25/1/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, you're very helpful. Handbrake- now there's something I'd never have thought about (but I'll probably stick it on the passenger side of the tunnel). There will be footrests next to pedals.

In case anybody's wondering, poor driver will hopefully be squeezed into something like this:

What might prove to be the problem is that only things adjustable in this setup would be pedal box location and steering wheel.

[Edited on 25/1/08 by Wolf HR]

Confused but excited.

posted on 25/1/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I don't like the idea of being covered in wire mesh.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

hampshe

posted on 25/1/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
You will need to support you legs further forward(near to u/side of knee, as in a single seater, most racing cars have fire extinguisher under there which helps.
I am looking at a similar seating position but cannot find f/glass seats with that much rake at the moment

Ivan

posted on 25/1/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think your knees need to be bent a bit more and the thighs well supported and also the arms need to be bent a bit more - it's best if you can comfortably, without stretching or moving your shoulders forward, rest your wrists on top of the steering wheel.

A semi-reclining position puts quite a lot of pressure on the base of the spine and is tiring on even a short drive if your knees and thighs arent well supported.

Wolf HR

posted on 26/1/08 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
Since we're discussing the subject, I just remembered I have this on my HDD- clipped from a factory drawing of Porsche 917... Just in case somebody finds it useful in any way.

Peteff

posted on 26/1/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have a shoulder problem and had to sit my seat up more upright and bring the wheel nearer as my right hand was going numb when I was sitting like your drawing. You'll probably find it better to modify your seating after you drive the car.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

iank

posted on 26/1/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hampshe
You will need to support you legs further forward(near to u/side of knee, as in a single seater, most racing cars have fire extinguisher under there which helps.
I am looking at a similar seating position but cannot find f/glass seats with that much rake at the moment

Have a look at the Tillet T250 kart seat (or if you're feeling flush the B4 car seat). They recline a lot more that the common grp choices.

http://www.tillett.co.uk/html/main.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jeffw

posted on 12/2/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Tillett B3.5 in my Phoenix. They would give you a similair rake to the what your after. I drove to the Ring and back with them without a problem (longest stint was 250 miles).
Marcus

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would be highly dubious about the seating position. In an accident, you will be propelled forwards and down - putting the crotch straps of the harnesses under a lot of strain - probably doing irreperable damage to your wedding tackle!!
I think you need to be more upright, possibly lowering the seat into a recess in the floorpan.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MustangSix

posted on 13/2/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Even with your body reclining, your head will be more vertical, especially if you are wearing a restraint collar.

kikiturbo

posted on 15/2/08 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
wolf,

from what I found out about my seating position for my single seater, after I built the wooden mockup, is that your position has the wheel too far away, and the legs are too flat..

In fact I had a seat in the red bull F1 car, and they have the steering much closer to waht you want to do, and the legs are more bent..

kikiturbo

posted on 15/2/08 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
in fact, here is my approximate seating position, the hands will be a bit higher up as the steering wheel shaft is lined up with the top tube..

Tralfaz

posted on 15/2/08 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kikiturbo
in fact, here is my approximate seating position, the hands will be a bit higher up as the steering wheel shaft is lined up with the top tube..

What is wrong with your drivers eyes?? Was he perhaps bit by this bloke?

kikiturbo

posted on 15/2/08 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
it is not the eyes that bother me, but the square shoulders cut trough most harneses..
ettore bugatti

posted on 15/4/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bump

Here are some Bosch templates:
http://www.ergonomiesite.be/antropometrie/sjablonen/BOSCH-groteman1m87.pdf
http://www.ergonomiesite.be/antropometrie/sjablonen/BOSCH-grotevrouw1m76.pdf
http://www.ergonomiesite.be/antropometrie/sjablonen/BOSCH-kleineman1m66.pdf

Should be very usefull
http://www.ergonomiesite.be/antropometrie/sjablonen/BOSCH-kleinevrouw1m54.pdf

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.