Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are Air horns legal?
ditchlewis

posted on 28/1/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Are Air horns legal?

I was out on saturday afternoon, and whilst crusin i was nearly totalled.

i was driving along and saw an oncoming car indicating to turn right into a junction. in the junction were 2 cars one wanting the turn right the other left.

all of a sudden the on comming turned across me, no problem, but the car in the junction pulled out across me not only that the other car in the junction started to move

my lights were on and i flicked them to main beam and hit the horn, but only a puny parp parp came out

i managed a slarlom route between them and i was forced to just miss another on comming car

after changing my pants and thinking about it i would like to fit louder horn so next time i will be heard as well as seen. so are Air horns legal.

ditch

RickRick

posted on 28/1/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
my cars passed it mot for the last 3 years with an airhorn.
graememk

posted on 28/1/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
google or you tube "hornblasters"....

RazMan

posted on 28/1/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Nautilus air horn on my car. It is actually a tiny compressor and air horn combined - very compact ..... and bloody loud!

Do a search on eBay and you will probably find them

[Edited on 28-1-08 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyGT

posted on 28/1/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes air horns are legal. However, musical or changing tone air-horns are definately illegal on UK roads.

Whenever I buy a replacement runabout I always fit some trusty airhorns for exactly the same reasons as you say. Even my TINY Fiat Panda 750 FIRE had them, along with 100w bulbs. It is my personal upgrade everytime. Makes driving so much safer....

Andy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RickRick

posted on 28/1/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
ahh so your the person following me making me blind!

nothing worse than overbright headlights in the rear and side mirrors

zetec

posted on 28/1/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Second the Nautilus horn, really loud and neat all in one unit.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

MkIndy7

posted on 28/1/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've had air horns before and know quite a few people that have.. and all of the compressors have failed!.

I try and use mine as little as possible as they often only agitate a situation.. other than when you have to announce you prescence!.
I think they need regular use or the compressor seizes up (probably on the cheeper ones).

We've often just used a Quality horn off a big car in the Scrappers, I think the current one is from a Saab n thats very meaty.. other than that Vauxhalls have a pair, each with a different tone that are very loud!

COREdevelopments

posted on 28/1/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
those hornblasters are class!! gotta get some for my van! the videos are funny too, they scare the crap out of people

Rob

Danozeman

posted on 28/1/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I had air horns fitted to my car for that reason. when someone carves you up and you blast that they soon jump.

I think mine were ring ones, twin tone with a compressor. Very oud indeed and not very expensive. Still got em in the garage somewhere to go on me locost.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

adithorp

posted on 28/1/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Nautilus for me as well. Your average horn says "excuse me, would you mind not doing that". Nautilus is more "STOP THAT NOW!" but with expletives.

adrian

RazMan

posted on 28/1/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Nautilus is more "STOP THAT NOW!" but with expletives.

Spot on Adrian

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Marcus

posted on 28/1/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that even musical air horns are legal as long as the car is pre '73 (?)

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

ditchlewis

posted on 29/1/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
OOOOOHHHHHHH those nautilus horns look good 139dB and they look good.

best i saw were £24 for duel horns

ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.