Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Holophonic sound - absolutely incredible
scoobyis2cool

posted on 26/1/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Holophonic sound - absolutely incredible

I came across this yesterday and must have listened to it 10 times since.

It's a sound recording that uses a fairly new techology called holophonics. What it basically does is simulate the way the human ear can determine the location of a sound in 3D space, so it sounds like the people are actually in the room around you rather than just in your ears.

I can't pretend I fully understand it but it sounds incredibly real. Two things:

1) You have to listen to it through headphones, the effect doesn't work otherwise.

2) It sounds best when you turn it up pretty loud (and no, this isn't one of those tricks that will suddenly play a loud scream, I promise - if you don't believe me listen to it with the volume down first).

Anyway enough yapping, download the clip and prepare for your virtual haircut!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
meany

posted on 26/1/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
my work mate has this on his phone.

it is really weird.

carpmart

posted on 26/1/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
that really is fooking amazing!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

joneh

posted on 26/1/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
That is great. I keep wanting to look over where the sound is coming from.

Hellfire

posted on 26/1/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Weird I moved my head on a few occasions when the scissors and electric clippers got a bit too close for comfort and when he clicked his fingers I turned round to look.

Phil

[Edited on 26-1-08 by Hellfire]

nitram38

posted on 26/1/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Where have you Guys been the last 30 years?
Try "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd or "The Final Cut" albums.

Looks like another generation who think they invented the wheel!

zilspeed

posted on 26/1/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I was able to pick up the stereo pair in the centre and the ambient micing panned hard left and hard right.

Being honest though, I couldn't detect any sense of the sound steering front to back.

In all honesty, it sounded more like an excercise in hard panning and ambient micing. I know, that's what I said above, but there you go.

Still nicely done though.

This clip I can hear front to back and up / down positioning though. It's some matches being lit and then someone shaking a matchbox while it moves around your head.

Holophonics Clip

[Edited on 26/1/08 by zilspeed]

Peteff

posted on 26/1/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
My computer has a sound test of a helicopter flying round your head which does the same effect as this.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

speedyxjs

posted on 26/1/08 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cool i never thought that would work

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

onzarob

posted on 26/1/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Where have you Guys been the last 30 years?
Try "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd or "The Final Cut" albums.

Looks like another generation who think they invented the wheel!

Good call

scoobyis2cool

posted on 26/1/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah The Final Cut was recorded using this, and a couple of other albums, but I think the effect is much more noticable in this.

And when I said 'new' I didn't mean brand new, just that it's still pretty uncommon.

The matches clip is really good for up and down movement, but I prefer the barber shop one overall because it's a bit more interesting!

I also found a virtual test drive on YouTube.

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 26/1/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
How does it work then.....?
If your head doesn't move how the hell can you tell whether its from behind or in front of you??

I know it works!!! Just not sure how

scoobyis2cool

posted on 26/1/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well I don't fully understand it but it's based on the idea that hearing is holographic in nature. The guy who invented holophonic sound claims that our ears actually emit sound, and when this hits other sound waves they create interference patterns, which we can then use to determine the exact position the sound is coming from. It works in much the same way as echolocation.

I don't know how they create sound recordings using this knowledge but it certainly works!

Pete

BenB

posted on 26/1/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ears definately do emit sounds...

There's a small muscle attached to the ear drum. It was originally believed that it was used merely to adjust the volume of sound being heard (but adjusting the tension on the ear drum) but (and this is medical fact not BS) some people's sub-vocal thoughts (or they're supposed to be) can be heard very quietly coming out of their ears!!!
It's rare but it's not unheard of.
Which does give some credence to the idea that the ear can be a sound emitter. Still can't work out the fore / aft detection though!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/1/08 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
barbershop one is so amazing, I've never heard something so real

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/1/08 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I know, I love the barbershop one too. I've actually just downloaded a 700mb pack of files with hundreds of holophonic sound clips in so I'm going to see if there are any other good ones about.

Ben, that's spooky that our ears transmit our thoughts. I've actually been reading a lot of books about cutting edge science lately and some of the discoveries being made completely turn all your preconceptions on their head!

Pete

zetec

posted on 28/1/08 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Can I get this downloaded to my Ipod?

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/1/08 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
Can I get this downloaded to my Ipod?

I haven't got an iPod so I don't know how the software works but it's just a standard mp3 file so can you just put that on? Otherwise I'm sure you can convert it to whatever format you need.

Pete

02GF74

posted on 29/1/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Ears definately do emit sounds...

That is incorrect. I was doing research into Tinnitus a long while back and it is possible to get the ear to emit a sound, done by transitting a very narrow sound pulse i.e. a click - it correctponds to the natural frequency of the ear and is often the frequency that the Tinnitus suffer "hears".

MikeRJ

posted on 29/1/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK the spacial information is achieved by the shape of the ear and the distance between your ears. The outer part of the ear is shaped the way it is to provide differing delays and frequency response according to the direction of the incident sound, the brain processes this to to work out the apparent location of the sound.
KevDo

posted on 29/1/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
yup heard this clip before but as people have said Pink Floyd / Roger waters have been using this sort of recording before.. Q sound most noticeably.

Amused to Death - Roger Waters ... is a great album, along with the rest of his solo work.

And you don't need headphones for it, just a decently set up 2 channel stereo hi-fi..

Surround sound is over-rated!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 29/1/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
It works much better with headphones because the recordings are made using microphones positioned where your ears are, so it's best to play it back with speakers in the same place.

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.