Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top harness mountings.
Doug68

posted on 2/2/08 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Top harness mountings.

Hi All,

I'm thinking about how to mount the top harness eye-bolts. In common with GT40's I've got an engine immediately behind the roll bar and don't want straps going into the engine area as that seems a recipe for disaster.

I'm also trying to achieve a flat face at the back of the roll frame to make it easier to mount the fire wall.

What you can see in the picture is the 44.5mm x 2.5mm DOM main loop and all the other tubes are 38mm x 2.5 DOM.

The intention is to put top-hat bosses into the horizontal tube and bolt up the eye bolt through that.

On the downside this leaves the threads taking all the applied load in a prang, which I'm not sure is a good idea?

Does anyone have any experience of doing something similar or other recommendations instead? Would this sort of arrangement be FIA sanctioned (I ask that as they seem to have the highest standards)?

BTW I've also posted this question on GT40s.com for cross reference. Rescued attachment SeatBeltMount.jpg
Rescued attachment SeatBeltMount.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Kaspa

posted on 2/2/08 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Doug mate beleive or not they prefer to have the eye bolts mounted verticly with the bolt in shear,that way you can use an eye bolt or a flat flange conector.
cheers Kaspa

understeer= when you hit the wall front first
oversteer=when you hit the wall back first
HP= how fast you hit the wall
Torque= how far the wall moves when you hit it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 2/2/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
If I go vertical with the bolt then they'll need to be upside down, I don't see why that'd be an issue, unless anyone knows better?

I think I could ditch the tube in between the cross braces too, again unless anyones got a good reason not to?

BTW its 37c outside right now so that's my excuse for not being in the shed right now.

[Edited on 2/2/08 by Doug68] Rescued attachment SeatBeltMount.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Kaspa

posted on 2/2/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Doug just went through my NZMS book an it says nothing about having to have them top or bottom, just all the belt mounts shown on all cage plans are vertical, so i very much doubt it would be a problem. i have the same dilema as you re the x brace so I'm just going to mount mine around the horizontal tube, quite legal and acceptable.
kaspa

understeer= when you hit the wall front first
oversteer=when you hit the wall back first
HP= how fast you hit the wall
Torque= how far the wall moves when you hit it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 2/2/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I've seen that method on race cars before and I think it'd actually be technically the best way to go.

However I've got grave doubts I could get it passed the Engineer & on the road if I did it like that.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

RazMan

posted on 2/2/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
How about going the same way as I did? I have my harness fixings much lower (in the square section steel in your pic), looping the harness up and over the round section toward the seat. No sticky out bits and Mr SVA loved it.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Doug68

posted on 2/2/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure that'd help much as the situation down there is a bit more complex with sheet metal coming together and fastened to that square section.

I'll shove a pic up in a bit with the sheet metal shown.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Doug68

posted on 2/2/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm actually quite happy with this now unless anyone cares to shoot it down? Rescued attachment SeatBeltMount.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/2/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
tube tube everywhere what a lot of tube

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Doug68

posted on 2/2/08 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Western Australia's economy is largely Dependant on continued high demand for Iron Ore.

I'm just doing my bit to keep the economy going!

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/2/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
Western Australia's economy is largely Dependant on continued high demand for Iron Ore.

I'm just doing my bit to keep the economy going!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

..::Nightfire::..

posted on 4/2/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Why use eye bolts at all? Just wrap the harness around the tube and through a buckle?

Like this:

[Edited on 4/2/08 by ..::Nightfire::..]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.