Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAD
MikeCapon

posted on 1/2/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
CAD

Following an upgrade to a PC running Vista I now find that my design software (Macromedia Freehand 8) will not run on Vista
Adobe, the owners of Freehand have "no plans to support Freehand for Vista" Nice. Does anyone have, or can point me in the right direction to, a decent CAD program? I don't mind spending the time to learn a new system. It would be good if the prog is able to open other CAD formats. If it could also open .fh8 files that would be extraordinary but I somehow doubt it. Shame cos I've got around 500 drawings on FH.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 1/2/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Dare I say Solidworks 2008...

Prefer 2007 myself but it may not be Vista compatible....

Support for Windows XP will cease 2009 (according to Computer Weekly) so looks like Vista soon or changing OS altogether...

Steve

RazMan

posted on 1/2/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Most CAD progs are monsters to learn but I found Rhinoceros fairly easy to pick up, although I have yet to design something from scratch. I also have Solidworks 2008 which looks a bit daunting for me anyway.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Solidworks 08 why not. Daunting to learn maybe, but daunting to pay for almost certainly. How much does that cost? And what is Rhinocerous?
Delinquent

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Solidworks 08 why not. Daunting to learn maybe, but daunting to pay for almost certainly. How much does that cost? And what is Rhinocerous?

SW... sit down with a stiff drink ready when you phone about prices.

That said, Freehand isn't really CAD - unless it changed out of all recognition in the last few years? It's an illustration and layout package. Far closer in similarity to Adobe Illustrator (which Adobe were running long before they bought MM)

Illustrator CS2 (if you can still get a copy) or CS3 will I'm sure be much closer to what you are used to and be a fraction of the cost of SW or Rhino. I know for a fact that earlier versions of illustrator can open (import) freehand files, but haven't tried it for years so not sure about later versions.

Of course if you are looking for it for 3D capable CAD purposes rather than illustration then Rhino is a good (cheaper) alternative to SW.

MikeCapon

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
You're right. Freehand is not at all CAD. It's just that I happened to have already learnt Freehand when I started to need drawing capacity. Since then (94) I'd just stuck with it because it worked OK for me.
As for prices, if Rhino is cheaper it's already $1000!!
I was rather hoping to find an older CAD package available on the cheap or even FOC. The 500 odd drawings I've got on FH are all from my last project which I no longer have anything to do with so that's not a big prob. Anyone know of anything?

mcerd1

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
And what is Rhinocerous?

www.rhino3d.com

you use it a bit like autocad (its very easy) has built in tutorials to teach yourself the basics

There is a free demo version to download and its quite cheap if you buy it (well cheap by CAD standards)

Delinquent

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
You're right. Freehand is not at all CAD. It's just that I happened to have already learnt Freehand when I started to need drawing capacity. Since then (94) I'd just stuck with it because it worked OK for me.
As for prices, if Rhino is cheaper it's already $1000!!
I was rather hoping to find an older CAD package available on the cheap or even FOC. The 500 odd drawings I've got on FH are all from my last project which I no longer have anything to do with so that's not a big prob. Anyone know of anything?

I'd be concerned about anything older being able to run on your vista system. You think Rhino is bad, depending on what package you enquire about with SW, you can safely add another zero, then start cranking up the first 2 numbers...

If you don't need any of the higher functions of CAD have a look at illustrator - otherwise there are a few really cheap CAD programs - I think Cobalt is quite cheap as well?

Or do what I did, make friends with someone leaving the world of CAD who can lend you a PC with their own software already loaded (OK that one may require considerable effort... )

RazMan

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Bittorrents

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
a cracked full version of autocad 2005 is available to download free on limewire

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Loco_Bill

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Second that........................

Try NX4.0 or 5.0, its soooooooooo much better than the rest.

MikeCapon

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Er, thanks. Can you help me here. "Cracked" does that mean it's broken? Surely not? Sorry I'm not at all up to speed with some of this jargon. And what's limewire. How does that work then?

Edited to add: NX4, 5? Help!! I have enough people speaking a foreign language over here already!

[Edited on 1/2/08 by MikeCapon]

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry cracked means the authorization code has been defeated. On the version to download there are two extra word files that contain instructions on the procedure, very easy to do. It's a fully working version, no errors so far. It's is also 3D capable if your up to that.

Limewire is one of these download sites, users have a shared folder on their computers and they share files, like music etc. It's a one off payment to join. There are a few of them going about.

[Edited on 1/2/08 by Mr Whippy]

MikeCapon

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you Mr Whippy. I've had a look at limewire. I take it there are no risks there? I've always looked at these free download sites like easy women. Not difficult to get want you want but always a worry of catching something you don't want.
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm well I think I should point out that there are also a lot of bogus files on these sites that either contains viruses or links to unsuitable websites. It can be difficult to spot them unless you have done a lot of downloading. Be careful and always have a virus guard on.

I've always been amazed that a MP3 music file can open a website.

I have used limewire for a long time now and got a lot from it, you just need to use your common sense to pick out the rubbish.

caber

posted on 1/2/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you are doing with it but Google Sketch Up is free easy to use and exports in DXF. Its not a Cad package more a 3D design tool but I have seen it produce very competent complex drawings once you get a handle on it.

The other CAD package is Vectorworks. This is ecellent, ful featured and a damn sight cheaper than autocad.

caber

Mix

posted on 1/2/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using Turbocad in various editions for a few years now and am very happy with it, currently they are offering an upgrade to existing users, Turbocad 14 with architectural and mechanical add ons for £100. Mine's in the post
Plenty of other offers, Google Avanquest, NTDWM

Regards Mick

MikeCapon

posted on 4/2/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for some very useful info. Much appreciated.
Syd Bridge

posted on 4/2/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I use Rhino and Solidworks.

Rhino is a surfacing package, used by most design houses for BIW, before porting to Catia. It's well under £1K, and extremely good value for money. There's also a button somewhere that allows you to use Autocad commands if that's what you are used to.

Solidworks is more for solids, but it's surfacing is not up to Rhino. If you want a legal version, then talk to them about the monthly contract scheme, if you are going to use it near to full time. About £80/month last time my mate spoke to me, and he gets all upgrades free and immediately.

Horses for courses!

I still use Autocad for 80%~90% of my daily work though. Quick and straight forward computer drawing board.

Then there's the Catia that I get from one of my employers, ...a whole different ball game. But Solidworks will be the same in a couple of years. Both come from Dassault Systemes, initially, but Catia is tied to IBM, and therein is the reason why SW will match it very soon.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 4/2/08 by Syd Bridge]

kastrato

posted on 4/2/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I am using Autocad and 3D Studio max on my work. I am an Architect though. These software are very powerfull and very difficult to handle. But If you get familiar with one then all the rest are working with the same principles.
Illustrator, Corel, Photoshop, paintwork etc are not CAD software is just little toys for playing with images if you want something that you can draw with you need Autocar, Solidworks, Archicad etc.
Rhino, 3D Studio MAX, ARTlantis etc are rendering machings that can be used to create extraordinary forms such as curves and spline.
If you need a copy of any of the above software contact me to send you one.

MK INDY fireblade

Delinquent

posted on 4/2/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kastrato
Illustrator, Corel, Photoshop, paintwork etc are not CAD software is just little toys for playing with images

LOL illustrator and photoshop are by no means toys, they are extremely complex and adept pieces of software, just aimed at a different task and not CAD in this sense.

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/2/08 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Try: www.emachineshop.com

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.